Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: "Sunday's game was BY FAR the best Sun-Life Stadium takeover ......."

Quote Originally Posted by Real Fan Dan View Post
    Which pro football teams (or other pro sports teams) used it first?

Thanks.
    I'm with you. I never heard of the song before it was played at the Steelers opener a few years ago. I don't follow the minor pro winter leagues where it may originated as a Jock song.

Just because an obscure song was done decades ago doesn't mean it's popular. Look at "Black Betty", which was an afterthought song when it came out in the 70s(?), but recently made popular at college stadiums.

That stated: it's getting on on time to put the 7 Nation chant to rest. Just like "Amen" at the Terps games, these fan-led rally songs have a limited shelf life. We missed our chance on the official team fight song when John Ziemer rewrote the Colts fight song into a tongue-twisting Ravens version which few (except my wife) know sufficiently to join in, and trying to get our band to lead isn't working. At least we don't have dumbshit official team songs like the Dolphins remake of the Oilers song and the Bills butchering of "Shout".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    I also went to the very first Ravens game up there with the Nests and Fred Grau from this board. People
    came up to our group at the tailgate and got into our faces. One guy approached the smallest guy in our group and a couple of us went over to him and he backed off as I gave him the finger. That was down by the river.
    Hey Trap: why does trouble seem to often follow you on road trips? It seems that every time you are on the same road trip as I, you do something to stir up the natives or fellow Ravens fans. I know that you aren't bullshitting because I've seen you as the target for Broncos fans after you mooned them and for Ravens fans that you stirred up at a Jax hot tub party. And insulting Michael Oher's mom at Indianapolis didn't earn you any style points either.

I too have tailgated with Fred Grau in Pittsburgh, and we had no problems with the local Yinzers except the occasional "Ravens Suck" taunts. So no blaming Fred for the in-breds' violence and aggressiveness towards you isn't going to work.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Blog Entries

LOL - Thanks T. You made my day.

Hell, Fred's the one who took the freaking banner up to Piss and hung it behind the end zone that said
    PITTSBURGH IS RAVENS COUNTRY.

The pic made the front page of the Sun the next day. We got beer or piss dropped on us from above when we hung it up too which is why we call it
    Pissburgh.

It's been posted here and on scout's board many times.
    Maybe he has the pic. I'll look for it later
    but going to the pool now.

You forgot the hotel I was banned from in Denver for starting a fight up in the bar. I was a little pissed because you took us to a steak house where the cheapest steak was $100. I thought we were going to OUTBACKS for the $9.99 12 Oz special. I went up to the bsr to get something and they wouldn't serve me so I leveled the place. Finally got to
    McDonalds 9 am the next morning.

And you know I didn't know that was Oher's mom in front of me even though you said so. I thought you were drunk and joking.

But after the game she even said he had a bad game. She said everyone played a bad game. Now there's a woman who knows her football.

And you saw her hug me after that. I
    almost passed out. What a gal. She loved me.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 10-09-2013 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Fan Dan View Post
    Which pro football teams (or other pro sports teams) used it first?

Thanks.
    I realize many people on this board are loathe to admit it, but soccer is played at a professional level worldwide. In fact I'm told it's pretty popular. And they have been doing that chant in European soccer stadiums for a long long time.

EDIT: A quick search of the interwebs and this article credits its genesis as a sports anthem to supporters of Club Brugge in an away match against A.C. Milan. In 2003.
    Last edited by HotInHere; 10-09-2013 at 01:47 PM.
    "Chin up, chest out."

That Seven Nation Army chant was so loud on TV before the kickoff, my friend said they had to be playing it on the stadium speakers, there was no way just our fans could be that loud. Can anyone who was there confirm if the song was actually played?

Originally posted by HoustonRavenI know the Houston Rockets used it for years before we did.
    Originally posted by JohnBKistlerI have heard it played at college games for years, as well...
    Originally posted by packfntkNot sure which teams used it first, but it is at several stadiums we have went to over the years. We also do it at Lambeau. But yeah, you guys do it more often and louder than most it sounds.
    Originally posted by Mista T
    I'm with you. I never heard of the song before it was played at the Steelers opener a few years ago. I don't follow the minor pro winter leagues where it may originated as a Jock song.
    Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    I realize many people on this board are loathe to admit it, but soccer is played at a professional level worldwide. In fact I'm told it's pretty popular. And they have been doing that chant in European soccer stadiums for a long long time.

EDIT: A quick search of the interwebs and this article credits its genesis as a sports anthem to supporters of Club Brugge in an away match against A.C. Milan. In 2003.
    Okay thanks for the great input. The Ravens started doing the 7th Nation Army chant on opening day 2011. Does anyone know of any other NFL Fan base doing the chant prior to that?
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

I think we were one of the first teams, but as the last 2 years have gone by, a ton of other pro teams have started playing it at their games....I've heard it on TV during numerous college football and basketball games as well as during Heat games.

In fact, at this point, it is more well known nationally as the song the Heat play...primarily due to them constantly being on TV and the way NBA games are broadcast.

Typically at football games, this song is played during commercial breaks as teams aren't supposed to play music during action. In the NBA, they obviously play music during the entire game.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Are you sure it was that late? I know Lambeau did. We were in Atlanta in 2010 and they did.

I know you guys dominate it and took ownership of it, every other stadium that does it just kind of does it. You make it your bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    That Seven Nation Army chant was so loud on TV before the kickoff, my friend said they had to be playing it on the stadium speakers, there was no way just our fans could be that loud. Can anyone who was there confirm if the song was actually played?
    Yes it is clear on tv that they were playing it on the stadium speakers which amused me. However you just have to realize that not everyone would know how the Baltimore fanbase latched onto the song.

But it all goes back to the opening day ass kicking of the Steelers in 2011. To have either watched it or seen it on tv, you knew that day it was going to be embraced for awhile.

Surely other folks have used it and played it before. There's no surprise there. But if you are visiting this site for the first time (Packers fans) and you think back to one of the iconic games in the past 5 years your team played, and on that same day everyone started enjoying a bit of music that wasn't a big deal before - that was this day and this music.

Quote Originally Posted by packfntk View Post
    You make it your bitch.
    That's true. It didn't hurt our claim to ownership that a a few billion people world-wide heard us chanting it from the New Orleans Superdome on Feb 3rd.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Soccer started it in 2006 according to Wikipedia. College football used it also in 2006. THe Ravens are credited with it being their official hype song in 2011. It's not to say it wasn't played somewhere else before that. But you can't watch a game at M&T without hearing it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Nation_Army

Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    It was actually played over the loudspeakers during the game. Twice, to be exact.

My thoughts were either that the Dolphins brass wanted to incorporate the song as their own (and I think I did hear it during the Miami Heat playoffs), or they were being kind and gracious hosts to the many Ravens fans who showed up. Probably the former and not the latter, but it worked.

That being said, at several points Ravens fans at the game started the chant on their own, and it was very loud. The Ravens' side of the field had to be 70-75% purple.

In terms of the song being used other places before, I tend to think of it like Italians and pasta. Italians didn't invent pasta, but they sure as hell made it their own upon adopting it.
    Last edited by Tommy_Carcetti; 10-09-2013 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    That's true. It didn't hurt our claim to ownership that a a few billion people world-wide heard us chanting it from the New Orleans Superdome on Feb 3rd.
    But more importantly, the 53 players, coaches and management of the Baltimore Ravens heard us chanting it. From before the game until the very end in victory! AND WE WERE LOUD & PROUD!