Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Joe Flacco Urgency

look at cam Newton right now..lol..some folks are just ungrateful, I'll take Joe all day every day, he may not be flashy or put up gaudy regular season stats but Joe is a winner thats all we need.

Quote Originally Posted by RavingMad View Post
    Been saying this for years. Very slow on the drop back. Those play action plays that forces him to be athletic are SO SLOW to develop. The rushers are all over him before he can set his feet and throw. Once he gets going he can move pretty good, but he has no acceleration.
    I hear ya ravingmad. He is slow to accelerate due to that "extra mass" (PHYS 101) but if we can ever get solid 0-line protection to give him an extra .25sec of time, particularly on the left side, #5 and that big arm will be deadly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    wtf do some of these people look at??
    Joe has a better rushing avg than Rice's 2.9 at 3.2 yds pr carry-lol.

He just threw for 269 yards yesterday in the extreme heat.

Yea, Joe's slow. He can't think and throw at the same time.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4677/joe-flacco
    http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4677/joe-flacco

The OP is right to point out that Joe does not have the swiftest foot speed in his traditional drop-back, but what I want to know is why Caldwell keeps calling so many straight 5 and 7 step drops, with or without play-action? Where are the roll-outs and sprint outs we ran to such success last year? They would help the ailing OL, and Joe actually seems quicker and more sound mechanically from a bootleg than a straight drop.

We also all know how much better he plays from the shotgun, yet the Ravens make little effort to use the shotgun creatively, and don't use the pistol at all, even though traditional offenses like Manning's Broncos are now using the pistol formation at times.

This team is still struggling terribly to play to the strengths of its personnel, despite having made some progress in that respect in last year's playoff run. I don't think Caldwell has regressed as an offensive coach, so I fear what we're seeing is Harbaugh's ultra-conservative side coming out and taking over again.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    The OP is right to point out that Joe does not have the swiftest foot speed in his traditional drop-back, but what I want to know is why Caldwell keeps calling so many straight 5 and 7 step drops, with or without play-action? Where are the roll-outs and sprint outs we ran to such success last year? They would help the ailing OL, and Joe actually seems quicker and more sound mechanically from a bootleg than a straight drop.

We also all know how much better he plays from the shotgun, yet the Ravens make little effort to use the shotgun creatively, and don't use the pistol at all, even though traditional offenses like Manning's Broncos are now using the pistol formation at times.

This team is still struggling terribly to play to the strengths of its personnel, despite having made some progress in that respect in last year's playoff run. I don't think Caldwell has regressed as an offensive coach, so I fear what we're seeing is Harbaugh's ultra-conservative side coming out and taking over again.
    I certainly would like to see more bootlegs. Not sure why we just completely refuse to do bootleg/PA type plays that worked so well in the play offs. In saying that, we need a good running game to run those type of plays, and we obviously currently can't get it going right now on the ground. Maybe that will change with the addition of Monroe.

Blog Entries

I have not noticed anything about Joe's drop back that is cause for concern. I'm much more concerned about the o-line than anything Joe does. Get the o-line fixed and the offense will take off.

Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    I have not noticed anything about Joe's drop back that is cause for concern. I'm much more concerned about the o-line than anything Joe does. Get the o-line fixed and the offense will take off.
    +1

There is nothing wrong with Joe's drop back. A QB is supposed to scan the defense while he is dropping back, so when he 5 or 7 step drop ends he can deliver the ball. Classic pocket passer play style. If you want a QB who's fast and rushing his dropback, take RG3. Have fun with that. I'll keep Joe.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Does he trip over his linemen's feet 2 or 3 times a game?

'Nuff said.

I was not talking about his pocket presence at all. He does move rather swiftly to avoid rushers now. I was strictly talking about him dropping back or trying to sell play action and bringing the ball back up into throwing position. Those two facets just looked slower to me than nearly every other QB in the league that I watch. And trust me, I am the last person who wants a Romo or Stafford on this team putting up stats and losing. I could care less if Joe throws foe 2500 yards or 4500 yards as long as we are in the playoffs and top of the AFCN at the end of the year.

Blog Entries

I'm not going to get into criticizing the play calling myself, because the offensive line hasn't been pass blocking or run blocking well.

The play-action issue is the one I am not sure about. Joe would occasionally sell the fake well, but not often. However, part of the reason why Joe might not be selling it as well now is, because he is trying to get his head turned around more quickly, since the protection has not been there.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

iggyman555 Guest

chill...no need to rush

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I'm not going to get into criticizing the play calling myself, because the offensive line hasn't been pass blocking or run blocking well.

The play-action issue is the one I am not sure about. Joe would occasionally sell the fake well, but not often. However, part of the reason why Joe might not be selling it as well now is, because he is trying to get his head turned around more quickly, since the protection has not been there.
    word