Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 49

Thread: Move Yanda to C

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,307
    Blog Entries
    4

    Move Yanda to C



    He's an elite right guard, but he's clearly being wasted right now with the way the line around him is playing. So here is a simple solution....

    Move him to C, and insert Wagner at RG. Wagner struggled against Denver at RT, but he's a big body that can move the pile. He looked good in the pre season, and coming from someone who watches a lot of Wisconsin football, his run blocking was his main strength in college.

    We need to try something like this, because right now, it's really worrying.




  2. #2

    Re: Move Yanda to C

    I would give Shipley a shot before trying this. And I also think there is a 0% chance of either happening anytime soon. They will give Gino some time.

    The simple fact is, Gino is nowhere near the only problem with our OL, even if it may be easiest to find plays where he looks bad. KO has regressed, Oher still gets beat, and even McKinnie can't block his guy for very long. If everyone else was playing as well as they were in last year's playoffs, Gino's inexperience, or lack of size, or mental errors would be way less noticeable.




  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,173
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Move Yanda to C

    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    He's an elite right guard, but he's clearly being wasted right now with the way the line around him is playing. So here is a simple solution....

    Move him to C, and insert Wagner at RG. Wagner struggled against Denver at RT, but he's a big body that can move the pile. He looked good in the pre season, and coming from someone who watches a lot of Wisconsin football, his run blocking was his main strength in college.

    We need to try something like this, because right now, it's really worrying.
    The entire line is confused right now, Yanda included. If the problem is the calls, don't think moving Yanda there solves that, because I don't think he knows whats going on either. Thats the only explanation for his drop in play.




  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Land of Verdite
    Posts
    13,337
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Move Yanda to C

    This is so not the solution.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"




  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    2,259
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Move Yanda to C

    Has Yanda ever played center? There's the timing/handoff that is crucial with Flacco. I'd hate to take a player that is pro bowl at RT and make him average at center which could be the case.

    I just don't know enough about linemen to know what the issue is. I look forward to Film Study's notes this week.

    I like the idea of Shipley maybe. But it depends on where the real issue is.

    Heck, we have Caldwell, Stokely and Clark. Let's just talk Jeff Saturday out of retirement! (that's a joke btw)




  6. #6

    Re: Move Yanda to C

    Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    The entire line is confused right now, Yanda included. If the problem is the calls, don't think moving Yanda there solves that, because I don't think he knows whats going on either. Thats the only explanation for his drop in play.
    Yanda knows how to do his job. He's confused about doing his job and the job of those around him. He's better at man to man. I think they all are. Look for a change.




  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Stevensville, MD
    Posts
    1,587

    Re: Move Yanda to C

    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...





  8. #8

    Re: Move Yanda to C

    Talk about a knee jerk reaction. You said it, he's an elite "GUARD"...why move him from a position of strength to a position of weakness. Insert Wagner in Yanda's place and you'll see a significant drop off in play.
    The entire OL is struggling right now. This coaching staff is clearly intent on sticking with the blocking scheme. The offense in general is a work in progress. We all knew that so need to panic.




  9. #9

    Re: Move Yanda to C

    Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    Has Yanda ever played center? There's the timing/handoff that is crucial with Flacco. I'd hate to take a player that is pro bowl at RT and make him average at center which could be the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by ERey
    I just don't know enough about linemen to know what the issue is. I look forward to Film Study's notes this week.
    True dat. I can kinda follow individual OL players on a given snap when viewing in person. It's hopeless for me to see any single OL performance from the standard CBS broadcasts, unless they give me a replay.

    Quote Originally Posted by ERey
    I like the idea of Shipley maybe. But it depends on where the real issue is.
    Shipley makes more sense than bringing in a guy from outside the offense in the 1st week of Oct., and I wasn't laughing when you mentioned Saturday! Shipley will get more work w/ the ones this week, but he, too, got manhandled and appeared clueless in the Atlanta exhibition game. No immediate miracles, I fear.

    Does Film Study or anybody know how we were blocking (i.e ZBS or man to man) on 1st drive in 1Q 3rd exhibition game in Aug.(Carolina @ home)? It was Yanda's 1st appearance of the season, and the only moments I recall seeing our OL totally dominating this year

    Of course that could be on the Panthers.
    Last edited by Tucker: M&T Sec 527; 09-30-2013 at 04:26 PM.




  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    16,030
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Move Yanda to C

    The answer isn't to screw up 2 positions.
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,307
    Blog Entries
    4
    Hello? Isn't it obvious where the main issue is? It's Gino, he's our worst lineman by far right now.




  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pasadena
    Posts
    10,126
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Move Yanda to C

    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Hello? Isn't it obvious where the main issue is? It's Gino, he's our worst lineman by far right now.
    I don't think taking your blue chip guard and making him play center, when he never has in his life, is a good idea.

    I'd say either start Shipley or see what Jensen has when he gets healthy.




  13. #13

    Re: Move Yanda to C

    Is this a joke?




  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Cockeysville, MD
    Posts
    4,505

    Re: Move Yanda to C

    Not a fan of playing musical chairs with the offensive line, thereby weakening multiple positions in an attempt to upgrade one.




  15. #15

    Re: Move Yanda to C

    Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    Not a fan of playing musical chairs with the offensive line, thereby weakening multiple positions in an attempt to upgrade one.
    I agree.

    Do I think it shouldn't be discussed at all? Nope.

    But I don't think I would go that route unless Wagner has plenty of practice time at guard and shows in practice that he is ready to play there. Don't forget, Wagner is our backup tackle.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland