Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Jameel Mcclain may be returning soon..

Doesn't really provide much info but his return will be a plus in my humble opinion. I don't expect him to make an immediate impact because he's still got to get into game shape. Besides he'll probably be stuck behind Daryl Smith anyway.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...er-than-later/

Blog Entries

Re: Jameel Mcclain may be returning soon..

The issue for McClain is that he's got three guys ahead of him who are playing really solid football. I'd be disappointed if Harbaugh just throws him out there, especially over Arthur Brown. Its great to see him over coming this injury, but he just isn't good enough to start on this team at this point imo.

Blog Entries

Bynes has not been playing "solid" football, imo. McClain probably comes in for him in a reserve role. Brown and Smith are playing to well to replace. McClain struggles is coverage and brown excels so i see a similar rotation as now, with Bynes relegated to STs.
    -JAB

I find it hard to believe that he is not any better than Bynes.

Nonetheless, I would prefer to see more of Arthur Brown.

Blog Entries

Josh Bynes has been fantastic in run defense, watch the tape. At this point, he's a better 2 down LB than what McClain has ever been.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Josh Bynes has been fantastic in run defense, watch the tape. At this point, he's a better 2 down LB than what McClain has ever been.
    What tapes? If my eyes arent deceiving me, Josh seemed to be swallowed up a lot quicker? The same could be said for McClain; however, I always thought McClain's play recognition was his underrated skill. I would feel more comfortable with him on running downs than Josh.

Um Buffalo? Spent the entire game on his back. McClain is an upgrade in terms of experience and size.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by celticrob View Post
    Um Buffalo? Spent the entire game on his back. McClain is an upgrade in terms of experience and size.
    So lets just list all the bad games McClain had last year in run def then?

And size? McClain is probably well under 240 lbs at this point, Bynes is in much better shape, and hasn't been inactive for almost a year. I don't understand the negative perception on Bynes, I'm pretty sure filmstudy has given him a bunch of positive grades as a run defender so far this season. He does his job well, he's not good in coverage, but thats not supposed to be his role.

Blog Entries

IMO, the starting ILBs should be Smith and Brown. However, McClain could provide some much needed depth at that position. Bynes is ok at best versus the run, and is a liability in pass coverage. McClellan is another ok ILB, but isn't anything special. I would hope that Harbaugh would work McClain in slowly based on how well he plays. Although McClain isn't a great ILB, but IMO he is a better overall ILB than Bynes and McClellan, and is probably better versus the run than Brown.

Blog Entries

So who goes when McClain returns? Once McClain is activated someone else is going to have to get moved off the roster.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    IMO, the starting ILBs should be Smith and Brown. However, McClain could provide some much needed depth at that position. Bynes is ok at best versus the run, and is a liability in pass coverage. McClellan is another ok ILB, but isn't anything special. I would hope that Harbaugh would work McClain in slowly based on how well he plays. Although McClain isn't a great ILB, but IMO he is a better overall ILB than Bynes and McClellan, and is probably better versus the run than Brown.
    Bynes is pretty good in run def, but yes, I'd start Arthur Brown over him any day. I still think Bynes is our third best ILB on the roster, and certainly better than Jameel McClain at this point.

So lets just list all the bad games McClain had last year in run def then?

And size? McClain is probably well under 240 lbs at this point, Bynes is in much better shape, and hasn't been inactive for almost a year. I don't understand the negative perception on Bynes, I'm pretty sure filmstudy has given him a bunch of positive grades as a run defender so far this season. He does his job well, he's not good in coverage, but thats not supposed to be his role.
    Last season? Our defensive linemen weren't anywhere as good as the one we currently have. Moreover, McClain has been, for a couple years, covering for Ray Lewis. I am pretty confident that McClain would do better with the current front (assuming he is the same player as he was). As I said, his play-recognition skill was pretty good. He just wasn't as good in the coverage.