Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 135

Thread: Coachwatch

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Eastern Shore
    Posts
    1,976

    Coachwatch



    every year we see the sad but fascinating sight of Head Coaches getting bagged out, sometimes during the season. New coaches and those with recent success are usually fairly safe; teams trending down, or non-winning programs in their third year of losing, are the most vulnerable. QB issues are usually a good indication.

    Greg Schiano, Bucs. His abrasive style won't win many friends. Worse, the Bucs aren't winning many games. He shipped out his QB. He probly won't be far behind. ^.^ ^.^ ^.^ (three buzzards, only because it's early)

    Mike Munchak, Titans. Well-regarded football man, but they just aren't winning. word was he was borderline last year. barring big turnaround, I see him gone. Jake Locker? meh. ^.^ ^.^ (two buzzards)

    Jason Garrett, Cowboys. Frustrating how they win just enough to get Dallas hopes up but nothing in the playoffs (if they make it that far). Barring a postseason run this year I think Mr. Jones--I respect his patience, a lot of owners would have pulled the plug by now--makes a change. Romo typifies the team; good, just not that good. ^.^ ^.^ (two buzzards)

    Tom Coughlin, Giants. Won two Super Bowls. Now 0-5 and I think everyone's tuning him out. I heard he was going to retire after this season anyway. I still believe in Eli but he needs more protection. ^.^ (one buzzard)

    Mike Tomlin. Steelers hopes keep Tomlin down. lose playoff to Tebow, miss playoffs, start 0-4. not a good trend. if I ran the Steelers I'd trade Ben now to a quick-fix team (Titans? Rams?) while he still had value, and try the Landry guy. Pittsburgh traditionally doesn't make rash moves (at HC at least) so he may be good for another year, but there isn't much optimism there. ^.^ (one buzzard)

    Whoever's coaching the Panthers. with a weapon like Cam folks expect results. ^^ (one buzzard)

    Gary Kubiak, Texans. Getting worse instead of better. Kubiak/Schaub won divisions, got to the playoffs...might get shipped out together. good talent here on D and RB so this team could turn around quick with the right coach (Billick? Gruden?) ^ / (one and a half buzzards)
    Baltimore Ravens, 2012 NFL Champions!




  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bel Air, MD
    Posts
    816

    Re: Coachwatch

    Schiano - Odds are with the way he handled the Josh Freeman situation, if they have a losing record...he is gone.

    Munchak - Probably out, Kenny Britt hasn't done any favors by saying he wouldn't come back to the Titans next year.

    Garrett - I'm sure that his time is just about up, it's not completely his fault when Romo chokes.

    Coughlin - It's time for him to pack it in, he won 2 super bowls with the Giants, but its time for him to go.

    Tomlin - He's done nothing on his own to prove he is a good head coach. The Super Bowl win he has was ONLY because of the team carried over from Cowher's tenure.

    Rivera - He might get another season with the Panthers but its iffy.

    Kubiak - The fact that he's not taking advantage of the two workhorse RBs he has and letting Schaub through a pick 6 in four straight games is enough for him to go. I think that if it gets bad enough, he could get ejected by week 10.
    "A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football." - Ray Lewis




  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,852
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Coachwatch

    Kubiak and Rivera are def on the hot seat.

    If Coughoin weren't retiring, I'd say he is feeling some pressure too.

    Don't forget about Rex.

    I also think Mike Smith and Jim Schwartz could be on the hot seat.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Eastern Shore
    Posts
    1,976

    Re: Coachwatch

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Kubiak and Rivera are def on the hot seat.

    If Coughoin weren't retiring, I'd say he is feeling some pressure too.

    Don't forget about Rex.

    I also think Mike Smith and Jim Schwartz could be on the hot seat.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Rex was supposed to go 4-12 and get fired this year but apparently he didn't get the memo. He's 3-2 with the rookie qb that will only get better. I give him props, he's been very successful as an NFL HC. He has more playoff wins than Mike Smith (Atlanta) or Kubiak, by the way.
    Baltimore Ravens, 2012 NFL Champions!




  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,852
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Coachwatch

    Quote Originally Posted by sailorsam View Post
    Rex was supposed to go 4-12 and get fired this year but apparently he didn't get the memo. He's 3-2 with the rookie qb that will only get better. I give him props, he's been very successful as an NFL HC. He has more playoff wins than Mike White (Atlanta), by the way.
    I don't buy it yet. Everyone was on Rex's nuts after Sanchez's rookie year too and look where that got him. Wait until the rest of the league gets film on Geno.

    If the Jets have a shot at a high profile coach, they'd consider it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Land of Verdite
    Posts
    13,337
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Coachwatch

    I'll say it like this, there will plenty of DC candidates this upcoming off-season.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"




  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    5,604

    Re: Coachwatch

    Quote Originally Posted by sailorsam View Post
    every year we see the sad but fascinating sight of Head Coaches getting bagged out, sometimes during the season. New coaches and those with recent success are usually fairly safe; teams trending down, or non-winning programs in their third year of losing, are the most vulnerable. QB issues are usually a good indication.

