Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Weekly Monday morning reality check.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens825 View Post
    I thought i read somewhere about Torrey Smith being our most reliable weapon?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...eliable-weapon

Where the fuck has he been? ONE catch yesterday for 12 yards? ONE td in 6 games? He is third in total yards among WR's but that is a garbage stat. He could have 5,000 yards receiving this season but without the TD's who gives a shit. You don't win games with the most yards.
    Well, when he's the only one getting the yards, you tend to think teams can cover him with 2-3-4 guys and be relatively assured, they won't get burned.

Dude, it's not like Torrey is dropping balls. HE'S COVERED. That's the problem, is as a #1 WR, he also gets the #1 coverage now. Yesterday was good in that we saw Joe start finding some of those secondary WRs better, like Doss, Brown, and Jacoby back. If we work them in well, defenses are still going to throw most of the heat at Torrey, but they have to respect the other receivers a bit more, which will open things up for Torrey.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    If all you're looking at is W/L then that's a reasonable attitude. If you look at the way they lost you ought to be barfing your guts out. The defense is playing its heart out but the offense is broken & no one seems to have a clue how to fix it. And if it doesn't get fixed in the next 4 weeks the team will be 3-6 with 3 losses in the division & you can kiss the season goodbye.
    Agreed. Easily the most disconcerting thing about this season has been the play of the offensive line. No one on that unit is playing well. They are not physical, nor do they play with much intensity. Outside of the second half of the Dolphins game, they have been getting their asses handed to them. Something has to change.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Been saying all year we'd be 3-3 at this point as well. I also had the caveat that we'd be in good shape to still win the division.

My concern level is ratcheted up a bit, but not by much. Obviously, the O line is concerning but still not impossible to overcome. The bye week is going to be the make or break moment for me.

Regardless of the outcome next week, I am going to be focused on the improvement or lack thereof, of the O line post bye week.
    If what you witnessed yesterday does not cause you great concern then I would ask what would. Six games in you pretty much have an idea what you are about. And this team is about getting punched in the mouth on offense and meekly walking away. You could put Dennis Pitta, Boldin and Jamal Lewis on this team and it wouldn't make a difference. We are getting obliterated up front.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    If what you witnessed yesterday does not cause you great concern then I would ask what would. Six games in you pretty much have an idea what you are about. And this team is about getting punched in the mouth on offense and meekly walking away. You could put Dennis Pitta, Boldin and Jamal Lewis on this team and it wouldn't make a difference. We are getting obliterated up front.
    We know the problem. That's why my concern level isn't as high as others.

If we were sucking AND having no clue why? Yes, I'd have great concern.

Our problems can be fixed. Question remains if we fix them or not.

Blog Entries
    Again, we lost against a good team by 3 points, and certain posters are having severe melt downs. A poster actually just asked where Torry Smith has been this year lol, claiming that receiving yards are a garbage stat, haha ok bro.

I'm still feeling "ok" about our chances this year as it just seems to be the Oline and run game that is the major problem. The passing game could be better, but it's better than what I thought it was going to be. I like how the younger guys have stepped up to replace Boldin. Alright, Doss is not going to be near the player Boldin is at this point, but I think the offense would have been as bad even with Boldin this year. You cant do much if you can't run the ball AT ALL.

The pass defense could also be better, but it's good enough to get by with, and just as good if bot better than what we had between 2009 and 2010.

The run game is just so pathetic, I really don't understand how it can be this bad. Unless something can be done to improve the run game (which I DO think is possible), I see this team as a 9-7 team at best, and 1 and done as a wild card team.

If the run game can be fixed to at least an average level of competence, I see us winning the division, and will be able to make noise in the play offs. The passing game could be a lot better if we could run the ball better. The front 7 is elite and could be even better with a good ground game. I feel sorry for Suggs and co.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Well, when he's the only one getting the yards, you tend to think teams can cover him with 2-3-4 guys and be relatively assured, they won't get burned.

Dude, it's not like Torrey is dropping balls. HE'S COVERED. That's the problem, is as a #1 WR, he also gets the #1 coverage now. Yesterday was good in that we saw Joe start finding some of those secondary WRs better, like Doss, Brown, and Jacoby back. If we work them in well, defenses are still going to throw most of the heat at Torrey, but they have to respect the other receivers a bit more, which will open things up for Torrey.

So none of the other 31 other teams #1 receivers are being covered?

I know there is a place you can look to see how many times a receiver is targeted, drops, catches and such but really i don't have the desire to find it.

What i do see is Torrey has 28 catches for 568 yards and average 20.3 YPC and only a single TD to show for it.

Flacco gambled and won with his contract. He is getting 120 million to put the ball exactly where it is supposed to be. Sometimes you need to thread the needle and throw into coverage and that receiver needs to fight for that ball. Boldin was very physical and fought for the ball.

Smith may be fast but he needs to get physical and fight for the ball. You can't out run every defender all the time.

Blog Entries

Can they be fixed? Is it just the coaches being stubborn and forcing the talent into a scheme they can't handle or is it the personnel? The coaches have to be disgusted by the same things that everyone else is seeing. No coach likes not being able to run the ball. Using extra linemen and extra tight ends plus a fullback and still getting obliterated tells me that they might not know how to fix this.

iggyman555 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens825 View Post
    Not to sound like an asshole or anything but how long have these guys been together as a unit? Didn't they have a training camp? Shouldn't they be able to do their job by week 6 plus the month or two or however long camp is?

If they don't have their shit together yet i don't see how having a bye week is going to make much of a difference. Shittsburgh has a terrible O-line too and we are lucky we are not in the basement with them. Maybe i (we) have been spoiled but the Ravens and squeelers are supposed to be fighting for the top spot by week 6 and the rest of the season, not seeing who can stay out of the basement.

Pissburgh knows they need a win next week and we go to their house. Being the visiting team is hard enough but facing a desperate team makes is worse. I don't like the odds next week at all.
    :word

iggyman555 Guest

how does it get fixed???it has been a major issue and has not been fixed yet.

Weekly Monday morning reality check.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Can they be fixed? Is it just the coaches being stubborn and forcing the talent into a scheme they can't handle or is it the personnel? The coaches have to be disgusted by the same things that everyone else is seeing. No coach likes not being able to run the ball. Using extra linemen and extra tight ends plus a fullback and still getting obliterated tells me that they might not know how to fix this.
    That's the big question, isn't it?

The fact their adjusting as you described, tells me the opposite. They're trying different sets and it's still not working but they are adjusting. The Monroe acquisition tells me that as well.

There's also the possibility that nobody has really touched on. Maybe the talent overachieved last year and this is the regression to the mean. If that's the case, we are really deep shit.

Blog Entries

Does anyone really want to watch this team. The Ravens need to realize they are a pass team first, then run off that. With Rice ( slow and no shiftiness), the Center cant run block and wont be able to ever. Sometimes you arent good enough. Gino..

There's still a blue sky over my head this morning.
    At this point, I figured 3-3 with DEN, HOU and GB as losses.
    The defense has come together rather earlier than I thought, but it will get even better.
    I don't understand what JC is doing up in the booth, but I can't expect much more from him as he's been forced in a single dimension approach.

After shithousing Cam last year, no solution would be surprising. I would suspect a coaching change during the bye if the OL lays an egg at PIT, which I strongly suspect they will.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver