Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

How big is this game versus Green Bay?

Through serious run blocking struggles, concerning pass blocking struggles, a revolving door of new WRs and a plethora of new defenders, a win versus Green Bay would put the Ravens at 4-2 heading into Pittsburgh, with the chance to end their season for good.

I think we all expected the defense to play well, because the locals recognized how poorly the Ravens defense played last year, by Ravens standards. However, we did not expect Terrell Suggs to have more sacks than the entire Steelers team, the Ravens defense to be on pace to almost double their sack total from last year and for the secondary to play this well so far. We did not expect the offensive line to struggle so much and that, in my opinion, has prolonged the chemistry timeline with the new WRs. Ray Rice did not look to be himself, even before the hip injury. Which tells me that he either didn't get enough reps in training camp (A calculated risk by the coaching staff and understandable one) or is indeed starting to wear down. The team has no resemblance of a TE at all.

Yet and still, they have a good chance to defeat the Packers in what should be an exciting game. From there, they go to Pittsburgh, with a convenient bye week following that game, then come off of a bye with a chance to once again sweep the Browns.

This game could be huge for their postseason aspirations. They are currently one game behind New England, whom they host later in the year, as well as Indianapolis, who has done better than expected. A first round bye is not out of the question.

This is definitely a big one here. This could be the difference between a 12 win season and a 9 win season. Win this, and you have a bye sandwiched between road trips to Pittsburgh and Cleveland, both places you've had success at. While players get healthy down the stretch and the offense continues to gel.

You can really see it coming. In years passed, a game where the offense struggles mightily might result in 13 points or less. Now, despite their struggles, they are still putting up 20+ (At Buffalo, At Miami).

Thoughts?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Re: How big is this game versus Green Bay?

"This could be the difference between a 12 win season and a 9 win season."

I'm not quite sure I understand the logic hear. If we win this one, 12 wins is a possibility, but if we lose, how is 11 wins not a possibility?

Blog Entries

It's one of the games we all circled when the schedule was released as being a big boy game. This is a quality opponent, a SB contender, and if you can win those games, you are generally poised for January and February. That the game is NOT in GB is even bigger. We had a tremendous home winning streak until Steelers and Broncos snapped that last season. Since then, we're back to being undefeated in our last 3 (Despite our Miami takeover, that was actually an away game). We need to keep building that streak.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

The one thing that magnifies the importance of this game is that it's a home game & the team needs to hold serve at the Vault as the pieces come together, in order to position itself for another postseason run. Otherwise, it's really just another opportunity for a win, & against a non-AFC opponent at that.

If I had to choose only one of the next two games for the Ravens to win, it'd be @PGH the following week. IMHO that game is significantly more important: In-conference, in-division, & a chance to hammer perhaps the final nail into the Stealers' aspirations for the season.

Awhile back I argued that 3-4 at the bye would be sufficient to keep them in the hunt, so long as the offense & defense were making progress in playing well as units & there were no additional significant injuries. I see no reason to revise that. It would be grand to go into bye week at 4-3 or even 5-2--it increases the margin for error later--but not strictly necessary.

This game will be a good one for gauging the progress of the team. I will shed few tears if they lose so long as their play is improving--so long as they go into Pittsburgh next week & kick some rusted arse...

Blog Entries

If we win this it is HUGE imo, because we know we can go into Pittsburgh and beat them. Going into the bye at 5-2 will be HUGE. Really, both of the Cincy games this year are going to be by FAR the biggest games, but if we can get a win this week, we have two games we SHOULD be favorites to win, which would put us at 6-2.

Very big game despite it being a non conference team.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

It is a good measuring stick and as a home game important, but not vitally so. It is out of conference as noted and it is a game that should be hard-fought. It would be a quality win but that would also set us up for a let down against a flailing Steelers team that will most certainly be gunning for us.

I agree with Loba, this game isn't very important. If they win, great it's another in the W column and those are always good, but it's non divisional so not an absolute must win.

Beating Rodgers is probably a good thing for confidence, but I doubt that this defense is lacking any of that really. Let's be real here though. He has 2 tackles starting, one that is a rookie and gave up six pressures last week and the other has 8 starts in 2 seasons. 2 of their RB's aren't playing and their best player on defense, the one you have to gameplan for, is out. It's not like we are getting the Packers from 3 years ago.

Like a horse.

Home game vs a good but beatable team. The 2 seed is still out there. I like our odds if the o line improves.

:T2:

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    I agree with Loba, this game isn't very important. If they win, great it's another in the W column and those are always good, but it's non divisional so not an absolute must win.

Beating Rodgers is probably a good thing for confidence, but I doubt that this defense is lacking any of that really. Let's be real here though. He has 2 tackles starting, one that is a rookie and gave up six pressures last week and the other has 8 starts in 2 seasons. 2 of their RB's aren't playing and their best player on defense, the one you have to gameplan for, is out. It's not like we are getting the Packers from 3 years ago.
    I agree 100%. I feel like we do this every week regarding "must win games." We only have 16 - each one is important. That being said, I would much rather drop a game to an NFC opponent as long as we take care of business in the division with the next two games at Pitt and at Cleveland. Then again - let's win 'em all!

I think its a gain a lot confidence or continue down the dubious 'God we suck' path type of game for the OL. I think they are a like bit fragile mentally (esp GG) with getting justifiably browbeat by everyone. Going against an average defense (Good against the run/mediocre with the pass) without Matthews and AT HOME! without the crowd noise, this could be the perfect elixir. If its a repeat.... no holes running and Joe getting crushed...it might just be hopeless all year.

In the scope of how 'BIG' this game is.. I'd say not too much compared to most other games. Other than you should win all your games at home if you are a true playoff team, its an OOC game to a NFC team. The division games are gonna be the BIGGEST games by far, b/c it looks like its gonna be tight recordwise at the end. That Divisional record, just like last year, will probably be the determining factor with the division winner.

As Harbs would say, it's the most important game because it's the next game.

But really, if you're going to have losses, you want them in non-conference games. I think this game is winnable, and ultimately every win is important. But we got shellacked by Denver and Houston last year, and that turned out okay. This team is going to be a work in progress until December.

The ultimate goal is to make the dance, and losing this game does not seriously compromise our ability to do that the way losing at home to Cincy would.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Obviously division and conference games are technically MORE important.

But OOC is most certainly an opporunity to separate from the pack (no pun intended.)

It will be a great barometer on how we're doing against a playoff quality team and good organization.

And could certianly be the difference between a division title/wildcard/home on the couch come January.

gotta fight for a win in this one.