Blog Entries

Stokley / Cap Questions

Question: if Stokely is picked up elsewhere for vet minimum, I understand we don't pay his salary. Would we get cap savings as well?

2nd question: if Stokely is near the end of his career and dealing with a groin injury, what are the chances he says "thanks but no thanks" and banks the Ravens' money anyway if they try to sign him back? Basically, he now has no financial motivation to sign. Only professional motivation, which might be lessened by injury and the fact that he is almost done.

Re: Help us improve this site with your valued input

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    Question: if Stokely is picked up elsewhere for vet minimum, I understand we don't pay his salary. Would we get cap savings as well?

2nd question: if Stokely is near the end of his career and dealing with a groin injury, what are the chances he says "thanks but no thanks" and banks the Ravens' money anyway if they try to sign him back? Basically, he now has no financial motivation to sign. Only professional motivation, which might be lessened by injury and the fact that he is almost done.
    Actually I believe that for a vested veteran, the salary is paid in a lump sum as termination pay, and if the player signs somewhere else after that, he gets to double-dip (get paid minimum by the new team as well, though obviously without it being guaranteed since he was not on the roster for week 1 with the new team).

So we can't get any cap savings on Stokley's salary, no matter what.

At least, that is the way I understand things. Hopefully, Ravor will come by and set the record straight.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    Actually I believe that for a vested veteran, the salary is paid in a lump sum as termination pay, and if the player signs somewhere else after that, he gets to double-dip (get paid minimum by the new team as well, though obviously without it being guaranteed since he was not on the roster for week 1 with the new team).

So we can't get any cap savings on Stokley's salary, no matter what.

At least, that is the way I understand things. Hopefully, Ravor will come by and set the record straight.
    Wow. I had no idea it worked that way. So if we sign him back, he gets paid again? Or not at all?

Sorry for posting in the wrong thread. How do I get it back to the right one?

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    Wow. I had no idea it worked that way. So if we sign him back, he gets paid again? Or not at all?

Sorry for posting in the wrong thread. How do I get it back to the right one?
    I am not sure what happens if the same team re-signs him. Plus I just read in the CBA that a player only gets to take the 'guaranteed' full-salary termination pay out once in his career, so I have no idea whether a player can turn it down (save it for later) or how it works. We really need Ravor to explain it to us.

I also think we need a mod to move these posts to a new thread, if that is possible. Or you could restart a fresh thread, I guess.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Bumping.

I don't think he double dips. That would be a violation of the CBA.

You can't pay a player more than his contract.

Blog Entries

According to an article here
    http://rulingsports.com/2012/07/18/w...ned-contracts/

double dipping is possible, depending on the terms of the contract.
    The key is Offset Language
    Offset language is a contract term which states that if a team releases a player (per a number of potential reasons, including poor performance), the unpaid money they guaranteed him in the contract is offset by money he will potentially receive from another team when they pick him up.
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old