Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Just how good is Torrey Smith?

As I was working on something for Tony, I put this together. Torrey is having a franchise-setting season. If he keeps going the way he is going, he could potentially have an NFL-record setting season...seriously.

Right now Torrey leads all receivers with 556 yards. If he keeps this pace up, he will finish the season with approximately 1,780 yards.

In 2012, only Calvin Johnson would have had more yards (1,964) and only by 184 yards.

1,780 yards would also best the Baltimore Ravens' franchise record by 579 yards (1,201), which was set in 1996 by Michael Jackson.

To put this in even MORE perspective, 1,780 yards would be 4th all-time behind Jerry Rice, Isaac Bruce and Calvin Johnson. If Torrey squeaks out 1,782 yards he will jump Isaac Bruce for 3rd all-time for single-season yards.

Folks, we are talking about some elite company here. That total would be more than Michael Irvin, Tory Holt, Randy Moss, Herman Moore, Charley Hennigan, and Marvin Harrison.

Torrey may only have 1 touchdown reception right now, but if the Ravens can get the running game going and/or find someone else who can consistently play opposite of Torrey, watch-the-fuck-out.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Re: Just how good is Torrey Smith?

And to me, the most remarkable thing about those 500+ yards, is that they didn't all come on a "9" route. He's running and making catches on all routes of the route tree.

Couldn't happen to a better player and person!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GirlsKickButt View Post
    And to me, the most remarkable thing about those 500+ yards, is that they didn't all come on a "9" route. He's running and making catches on all routes of the route tree.

He is doing absolutely everything a #1 receiver does.

The way he is playing is superb.

Right now, he and Flacco ARE the offense.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Great post. We truly are seeing a great player develop right in front of our eyes. I don't think everyone appreciates enough just how special he is. I would note though that Julio Jones will probably take back the first place for receivers tonight.

The big question mark of course here is if he can keep it up. In this regard there's one very encouraging stat: he's had at least 85 yards in every game. It's not like he has had one huge game that boosts his stats. His consitency is incredible.

Wicked, do you have a stat for most receiving yards through the first 5 games? That would be interesting to see (as it seems like the guys who are on pace for huge numbers always are slowed down a bit as the year goes on).

More remarkable is that he's really the only serious deep threat in this offense and he's doing what he's doing.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

How could you not like Torrey? Great guy.

Blog Entries

The onus is on Caldwell, Hostler, and Flacco to keep finding him ways to get the ball. The scary thing is, right now, he's being double teamed. Once we can get some legitmate threats out there...between Jacoby, a develop Marlon, etc...those teams will have to stop doubling him and THEN he could be scary good.

Not sure he'll keep this pace up, but I think he could be threatening for a PB spot. Would be first Ravens Pro Bowl WR ever (Technically Jacoby and Jermaine Lewis went, but for KR/PR skills, not WR)
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Considering he is getting a double team on every play, it's even more remarkable. It's a lot like Andre Johnson in the early Houston years when he was literally the only legitimate receiving threat on the team.

He'll only get better with the return of Jacoby Jones and eventually, Pitta.

He's the 4th best WR drafted or debuted this decade (AJ, Julio and Cruz) IMO. AJ and Cruz are just better than him; but Julio, while terrific at the POA, gets a whole lot of "assistance" from Gonzalez and White.

Lots of media folk weren't convinced that Torrey was up to the task of being the featured WR. I don't think it was much hate involved, just a lot of non-commits; even the locals.

Since the '12 NYG game, I've said that Torrey "can be as good as he wants to be". Versus MIA, he showed me everything a featured WR should be able to do. Still, I'd like to see him use his short-area quickness more at the LOS, and also use his vertical more aggressively in traffic on fades and corner routes. He's improved each year, so expect to see these improvements soon enough.

Going back a couple of weeks and re-posting some comparison numbers from a thread:

Through two seasons + three games, here's how Torrey ranks among a group of 1st round draft picks over their first two seasons + three games.

Name Recs / Yds / TDs
    AJ Green 181 / 2656 / 21
    Julio Jones 160 / 2530 / 20
    Andre Johnson 155 / 2194 / 10
    Hakeem Nicks 140 / 2027 / 18
    Dez Bryant 121 / 1653 / 15
    Torrey 115 / 1965 / 15
    Roddy White 74 / 1189 / 4
    Demaryius Thomas 70 / 1056 / 8

(In fairness to the entire list, recall/keep in mind the situations that each guy was in WRT QBs, other pass catchers, etc.)

He'll get paid a boatload on his way to setting every Ravens WR record imaginable. And in the context of a seasonal record pace, it's worth noting that only the hostile and cold stadium we'll see in December is CIN, which when looking at the state of the division, might be a must-win game in which Torrey (and Joe, of course) will play all four quarters. Everything else in December is home except for DET's nice warm dome.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

One of the most underrated players in football. Since he is not your typical diva-like WR, I doubt he commands much and holds the team hostage next year when his rookie contract expires. Here's hoping he and Joe are forever linked.

I hope he keeps it up so McNabb has to eat some crow at the end of the season...

He's been outstanding.

I think the TD's will come once we surround him with more passing game weapons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.