Page 1 of 12 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coachwatch

Coachwatch

every year we see the sad but fascinating sight of Head Coaches getting bagged out, sometimes during the season. New coaches and those with recent success are usually fairly safe; teams trending down, or non-winning programs in their third year of losing, are the most vulnerable. QB issues are usually a good indication.

Greg Schiano, Bucs. His abrasive style won't win many friends. Worse, the Bucs aren't winning many games. He shipped out his QB. He probly won't be far behind. ^.^ ^.^ ^.^ (three buzzards, only because it's early)

Mike Munchak, Titans. Well-regarded football man, but they just aren't winning. word was he was borderline last year. barring big turnaround, I see him gone. Jake Locker? meh. ^.^ ^.^ (two buzzards)

Jason Garrett, Cowboys. Frustrating how they win just enough to get Dallas hopes up but nothing in the playoffs (if they make it that far). Barring a postseason run this year I think Mr. Jones--I respect his patience, a lot of owners would have pulled the plug by now--makes a change. Romo typifies the team; good, just not that good. ^.^ ^.^ (two buzzards)

Tom Coughlin, Giants. Won two Super Bowls. Now 0-5 and I think everyone's tuning him out. I heard he was going to retire after this season anyway. I still believe in Eli but he needs more protection. ^.^ (one buzzard)

Mike Tomlin. Steelers hopes keep Tomlin down. lose playoff to Tebow, miss playoffs, start 0-4. not a good trend. if I ran the Steelers I'd trade Ben now to a quick-fix team (Titans? Rams?) while he still had value, and try the Landry guy. Pittsburgh traditionally doesn't make rash moves (at HC at least) so he may be good for another year, but there isn't much optimism there. ^.^ (one buzzard)

Whoever's coaching the Panthers. with a weapon like Cam folks expect results. ^^ (one buzzard)

Gary Kubiak, Texans. Getting worse instead of better. Kubiak/Schaub won divisions, got to the playoffs...might get shipped out together. good talent here on D and RB so this team could turn around quick with the right coach (Billick? Gruden?) ^ / (one and a half buzzards)
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

Re: Coachwatch

Schiano - Odds are with the way he handled the Josh Freeman situation, if they have a losing record...he is gone.

Munchak - Probably out, Kenny Britt hasn't done any favors by saying he wouldn't come back to the Titans next year.

Garrett - I'm sure that his time is just about up, it's not completely his fault when Romo chokes.

Coughlin - It's time for him to pack it in, he won 2 super bowls with the Giants, but its time for him to go.

Tomlin - He's done nothing on his own to prove he is a good head coach. The Super Bowl win he has was ONLY because of the team carried over from Cowher's tenure.

Rivera - He might get another season with the Panthers but its iffy.

Kubiak - The fact that he's not taking advantage of the two workhorse RBs he has and letting Schaub through a pick 6 in four straight games is enough for him to go. I think that if it gets bad enough, he could get ejected by week 10.
    "A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football." - Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Kubiak and Rivera are def on the hot seat.

If Coughoin weren't retiring, I'd say he is feeling some pressure too.

Don't forget about Rex.

I also think Mike Smith and Jim Schwartz could be on the hot seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Kubiak and Rivera are def on the hot seat.

If Coughoin weren't retiring, I'd say he is feeling some pressure too.

Don't forget about Rex.

I also think Mike Smith and Jim Schwartz could be on the hot seat.

Rex was supposed to go 4-12 and get fired this year but apparently he didn't get the memo. He's 3-2 with the rookie qb that will only get better. I give him props, he's been very successful as an NFL HC. He has more playoff wins than Mike Smith (Atlanta) or Kubiak, by the way.
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sailorsam View Post
    Rex was supposed to go 4-12 and get fired this year but apparently he didn't get the memo. He's 3-2 with the rookie qb that will only get better. I give him props, he's been very successful as an NFL HC. He has more playoff wins than Mike White (Atlanta), by the way.
    I don't buy it yet. Everyone was on Rex's nuts after Sanchez's rookie year too and look where that got him. Wait until the rest of the league gets film on Geno.

