Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Re: McKinnie tells Miami fan he wants to be a Dolphin

Whales and dolphins are kinda related, so I guess I can see why he wants to make the move.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Why would the Jags bother? Their season is over. They have a new coaching staff and a new GM that need to rebuild the team. They're much better off playing young guys and getting a sense of who they have on the roster. Mckinnie isn't part of any teams rebuilding program. He's old, fat and a dick.
    Trade McKinnie To Jacksonville?

This one is pure speculation – no reports or rumors.

But now that the Jacksonville Jaguars are down two starting left tackles after trading Eugene Monroe to the Ravens and first-round pick Luke Joeckel missing the rest of the season with a broken right ankle, Baltimore Beatdown’s Jason Butt proposes another trade between the two franchises.

The Jaguars could be in the market for another tackle, and there were rumors last week that the Ravens could be interested in dealing Bryant McKinnie after picking up Monroe.

“Here's where the Ravens could get a two-for-one and help the Jaguars in the process,” wrote Butt. “It would seem logical for the Ravens to work out a trade to send Bryant McKinnie to Jacksonville and perhaps get a late-round pick in return.”

McKinnie allowed six pressures in 37 pass-blocking snaps against Miami, according to Pro Football Focus (PFF). And the 13 times the Ravens ran the ball in McKinnie’s gaps, they only churned out 23 yards. The statistical website gave McKinnie a -5.9 overall grade, and ranked him 59th out of 61 tackles.

“McKinnie did nothing to disprove his reputation for being lazy, as he barely even tried to put up a fight for his job,” wrote PFF’s Michael Renner. “The same play-to-the-whistle mentality of Marshal Yanda could not be found in the 12th-year left tackle, as he was regularly caught standing upright if he thought a run had passed him or a play had been made.”

With that kind of performance, Butt believes a trade would be beneficial and the Ravens would be “better served” with Rick Wagner as Monroe's primary backup.

But would the Jags be interested in McKinnie after such a poor outing with his job on the line?

“The Jaguars would appear to be desperate for a tackle with starting experience, even if the tackle in question is not performing at that high of a level,” Butt wrote.

Obviously the same thing already being said on here, but it is being talked about outside of the Ravens fan base...

Blog Entries

That would be the ultimate karma if the Jags traded for McKinnie. You can't make that stuff up

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nickh0801 View Post
    Trade McKinnie To Jacksonville?

This one is pure speculation – no reports or rumors.

But now that the Jacksonville Jaguars are down two starting left tackles after trading Eugene Monroe to the Ravens and first-round pick Luke Joeckel missing the rest of the season with a broken right ankle, Baltimore Beatdown’s Jason Butt proposes another trade between the two franchises.

The Jaguars could be in the market for another tackle, and there were rumors last week that the Ravens could be interested in dealing Bryant McKinnie after picking up Monroe.

“Here's where the Ravens could get a two-for-one and help the Jaguars in the process,” wrote Butt. “It would seem logical for the Ravens to work out a trade to send Bryant McKinnie to Jacksonville and perhaps get a late-round pick in return.”

McKinnie allowed six pressures in 37 pass-blocking snaps against Miami, according to Pro Football Focus (PFF). And the 13 times the Ravens ran the ball in McKinnie’s gaps, they only churned out 23 yards. The statistical website gave McKinnie a -5.9 overall grade, and ranked him 59th out of 61 tackles.

“McKinnie did nothing to disprove his reputation for being lazy, as he barely even tried to put up a fight for his job,” wrote PFF’s Michael Renner. “The same play-to-the-whistle mentality of Marshal Yanda could not be found in the 12th-year left tackle, as he was regularly caught standing upright if he thought a run had passed him or a play had been made.”

With that kind of performance, Butt believes a trade would be beneficial and the Ravens would be “better served” with Rick Wagner as Monroe's primary backup.

But would the Jags be interested in McKinnie after such a poor outing with his job on the line?

“The Jaguars would appear to be desperate for a tackle with starting experience, even if the tackle in question is not performing at that high of a level,” Butt wrote.

