Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Ray Rice - slowing down? Or still injured?

It's probably that Rice isn't yet 100%, & after having something go sproinnnng! when he wasn't even touched, that may be in part mental.

But based on his performance in postseasons past as well as this year, let me offer up this conjecture:
    Ray Rice gets in trouble when he tries too hard to make something happen.
    One of R2's strengths has always been his balance. I recall one run when the Bengals thought they had him knocked down for a 5-6 yard gain & he pushed up with his free hand & took it another ~30 yards for the TD.

When he's trying to make something out of nothing, he leans too far forward & then when he tries to cut his feet tend to go out from under him. Ball security suffers when he's straining for that extra yard & he loses alertness for blindside hits, so the ball pops out more often.

Is he trying to put the team on his back? Is he worried about job security when he sees Pierce busting big gains? I dunno.

But I think the solution for R2's woes is that he should just stop trying to be Superman & go back to being your everyday Mighty Mouse.

A bit of both. He did not look explosive early in the season. He is going down easier than he did in the past. The big difference is when he gets to the second level. In the pas he could make people miss and extend the play. That is just no happening now. He is not much of a factor in the passing game either and it is not because he is getting double teamed. Rice getting stopped for short and no gain is not new to this year either. The difference in the past was that when he did get an opening he would exploit it for a big gain. Similar to the run that Pierce had for 30 yards yesterday. The one play that stands out to me as an example that he is not the same was the run on the final drive. He had 1 guy to beat to get 2 yards for the first down and he fell down barely getting touched. In the past he would have gotten the first down. He is just the not the same player. Does not mean he cannot be an important part of the offense but he is not going to be the guy he was two years ago.

I feature that Ray is still trying to attain game shape 100%. He may be physically 100% but hasn't attained 100% game shape.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    In today's NFL, it's probably not unreasonable to spend a 3rd round pick every 3 years for a replacement running back. Let your #1 play out his rookie contract and just replace him, spending your cap dollars on other necessities. Running backs just take a lot of pounding and the wear and tear catches up to them pretty quickly.
    You may be on to something.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

While his YPC is only now suffering courtesy of our OL, Ray has been getting owned by turf gremlins since late 2011. On top of that, the man moves his feet, but he's not really shaking anyone. All he's doing is giving a chance for the defender to close the distance and wrap up. It's unreasonable to expect him to suddenly become a plant-and-go guy, so I don't know what his future is going to look like.

Starting RBs don't magically heal up during the season, but there are no gimmes in our schedule either, so I don't know when it's "safe" to sit him.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

This is the difference in fan base between us and pitt fans. RR is our Ben in terms of he is the best player on the team. Unlike them we can see that our "best" player is no longer our "best" player and can actually debate it with out blasphemy. That's why I say Ravens fans are the most knowledgble fans out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    They just need to block an open some holes for him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    I know the line hasn't been great, but after watching yesterday's game, some of the blame needs to go to Rice. Simply not hitting the hole quickly.
    The plays that seemed successful, is where the backs ran hard to spot/area where play was designed.
    I think the time to switch Pierce to starter and Rice to backup is sooner rather than later.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    I know the line hasn't been great, but after watching yesterday's game, some of the blame needs to go to Rice. Simply not hitting the hole quickly.
    The plays that seemed successful, is where the backs ran hard to spot/area where play was designed.
    I think the time to switch Pierce to starter and Rice to backup is sooner rather than later.
    It's not like Pierce is killing it. He had one long run but otherwise a lot of short runs.

These guys need a lane to get to the 2nd level and then see what they can do on their own. I agree Rice is injured and there is no excuse for fumbling.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    I don't. Pierce has been a solid back-up, and it was wise for Ozzie to trade up (3rd round) to get him, but he's no Ray Rice. RR at his best (which he isn't right now) is a dynamic play maker, while Pierce is an excellent change of pace for opposing defenses to figure out.
    I'm glad the Ravens have both... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    The fumble isnt on him...wow. Ok. Well, hey all of those interceptions Joe threw last week weren't on him either. Just lucky defensive plays.

/hyperbole

You didn't even see where the guy jumped over your boy Gino who was
    in his favorite prolonged position on the ground after hitting nobody (58 and 59 are standing over him and laughing) and straight into Ray's shoulder and arm. Drag the film down for less than a second and that helmet comes down on the arm. It was a great defensive play where he jumps over a guy and straight into Rice all in one motion. It was lightning fast and STan said not many would have held on to the ball.

Rice is a running back. His primary objective is to protect the football when he gets it. That fumble is directly on him because he didn't have the ball secured enough.
    After Rice fumbled during the playoffs and walked off the field his RB coach
    pounded on his chest, ie, tuck the ball in and against the chest.

That is exactly where Ray held the ball. It took a ferocious hit to jar it loose.
    If Gino had done his job and hit him, Ray might not have fumbled the ball
    to begin with.

Note how OJ runs with the ball. He's holding the ball exactly the way Ray
    did and with one arm free and in traffic. Jim Brown said he loved his free arm because he used it as a weapon. He stiffed armed people with it. You did not want to get stiff armed by Brown's free arm.

See OJ run just like Rice. Well, nobody did it like OJ.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1p5mgaT6mY
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 10-07-2013 at 01:12 PM.

Has there been any mention that Rice seems to fall down a lot without being touched by anyone (stumble-itis)? Even when touched though, he's being brought down by the 1st guy, when before you would see a hand on the turf to keep running. It's been happening since last year from my reckoning.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    After Rice fumbled during the playoffs and walked off the field his RB coach
    pounded on his chest, ie, tuck the ball in and against the chest.

That is exactly where Ray held the ball. It took a ferocious hit to jar it loose.
    If Gino had done his job and hit him, Ray might not have fumbled the ball
    to begin with.

Note how OJ runs with the ball. He's holding the ball exactly the way Ray
    did and with one arm free and in traffic. Jim Brown said he loved his free arm because he used it as a weapon. He stiffed armed people with it. You did not want to get stiff armed by Brown's free arm.

See OJ run just like Rice. Well, nobody did it like OJ.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1p5mgaT6mY
    So now it is Gino's fault that Rice fumbled the ball?

Got it.

Yet it is Joe's fault every time he throws an interception...right Trap?
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.