Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Steelers trade for Levi Brown

When you look at the Steelers and the Ravens, it is clear who has drafted better. Then, the Steelers tough cap situation has played a role (I only say a role, because I don't think they would have given Wallace what Miami gave him anyway) in losing some of the few quality draft picks they've had. The CB that played well last year opposite Ike Taylor left. Mike Wallace left. Now, they aren't even drafting well at all.

It'd be interesting to see the difference in draft success between the two teams since 2008.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"

I am not sure it is too soon. This is Adams' second year. And he has been disappointing. The Steelers have nothing to lose, Brown can't be any more ineffective. If anything, it could have a positive psychological effect for the line and the team. The word is Adams is the gentle giant; he does not get fired up, he does not have the fire in his belly. The line is the absolute dirty underbelly of the NFL. Either guys just dwell there, fail miserably, or leave behind carnage. Adams is failing miserably.

The good news is that if Brown does no work out, the Steelers really have lost nothing, especially in the way of $$. Velasco has stepped in admirably, hopefully Brown can at least slow some DL's up or make a few highlight reels.

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    This move by the Steelers spells big trouble for them down the road. Trading for a terrible LT to replace a disappointing 2nd round pick is not good. I thought the Adams pick was bad at the time. I follow college football and recruiting and Adams was a big disappointment in college. He was one of the top talents coming out of high school and never lived up to expectations. He was soft and did not show a lot of dedication. Surprised the Steelers threw in the the towel so soon.

Steelers fan here. I'm not excited about Levi Brown in the least, but we aren't paying him anything but vet minimum.

The Cardinals picked up the bulk of his money for this season and actually gave us a conditional pick and Levi Brown to take him.

It was a pretty amazing trade Ozzie pulled off to get Eugene Monroe. This is quickly becoming the norm.

The Steelers have drafted pretty poorly overall since 2008. There were a few hits (A. Brown, Wallace, Sanders, Keenan Lewis, etc.) but there were far too many misses.

Good luck the rest of the year. You guys are going to be in it til the end.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    This is like watching your enemy die a slow terrible death.

And I love it. Salt those wounds!

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    Steelers fan here. I'm not excited about Levi Brown in the least, but we aren't paying him anything but vet minimum.

The Cardinals picked up the bulk of his money for this season and actually gave us a conditional pick and Levi Brown to take him.

It was a pretty amazing trade Ozzie pulled off to get Eugene Monroe. This is quickly becoming the norm.

The Steelers have drafted pretty poorly overall since 2008. There were a few hits (A. Brown, Wallace, Sanders, Keenan Lewis, etc.) but there were far too many misses.

Yeah, the Brown trade is a no risk move for you guys. Can't fault that, imo.

As for Monroe, if we manage to sign him to a multi-year deal then it will be a real coup, otherwise it is a semi-expensive one-year rental (though I still like the move).

I agree about the Steelers drafts, they have been well below par for them (which means they have been average or decent, but not great).

Your O-line is the main problem. But also your defense is not creating turnovers at all, which is pretty shocking. There is a lot of luck involved in turnovers, but I don't think luck can explain the turnover shutout thus far. Something else is going on there, not sure what.

Obviously the Steelers are struggling, and if they don't step it up pretty majorly starting now, their season is going nowhere, but I still don't think they can be ruled out. Why? Because our whole division is struggling. The Bengals play the Patriots, and we play a decent Dolphins team on the road, and after the weekend, the Steelers may only be one game back of us and the Bengals in the loss column, which would be crazy considering you are winless. I am still not sold on the Browns, especially with Weeden; they are improved but I still don't see them better than 7-9, or 8-8 at best.

Good luck to you as well. If you don't turn it around soon, and the season is a lost cause, I may actually be rooting for you guys when you play the Bengals and Browns.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post

How Ozzie made that deal is beyond me. It seemed like cap hell but he managed to not absorb much of the salary while picking up a solid LT. The Brown deal wasn't bad but nothing to be excited about. Maybe the change of scenery will be good for him, your options were slim. Obviously they wanted to get rid of him. The Steelers have built from the draft in the past but in recent years there's been a significant drop off. Anything happen I'm not aware of?

As a Steelers fan, I agree with everything you say.

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    Yeah, the Brown trade is a no risk move for you guys. Can't fault that, imo.