Obviously the same thing already being said on here, but it is being talked about outside of the Ravens fan base...
    You're quoting a guy from a Baltimore blog. Of course he's going to think it's good idea for the Jags to trade for our garbage. I'm all for it too but I can't imagine it ever happening. There's just no point for a 1 to 3 win team to bring in an older vet with conditioning issues.

\You'd have a better chance with a good team like the Broncos or Seahawks who have injuries at the position and don't want anything to derail their seasons trading for McKinnie than team that's going nowhere and gains nothing by the move.

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    IIRC (can't find the post right now) cutting or trading him actually creates a fairly considerable cap hit due to the acceleration of next year's bonus money, & there is no way to finesse that to make it go away.

IMHO Oz would not even consider taking that hit unless (1) there arose a major need at some position & (2) there was no one else they could bear to release or IR.

So best scenario for the team, much as it chappeth the collective arse here, would be for Big Mac to remain on the roster as an emergency backup LT & (hopefully) never again to be active on gameday because Monroe stays healthy & plays well.
    There's no adverse Cap effects from releasing McKinnie, other than the fact that as a vest vet, he still gets paid what he's due this year. So, basically, it's not harmful to cut him, but it doesn't save them anything either.

A trade would be different because the other team would pick up the balance of the bill for this year, thereby creating some additional Cap space for the Ravens now.

My guess is that they are willing to wait and carry him for awhile, while trying to find someone, anyone to take him off their hands - even for a conditional pick.

With only $1.033M in Cap space presently, I'd think they'd much rather clearly $600-700K by trading him, instead of having to cut him. I don't think the trade compensation matters as much to them as just removing him from their Cap does.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    There's no adverse Cap effects from releasing McKinnie, other than the fact that as a vest vet, he still gets paid what he's due this year. So, basically, it's not harmful to cut him, but it doesn't save them anything either.

A trade would be different because the other team would pick up the balance of the bill for this year, thereby creating some additional Cap space for the Ravens now.

My guess is that they are willing to wait and carry him for awhile, while trying to find someone, anyone to take him off their hands - even for a conditional pick.

With only $1.033M in Cap space presently, I'd think they'd much rather clearly $600-700K by trading him, instead of having to cut him. I don't think the trade compensation matters as much to them as just removing him from their Cap does.
    I can see the business part of it, hopefully someone gets desperate and nabs him.

The other part of it I see is he's taking up a roster spot and would you have faith in him to be a reliable back up? After his last performance I would trust Wagner over him.

There's going to be some roster choices made when Asa returns and possibly Pitta. Monroe added another lineman to the roster with Bajema released, so we're carrying an extra lineman now. The only other choices I see are Reid and Jensen, but they kept Jensen this long for a reason. Reid has played guard before, so he's more versatile although his value is questionable.

I think he gets cut if he doesn't get traded. Maybe not for a few weeks while they shop him around, but soon.

Blog Entries

Thanks for clearing that up, Brian. Clearly I misinterpreted something I read.

Doesn't the signing bonus get accelerated into this year? He was given 2m signing bonus according Sportrac. 1m counts against this year and next. If traded wouldn't the full 2m count against this year?

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    Doesn't the signing bonus get accelerated into this year? He was given 2m signing bonus according Sportrac. 1m counts against this year and next. If traded wouldn't the full 2m count against this year?
    No, since we're after June 1, there is no bonus acceleration into this year. Once after June 1, all future years (in this case - just next year) accelerate into the following year. So, the $1M proration for 2014 doesn't acclerate and count this year. It will still count in 2014 as dead money (assuming there is no way he's on the team next year).
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    EDIT: Mostly deleted, Bmore beat me to it. But just FYI, here's the relevant section from the CBA:

From Article 13, Section 6:

"(2) For any player removed from the Team's roster or whose Contract is assigned via waivers or trade after June 1, except in the Final League Year, any unamortized signing bonus amounts for future years will be included fully in Team Salary at the start of the next League Year."