Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Re: Ravens' Top 3 Team Needs, 2014 Draft and Beyond

Based upon performance and payroll, I rank the top needs as...

OT (Either if Monroe is resigned, Oher is gone, Reid is below average, and Wagner unknown*)
    FS (Dig has been a bit more up than down, but I think his price will be too high. No depth here either)
    TE (We do jack isht in the middle of the field and no one on the roster can block)

* = I'm willing to believe that the FO thinks a whole lot more of Wagner than I do.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    As we get further and further down the stretch I believe my present read on the WR situation will prove correct. Doss offers some big-play capability as a slot/possession WR, but his hands and route-running are just not trustworthy enough to hand him the "starting" slot job (assuming we continue to play mostly 3-wide sets next year.) I've seen nothing from the rest of the WR corps that indicates we have a second outside-the-numbers threat beyond Torrey Smith--who has been great at times, but far too inconsistent to be a true #1 WR at this point.

Marlon Brown is our slot receiver of the future if he stays healthy, but they still need another guy on the outside who defenses have to respect in all areas of the field. I'm lobbying hard for Sammy Watkins or Mike Evans in the 1st round if they're on the BPA list. I haven't really scouted WRs in this class all that well yet, but there's not many guys I'm excited about as "perimeter" WRs other than those 2.
    I hear you. Among other things, it appears that Marlon will need a complete off-season to get his knee to 100%, so there's serious risk at the position (JJ gone, Doss being Doss, DT doing nothing in particular, etc.). If Watkins or Evans drop to us, or if we trade a 3rd to move up 3-5 spots to get either guy then that would be great, but our O-line tho...

Anyways...these should help for WR looks.
    http://draftbreakdown.com/players/?position=WR
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

OT because probably we do not resign both Monroe and Oher. If we do then obviously not a big priority.

WR because we got obvious holes.

FS obvious need but it it is either Ha Ha in the first or we wait a few rounds for value.

TE probably too though I wonder if this could be more of a day 2 selection if we re-sign Pitta. I don't see value here at the top half of the first round of the draft. We'll take a WR before a TE in round 1.

C day 2 or early in day 3: Swanson or Grasu?

DT We will keep Ngata 1 or 2 more years, but Jones will be gone and good chance Cody too so even with K-M healthy we could use another body.

ILB Can't imagine Jameel will get paid so if BPA is there in day 2 then maybe we pull the trigger. Otherwise day 3.

CB Depth particularly if we do not sign Graham.

OL besides a possible starting tackle cause we need more quality.

I see some folks are saying RB but I don't. Rice will be back cause of his dead money plus he gets somewhat of a pass due to the OL play.

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    What a shame. Lots of talent there. He'll probably never make it.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Dane Brugler ‏@dpbrugler 17m
    Bummer that #NotreDame NG Louis Nix is done for the season due to left knee surgery. But he clearly wasn't at 100% this year.
    It will be interesting to see where he's selected.

@BigPlayReceiver

Of course not. No one debates facts. However, you've moved the goalposts since your original retort, which was not a fact, but an opinion/observation based upon a set of heavily contributing circumstances that you didn't acknowledge.
    Nobody is moving the goal posts but you.

If a guy enters camp at 3rd or 4th (or 5th in Reeds case) on the depth chart, and someone 6th or 7th moves up to 3rd, he beat them out. That was my original point and it has remained my point.

It's not in dispute. Doss and Reed were completely made expendable because Brown beat them out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

He'll never play a snap of NFL football. Such a shame as he is super, super talented. Usually talent will win out over off-field concerns enough to at least get a guy a UDFA shot, but I strongly doubt that happens with Lyerla. That kind of history is over the line for even the Bengals.

Reese's Senior Bowl ‏@seniorbowl 17m
    TE CJ Fiedorowicz from @TheIowaHawkeyes has accepted an invite from the 2014 Reese's Senior Bowl!
    Along with Eric Ebron (UNC) declaring for the draft today.

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Along with Eric Ebron (UNC) declaring for the draft today.
    Nice.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Nice.
    He's an incredible athlete, but man, those hands.
    Still his upside is so damn hard to dismiss though...

@BigPlayReceiver

Of course, all of this depends on how FA shakes out, but as our team is presently constituted, this is my take.....

1) OL.
    The level of suck is obviously exasperated by the implementation of the ZBS, but talent has something to do with it as well. Unless we're going to up & sign Mack away from the Cleveland, I'd like to target the highest rated Center in class.

2) DL.
    It seems that there's a wealth of DL talent is this year's class, & I can't stomach getting run on like we do. I could see us snatching up a highly-rated prospect early in the draft if there's value.

3) WR.
    Not sure how this draft grades out right now on Receivers, but I really like several of the guys who are typically overshadowed. No Megatron for us to scoop up, or I'd be all for it, but guys like Landry (LSU) & Norwood (Bama) who I really like as pro prospects, aren't projected to go very early.