If the Jets have a shot at a high profile coach, they'd consider it.

Blog Entries

I'll say it like this, there will plenty of DC candidates this upcoming off-season.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sailorsam View Post
    every year we see the sad but fascinating sight of Head Coaches getting bagged out, sometimes during the season. New coaches and those with recent success are usually fairly safe; teams trending down, or non-winning programs in their third year of losing, are the most vulnerable. QB issues are usually a good indication.

Greg Schiano, Bucs. His abrasive style won't win many friends. Worse, the Bucs aren't winning many games. He shipped out his QB. He probly won't be far behind. ^.^ ^.^ ^.^ (three buzzards, only because it's early)

Mike Munchak, Titans. Well-regarded football man, but they just aren't winning. word was he was borderline last year. barring big turnaround, I see him gone. Jake Locker? meh. ^.^ ^.^ (two buzzards)

Jason Garrett, Cowboys. Frustrating how they win just enough to get Dallas hopes up but nothing in the playoffs (if they make it that far). Barring a postseason run this year I think Mr. Jones--I respect his patience, a lot of owners would have pulled the plug by now--makes a change. Romo typifies the team; good, just not that good. ^.^ ^.^ (two buzzards)

Tom Coughlin, Giants. Won two Super Bowls. Now 0-5 and I think everyone's tuning him out. I heard he was going to retire after this season anyway. I still believe in Eli but he needs more protection. ^.^ (one buzzard)

Mike Tomlin. Steelers hopes keep Tomlin down. lose playoff to Tebow, miss playoffs, start 0-4. not a good trend. if I ran the Steelers I'd trade Ben now to a quick-fix team (Titans? Rams?) while he still had value, and try the Landry guy. Pittsburgh traditionally doesn't make rash moves (at HC at least) so he may be good for another year, but there isn't much optimism there. ^.^ (one buzzard)

Whoever's coaching the Panthers. with a weapon like Cam folks expect results. ^^ (one buzzard)

Gary Kubiak, Texans. Getting worse instead of better. Kubiak/Schaub won divisions, got to the playoffs...might get shipped out together. good talent here on D and RB so this team could turn around quick with the right coach (Billick? Gruden?) ^ / (one and a half buzzards)
    Excellent post Sam. The Buzzards are an awesome touch.
    Let Joe Cool lead the way 😎

I don't buy it yet. Everyone was on Rex's nuts after Sanchez's rookie year too and look where that got him. Wait until the rest of the league gets film on Geno.

If the Jets have a shot at a high profile coach, they'd consider it.

I don't think so...Johnson absolutely loves Rex.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I don't think so...Johnson absolutely loves Rex.

He does, but if he doesn't make the playoffs and potentially finishes 3rd in the division, I could see him getting canned.

Blog Entries

Rex is good for the game and good for N.Y. That being said, I'm glad we kept Marvin around. He was on life support for a while but he had to break on through to the other side with Mike Brown.

Rex won't survive another so-so season.
    Let Joe Cool lead the way 😎

He does, but if he doesn't make the playoffs and potentially finishes 3rd in the division, I could see him getting canned.

It certainly is a possibility, but I think Johnson is actually looking for a reason to keep him as opposed to how most owners are looking for reasons to cut the cord.

Gino probably even helps give Rex some time.

I think he's back if he can hang around .500

Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Munchak? The Titans are 3-2 and haven't been bad this year. I think the fact that Locker was playing well before his injury will save him for another year regardless of what happens now that they are playing with Fitzpatrick, who also didn't look bad last weekend. I think they would have to go totally in the tank and stay there when Locker gets back for him to get fired. I think he started this season on the hot seat but have to believe it has cooled off so far.

I don't think Tomlin belongs on this list either. He's absolutely safe.

The others I mostly agree with. I'd add Mike Shanahan as well if the friction between him and Griffin is to be believed & the Slurs don't play well this year.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52