Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Lincoln Kennedy or Orlando Brown Anyone??

I would be against bringing in an aging vet who hasn't played for two years or one who played but not very well . Now is the time to bite the bullet and see exactly what we have in all of these developmental players we have been feeding for a couple years. IMO this OL situation must be resolved next off season, as with the arrival of McNair the ability to blame its performance on poor quarterback play has evaporated, so work these young guys in and let them sink or swim. We'll know more what we have to work with before the draft.

If we are going to win our second Superbowl in a row in January of 2008, that offwnsive line must be overhauled this coming offseason.
    ENFORCE THE 1ST AMENDMENT WITH THE SECOND, NEVER DISARM

You are sort of getting ahead of yourself there, Art, let's win one before we start the dynasty

Quote Originally Posted by Tex Ritter View Post
    The OL needs some work but it certainly doesn't need a major overhaul. Sacks and turnovers by our QB are way down, and a lot of that is due to the huge upgrade at the QB position, not the OL playing that much better.
    Yes, the OL does need a major overhaul. In spite of the "huge upgrade at the QB position" we have the 28th ranked offense after four games. 28th! The OL has a lot to do with that. We are obviously winning games because of our defense, which has been awesome, but they should be getting some help.

Orlando Brown and Lincoln Kennedy are definitely not the answer, but there needs to be some changes. Play the young guys. We liked Chester and Brown enough to draft them, let's play them.

Quote Originally Posted by Art-Florida View Post
    If we are going to win our second Superbowl in a row in January of 2008, that offwnsive line must be overhauled this coming offseason.
    Oh, ye of little faith...that's a quote either from scriptures or an issue of 'Rolling Stone' from the 80s - I forget which.

Computer bulletin boards are 3/4 speculation (1\4 masturbation) anyway, do why not do it big?

Denver - going down!
    Carolina - W'ell never play finah.

After that, we'll see...
    ENFORCE THE 1ST AMENDMENT WITH THE SECOND, NEVER DISARM

You also mistakenly seem to give all the credit for winning to the defense, yet the defense is not producing crucial game winning drives, nor is has it caused the big decline in turnovers/ versus TD passes out of the QB position.
    I have not given all the credit to the defense, but if I did I wouldn't be wrong. If not for McAlister's interception in the end zone in Cleveland, we would not have had a chance to see Stover kick a game-winning 52 yard field goal. If the defense hadn't shut out San Diego in the second half, we wouldn't have had a chance to see McNair throw a game-winning TD pass to Heap.

Read this carefully -- we are second in defense, 28th in offense. I am thrilled that we are 4-0, but it's largely because our defense has been lights out. The offense has to get better.

7. Re: Lincoln Kennedy or Orlando Brown Anyone??

Im not defending the offense, they obviously need to get better, but rankings and statistics can be deceiving. Total offense rank is based on one stat....total yards. Yes that means you move the ball, but doesnt mean you score. Or it means you are always backed up at your 10 and have to go 90 yds to score.

We are 28th in total yards...the NY Giants are ranked 2nd in offense and are 1-2 and in last place. The stat that wins games is total points scored....we are 11th.

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan1996 View Post
    The stat that wins games is total points scored....we are 11th.
    I agree, but the defense and special teams has set up a lot of those scores, not the offense. That can't happen all year long. Maybe if we're lucky it will keep up, but I doubt it. We're off to a great start but it hasn't been because of the offense. They need to get better (and I think they will, btw).

Who cares what the offense is rated when we are 4-0? Again this isn't Fantasy Football League its the real-life NFL. I would agree with you if the team wasn't scoring points, but last time I checked they were pulling down over 20 per game. Sure the OL needs improvement but all teams have some area of weakness.

You also mistakenly seem to give all the credit for winning to the defense, yet the defense is not producing crucial game winning drives, nor is has it caused the big decline in turnovers/ versus TD passes out of the QB position. This offense is nothing like the 2000 TD drought offense until Dilfer took over, so again, I don't get all the complaining. Why don't you save it for when we actually lose some games?:hammer:
    The only game I remember us scoring more than 20 points was the opener against the Bucs and if I recall about half of those points were, indeed, scored by the defense. It isn't the defenses job to "produce crucial game winning drives" that job belongs to the offense. At least the defense is making it possible for McNair to be the two minute hero. It does matter that our offense is ranked at 28, sooner or later such dismal offensive performance is going to start costing wins. This team cannot even run the ball anymore, the one thing we have always been able to do very well and that is directly related to offensive line performance ~ unless, of course, Jamal has fallen into another snit over someting.

10. Re: Lincoln Kennedy or Orlando Brown Anyone??

Well actually we have scored, 27, 28, 15, and 16 pts in our 4 wins. Of the 86pts scored, the def has scored 10pts. the rest is the offense. Im not saying the offense is great and shouldnt get better, its just not as awful as we make it to be.

the "yeah but the defense has set up the offense" is a little bs to me. Yeah they have a time or too put the offense inside the 10yd line, mainly the def is keeping them in games, not helping the offense score! yeah mcallister intcepted the ball but the offense had to then get in fg range to score...thats like saying the offense was resposible for the browns marching on down to the 4 yd line. The offense cant play d and the d cant move the ball on offense.

The ravens have scored 7 offensive td's this year. The offense on avg had to move the ball 62 yds. Hardly a def set up. Of all scores 16 total, they had to move the ball on avg 40yds.

Tampa (score/total yards of drive)
    td-80yds
    fg- 7yds
    fg 13yds
    td 61yds

Oakland
    fg-25yds
    fg-20yds
    fg-11yds
    td 65yds
    fg-11 yds
    td 81 yds

Cleveland:
    fg 30yds
    td 68yds
    fg42yds

SD:
    fg 47yds
    td 22yds
    td 60yds

[Of the 86pts scored, the def has scored 10pts. the rest is the offense.[/QUOTE]

I don't really care how we score as long as we score, but this "the rest is offense" comment is a little off the mark. If Sams or somebody returns a kickoff to the other teams 30 yard line and the offense goes three and out and they kick a field goal, that's not great offense. If Ray Lewis or someone intercepts a pass and runs it back into field goal range and the offense goes nowhere and kicks a field goal, that's not great offense. That is special teams and the defense setting up the offense.

Not that I'm complaining about that -- we won a Super Bowl with a similar formula in 2000. I'd be happy to see it again if it results in a Super Bowl win. But please, don't talk about how the offense is generating points. They are doing it when it counts the past two weeks, which is what really counts, but 28th in the league is 28th in the league, which isn't good, no matter how you spin it.

12. Re: Lincoln Kennedy or Orlando Brown Anyone??

28th in the league, which isn't good, no matter how you spin it.
    Its not a spin, that stat is based on total yards, nothing else, thats why in the super bowl season our def was ranked number 2 because of total yds given up, not total pts. Its not the stats that wins games, its the pts.

Would you like to be the 16th ranked offense like Detriot is? they are 0-4. There is no spin, thats a fact.

Like i said stats are fun to play with but total pts is all that matters on either side of the ball. We could have the 28th ranked offense but lead the league in scoring. This offense needs to move the ball a little more then it has but when they "need" to, they have.

We are ranked 13th in avg total pts scored per game (21 avg) and 3rd on the def side on 8.2 pts a game given up. 21-8 is a nice stat.