Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. What was Caldwell thinking on 3rd and 22?

I'm sure there has been a lot of discussion on this play so if you need to merge this thread please do but...oh man. That 3rd and 22 with our back's against the end zone play call was one of the worst I've ever seen.

First off, you'd think Caldwell would be cautious with the way the defense was playing up until that point...you don't want to give the Dolphins a short field. Also, Joe just narrowly missed getting picked off on I believe 1st down...you'd think that'd give Caldwell the idea to be conservative. I'm all for being aggressive, especially since we've been conservative all year long but...how in the world can you call a pass play on 3rd and 22 within your own 10 yard line? That was asking for a disaster.

Yes, I know Big Mac was also to fault on the play, like he was all game...but he shouldn't have even been involved in pass protection to begin with. That situation calls for a draw or just a handoff to the running back up the middle and let the defense continue to do their thing. Passing shouldn't have even been considered an option...PERIOD!

I remember back in the playoffs, Caldwell did have some shaky play calling but it was kind of tossed to the side by us because we were winning. Does anyone remember how obvious his play calling was in the Denver playoff game (Running on every 1st down). I'm not going to go to the extreme to say I miss Cam but...Caldwell has been pretty pathetic so far this year.

Hopefully adding in Monroe and getting Marlon and Jacoby back will make this offense atleast look passable. We're gonna need it next week vs the Packers.

Re: What was Caldwell thinking on 3rd and 22?

That was a bad call and Harbs acknowledged it in the press conference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

I agree 100%. The D was playing very well at that point, and you are up by a TD. You call a safe play and make the Dolphins drive the length of the field for a TD. Harbaugh even said in the post game press conference that calling that play was a mistake.

Blog Entries

almost cost the game. run it up the middle and punt. it ain't pretty but it beats the hell out of a pick six

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

There was no reason to call for a deep drop and throw on a 3rd and 22 from the five-ish yard line. The offensive line had been playing SO BAD, I just don't know what they were thinking. It was a horrible call. Call the draw, get some yards for Koch, and let your defense do what it had been doing most of the game.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

It was a horrible call, simply because McKinnie was getting annihilated by his DE/LB assignments all freaking day. And you knew Joe needed to drop back into his own end zone and throw long which takes time.

Blog Entries

It reminded me of the Polumalu strip sack/fumble of a few years ago, only it didn't cost us this time. That play should not have been called, and the quarterback has to get rid of the ball before something disastrous happens.

iggyman555 Guest

so why didnt camwell put a rb/te on that side to help with dion jordan.....mb that idiot zinno can ask him tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    It reminded me of the Polumalu strip sack/fumble of a few years ago, only it didn't cost us this time. That play should not have been called, and the quarterback has to get rid of the ball before something disastrous happens.
    ????? Didn't cost us? What worse can happen on a play assuming no one is injured?

Blog Entries

It was a bad play call. Too much risk for the reward. Probably hoping for a flag. Maybe Kochs punts figured into the play call.

It was a patented Ravens play. Throw deep to the sidelines and the worst that can happen is a pick that acts like a punt. IMO that's a Harbaugh play--we called it constantly when Cam was here, and yet now we have a totally different coordinator in Caldwell and we're running the exact same plays. That tells me Harbaugh puts those in the gameplan, not anybody else.

Oh and by the way, once again... if McKinnie could block his man, Torrey Smith was open to the right throw. I don't blame the play call and I don't blame Flacco. You've got to try to win the football game. Playing for the punt is playing to lose.

12. Re: What was Caldwell thinking on 3rd and 22?

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    It was a patented Ravens play. Throw deep to the sidelines and the worst that can happen is a pick that acts like a punt. IMO that's a Harbaugh play--we called it constantly when Cam was here, and yet now we have a totally different coordinator in Caldwell and we're running the exact same plays. That tells me Harbaugh puts those in the gameplan, not anybody else.

Oh and by the way, once again... if McKinnie could block his man, Torrey Smith was open to the right throw. I don't blame the play call and I don't blame Flacco. You've got to try to win the football game. Playing for the punt is playing to lose.
    On 3rd and 22 inside my own 10 yard line with my defense playing it's tail off...hell yea I'd play for the punt. You can second guess it all you want...the play was called and the worst that could happen did happen. That should have been a run and Harbs even admitted it was the wrong call.