    Greg Schiano, Bucs. His abrasive style won't win many friends. Worse, the Bucs aren't winning many games. He shipped out his QB. He probly won't be far behind. ^.^ ^.^ ^.^ (three buzzards, only because it's early)

    Mike Munchak, Titans. Well-regarded football man, but they just aren't winning. word was he was borderline last year. barring big turnaround, I see him gone. Jake Locker? meh. ^.^ ^.^ (two buzzards)

    Jason Garrett, Cowboys. Frustrating how they win just enough to get Dallas hopes up but nothing in the playoffs (if they make it that far). Barring a postseason run this year I think Mr. Jones--I respect his patience, a lot of owners would have pulled the plug by now--makes a change. Romo typifies the team; good, just not that good. ^.^ ^.^ (two buzzards)

    Tom Coughlin, Giants. Won two Super Bowls. Now 0-5 and I think everyone's tuning him out. I heard he was going to retire after this season anyway. I still believe in Eli but he needs more protection. ^.^ (one buzzard)

    Mike Tomlin. Steelers hopes keep Tomlin down. lose playoff to Tebow, miss playoffs, start 0-4. not a good trend. if I ran the Steelers I'd trade Ben now to a quick-fix team (Titans? Rams?) while he still had value, and try the Landry guy. Pittsburgh traditionally doesn't make rash moves (at HC at least) so he may be good for another year, but there isn't much optimism there. ^.^ (one buzzard)

    Whoever's coaching the Panthers. with a weapon like Cam folks expect results. ^^ (one buzzard)

    Gary Kubiak, Texans. Getting worse instead of better. Kubiak/Schaub won divisions, got to the playoffs...might get shipped out together. good talent here on D and RB so this team could turn around quick with the right coach (Billick? Gruden?) ^ / (one and a half buzzards)
    Excellent post Sam. The Buzzards are an awesome touch.
    I want a Flacco jersey! Johnny Bench wore #5




  8. #8

    Re: Coachwatch

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I don't buy it yet. Everyone was on Rex's nuts after Sanchez's rookie year too and look where that got him. Wait until the rest of the league gets film on Geno.

    If the Jets have a shot at a high profile coach, they'd consider it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    I don't think so...Johnson absolutely loves Rex.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.




  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,852
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Coachwatch

    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I don't think so...Johnson absolutely loves Rex.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    He does, but if he doesn't make the playoffs and potentially finishes 3rd in the division, I could see him getting canned.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    5,604

    Re: Coachwatch

    Rex is good for the game and good for N.Y. That being said, I'm glad we kept Marvin around. He was on life support for a while but he had to break on through to the other side with Mike Brown.

    Rex won't survive another so-so season.
    I want a Flacco jersey! Johnny Bench wore #5




  11. #11

    Re: Coachwatch

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    He does, but if he doesn't make the playoffs and potentially finishes 3rd in the division, I could see him getting canned.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    It certainly is a possibility, but I think Johnson is actually looking for a reason to keep him as opposed to how most owners are looking for reasons to cut the cord.

    Gino probably even helps give Rex some time.

    I think he's back if he can hang around .500


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.




  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Calvert County
    Posts
    2,850
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Coachwatch

    Munchak? The Titans are 3-2 and haven't been bad this year. I think the fact that Locker was playing well before his injury will save him for another year regardless of what happens now that they are playing with Fitzpatrick, who also didn't look bad last weekend. I think they would have to go totally in the tank and stay there when Locker gets back for him to get fired. I think he started this season on the hot seat but have to believe it has cooled off so far.

    I don't think Tomlin belongs on this list either. He's absolutely safe.

    The others I mostly agree with. I'd add Mike Shanahan as well if the friction between him and Griffin is to be believed & the Slurs don't play well this year.




  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,852
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Coachwatch

    Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    Munchak? The Titans are 3-2 and haven't been bad this year. I think the fact that Locker was playing well before his injury will save him for another year regardless of what happens now that they are playing with Fitzpatrick, who also didn't look bad last weekend. I think they would have to go totally in the tank and stay there when Locker gets back for him to get fired. I think he started this season on the hot seat but have to believe it has cooled off so far.

    I don't think Tomlin belongs on this list either. He's absolutely safe.

    The others I mostly agree with. I'd add Mike Shanahan as well if the friction between him and Griffin is to be believed & the Slurs don't play well this year.
    I thought about Shanahan as well. The Skins are really not playing well at all and I think the way he handled RGIII last year was piss poor.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  14. #14

    Re: Coachwatch

    Tomlin is going nowhere...at least for a few more years.




  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Middle River
    Posts
    4,012
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Coachwatch

    I hope Tomlin doesn't go anywhere, would love to see him draft a QB #1 and bust the franchise for years to come.
    Part of what we are seeing is the fact that he is not a good drafter.... as the players he inherited are aging/leaving/retiring he is not restocking the cupboard with major quality.
    He's been there since 2007
    Busted on all draft picks in 2008
    1st: Rashard Mendenhall, RB

    2nd: Limas Sweed, WR

    3rd: Bruce Davis, DE/OLB

    4th: Tony Hills, OL

    5th: Dennis Dixon, QB

    6th: Mike Humpal, OLB

    6th: Ryan Mundy, S
    Here are his first 3 picks each year

    2007
    Lawrence Timmons -LaMarr Woodley - Matt Spaeth

    2008
    Mendenhall - Limas Sweed - Bruce Davis

    2009
    Evander Hood - Kraig Urbik - Mike Wallace -Keenan Lewis
    (in 4+yrs DE Ziggy has 8.5 sacks is that a bust for a #1?)

    2010
    Pouncey -Jason Worilds - Emmanuel Sanders

    2011
    Cameron Heyward - Marcus Gilbert - Curtis Brown

    2012
    David DeCastro - Mike Adams - Sean Spence

    2013
    Jarvis Jones -Le'Veon Bell - Markus Wheaton
    To understand paranoid people better, follow them around.




Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland