Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Ray Rice - slowing down? Or still injured?

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    You may be on to something.
    I firmly believe that it is just good practice to spend a draft pick on a running back and a wide receiver every single draft.

It doesn't have to be a high draft pick, unless the value is there obviously, but I do believe that those two positions should warrant at least one draft pick each per draft.

What happens if Marlon Brown just completely blows up and now all of a sudden you're trying to pay Torrey and Marlon is expecting big bucks too. If you've spent a draft pick or two on receivers, maybe one of them has panned out enough that you can pay Torrey and let Marlon break the bank somewhere else.

I think this is more applicable to runningbacks simply because of the fact that once a back hits that wall, regardless of age, they just go downhill quickly. It is rare that a back can play well into their late 20's/early 30's. Take Jamal Anderson of the Atlanta Falcons. In 1998 he had 410 rushes, but he was incredible that season. He was 26 years old that season. He only played 3 more seasons after that and in 2 of those final 3 seasons he only had 74 touches combined. He was never the same. Jamal Lewis is another one. After that record season, he was just never the same and never had the explosiveness that he had prior to that season. He had a few more good seasons, but when he was 29 years old his average yards per carry dropped almost a yard. He retired after 9 seasons.

Rice is in his 6th season and in the past 3 seasons he has almost 1,100 touches (receptions + rushes).
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I firmly believe that it is just good practice to spend a draft pick on a running back and a wide receiver every single draft.

It doesn't have to be a high draft pick, unless the value is there obviously, but I do believe that those two positions should warrant at least one draft pick each per draft.

What happens if Marlon Brown just completely blows up and now all of a sudden you're trying to pay Torrey and Marlon is expecting big bucks too. If you've spent a draft pick or two on receivers, maybe one of them has panned out enough that you can pay Torrey and let Marlon break the bank somewhere else.

I think this is more applicable to runningbacks simply because of the fact that once a back hits that wall, regardless of age, they just go downhill quickly. It is rare that a back can play well into their late 20's/early 30's. Take Jamal Anderson of the Atlanta Falcons. In 1998 he had 410 rushes, but he was incredible that season. He was 26 years old that season. He only played 3 more seasons after that and in 2 of those final 3 seasons he only had 74 touches combined. He was never the same. Jamal Lewis is another one. After that record season, he was just never the same and never had the explosiveness that he had prior to that season. He had a few more good seasons, but when he was 29 years old his average yards per carry dropped almost a yard. He retired after 9 seasons.

Rice is in his 6th season and in the past 3 seasons he has almost 1,100 touches (receptions + rushes).
    Hell, look at Adrian Foster.

In that 2 year span a couple years ago when all those backs were getting extensions, I don't think any of those teams would make those deals again with the exception of the Vikings.

And it's not all necessarily because those backs suddenly became washed up, but because teams either found out they had perfectly capable backups, or they realized that unless they are named Adrian Peterson, their RB can't be the entire focus of your offense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

It could be his injury is lingering, but it could be he's slowed, we'll all be certain this season. Both him and Pierce are averaging 2.9 ypc, so he's not being shown up but it's way below his career average of 4.5 ypc. The offensive line isn't doing either of them any favors. He has done a good job in his career avoiding big hits, so I don't think he takes the punishment that a lot of power backs do. Hopefully this gets turned around soon.

As much as I like Ray, I was never a fan of his contract though, but that's an answer to another question.

Blog Entries

So now it is Gino's fault that Rice fumbled the ball?

Got it.
    No you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I don't. Pierce has been a solid back-up, and it was wise for Ozzie to trade up (3rd round) to get him, but he's no Ray Rice. RR at his best (which he isn't right now) is a dynamic play maker, while Pierce is an excellent change of pace for opposing defenses to figure out.
    I'm glad the Ravens have both... Bc

Well, IF Ray Rice were at his best, then this wouldn't be a discussion. But he is not at his best, and there is solid reasoning/evidence to think he won't get back to that level.

Also, change of pace can work in the opposite scenario. RR can be a great change of pace back for Pierce.

On another note the team needs to do less zone blocking, which I'm guessing they believe would help a back like Rice. Except with Rice not cutting and hitting the holes the way he used to, simply is working against the Ravens.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    Well, IF Ray Rice were at his best, then this wouldn't be a discussion. But he is not at his best, and there is solid reasoning/evidence to think he won't get back to that level.
    Also, change of pace can work in the opposite scenario. RR can be a great change of pace back for Pierce.
    On another note the team needs to do less zone blocking, which I'm guessing they believe would help a back like Rice. Except with Rice not cutting and hitting the holes the way he used to, simply is working against the Ravens.
    So you would "promote" Pierce to primary RB with Rice as back-up huh? I don't, and it looks like the coaching staff doesn't either, look like we agree with you... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    No you don't.
    No, I get it.

You heard someone say on the radio that Gino is at fault for Rice's inability to hang onto the ball.

So, therefor it must be Gino's fault.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.

No, I get it.

You heard someone say on the radio that Gino is at fault for Rice's inability to hang onto the ball.

Nailed it.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Nailed it.
    Fucking Gino...that guy...

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

No, I get it.

No he read it in an article on the internet, which will be linked in his next post

Last 8, including last year's post season

141 for 469 yards, or (3.0 yards) per carry
    25 for 160 yards (6.4 yards) per catch

5 fumbles in 166 touches.

Blog Entries

SOLO - Just like you got it with Henne too.

Ravens are 22-5 when Ray scores a rushing TD.

But you've seen flashes of Rice bouncing back into form, especially in the red zone. He reached the end zone twice Sunday, and if you needed another number favoring him, the Ravens are 22-5 when he scores a rushing touchdown.

http://espn.go.com/blog/baltimore-ra...espnapi_public
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 10-07-2013 at 06:45 PM.

Blog Entries

Ray Rice - slowing down? Or still injured?

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    SOLO - Just like you got it with Henne too.

Ravens are 22-5 when Ray scores a rushing TD.

But you've seen flashes of Rice bouncing back into form, especially in the red zone. He reached the end zone twice Sunday, and if you needed another number favoring him, the Ravens are 22-5 when he scores a rushing touchdown.

http://espn.go.com/blog/baltimore-ra...espnapi_public
    Vinny said it! I heard'em say it!!!

It is the truth!

Gino gazed at Rice as he was running down the field and Gino smite Rice with his all-powerful run blocking prowess and made Rice fumble worse than Rice has ever fumbled before!

How is it possible for Gino to cause Rice to fumble?

Folks, this is simple. You see, Gino comes from a long line of Delaware lineman who specialize in causing their own team mates to fumble without even touching them. Amazing? Absolutely. Believable? Trapsolutely.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

Blog Entries

:

Over 1100 yards rushing last year with Birk blocking for him plus over 400 yds
    receiving for 1500+ all purpose yards.

http://www.nfl.com/player/rayrice/941/profile
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 10-07-2013 at 07:49 PM.

Blog Entries

In the last 25 games (2012 & 2013), the Ravens have gone 8-3 when R2 rushed for a TD...and 9-5 when he did not. Not a major difference IMO.

The "rushing for TD" w/l numbers are skewed by 2011, when Rice rushed for a TD in 8 games & the Ravens won all of them, going 5-5 when he did not.