As for Monroe, if we manage to sign him to a multi-year deal then it will be a real coup, otherwise it is a semi-expensive one-year rental (though I still like the move).

I agree about the Steelers drafts, they have been well below par for them (which means they have been average or decent, but not great).

Your O-line is the main problem. But also your defense is not creating turnovers at all, which is pretty shocking. There is a lot of luck involved in turnovers, but I don't think luck can explain the turnover shutout thus far. Something else is going on there, not sure what.

Obviously the Steelers are struggling, and if they don't step it up pretty majorly starting now, their season is going nowhere, but I still don't think they can be ruled out. Why? Because our whole division is struggling. The Bengals play the Patriots, and we play a decent Dolphins team on the road, and after the weekend, the Steelers may only be one game back of us and the Bengals in the loss column, which would be crazy considering you are winless. I am still not sold on the Browns, especially with Weeden; they are improved but I still don't see them better than 7-9, or 8-8 at best.

Good luck to you as well. If you don't turn it around soon, and the season is a lost cause, I may actually be rooting for you guys when you play the Bengals and Browns.

Blog Entries

Wrong. Trading for Brown was a high risk move. He only counts as vet minimum this year, but 6 million next. If he is cut in off-season counts as 2 mlion in dead $. He brings a future bad contract to Pittsburgh. They dont need anymore of those with the cap shape they have next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Tolucaraven View Post
    Wrong. Trading for Brown was a high risk move. He only counts as vet minimum this year, but 6 million next. If he is cut in off-season counts as 2 mlion in dead $. He brings a future bad contract to Pittsburgh. They dont need anymore of those with the cap shape they have next year.
    There is no dead money at all. You do not inherit bonus proration in trades. The team that gets rid of the player has them all accelerate at the time of the trade.

There is no downside at all to a one-year cheap rental (other than the conditional draft pick, which is negligible, imo).

Obviously the $6M number for next year is not insignificant, but it only will be paid if he is playing at or above that level and the Steelers can find the space (which I think is doubtful, but who knows), otherwise he will be released at no cost.

No risk at all.

Todd Haley must have that effect on everyone he coaches

Levi Brown: 'I'm not necessarily sure (Todd Haley) is in my corner

"Well, you know, Todd is an interesting fella. Let's just leave it at that," Brown said, as quoted by Bouchette. "Me and Todd -- I mean, everybody has their arguments. I'm not sure he's like necessarily in my corner, but, at this point, I'm here, so, obviously, he liked that fight in me, so I appreciate it."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    Todd Haley must have that effect on everyone he coaches

Levi Brown: 'I'm not necessarily sure (Todd Haley) is in my corner
    Todd Haley is a prick who will be fired after this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post

Great point, and hard to explain. One thing I've wondered about is the effect of so many teams switching to a 3-4 in the past 7-8 years. One of the reasons the Steelers were able to reload so easily is that they were looking for 'tweener' players (3-4 DE and OLB's) that no one else had a place for. So they got them cheap and replaced them easily once they turned them into Pro Bowlers.

Now there is competition for those guys,
    "Leave. Your. Mark."

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Great point, and hard to explain. One thing I've wondered about is the effect of so many teams switching to a 3-4 in the past 7-8 years. One of the reasons the Steelers were able to reload so easily is that they were looking for 'tweener' players (3-4 DE and OLB's) that no one else had a place for. So they got them cheap and replaced them easily once they turned them into Pro Bowlers.

Interesting point, and I think it is persuasive.

For a while there they had the pick of the litter with these unorthodox, multi-role players. Now their FO has to actually earn its keep in finding and drafting these guys before their competition does.

They just can't generate pressure. Pressure generates turnovers. They also play off the line, in an attempt to keep the play in front of the tackle. I don't think the personnel matches the scheme either. Troy P. has been effective, but he can't do it all himself. Some players I do believe have more sacks than the entire Steelers team (Suggs has got to be close).

I remember last year watching a feature about a team, I can't remember who it was ( can tell you it was not the Steelers!), that spent time every day practicing turnovers; forcing them recovering, etc. There was even a ball mounted on a semi-flexible pole outside the locker the room the players were required to swat every time they went in and out of the locker room. That is sharp coaching right there folks.

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post

If the Steelers had any brains they would've fire Haley during their bye week. You would've thought after the success the Ravens had in firing Cam during the season, other teams would start to do it. Previously, it was a forbidden thing to do.