Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Steelers trade for Levi Brown

Quote Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
    Random thought...
    if the Ravens had beaten Buffalo and Pittsburgh was 3 games out of 1st instead of 2, do they even make this deal? They have to think this season can still be salvaged.
    I doubt the Steelers have given up on this season at all. Extreme denial. They have serious talent issues and cap problems. It would be funny if Ravens trade mckinnnie to Arizona.

Blog Entries

Let them get Brown, even if he is an improvement, it won't save their season and it will further damage 2014 for them.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Let them get Brown, even if he is an improvement, it won't save their season and it will further damage 2014 for them.
    Starting 0-4 they will need to go 8-4 just to get to .500, not likely they can go 9-3 to have a chance at the playoffs, their schedule is tough.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    omg the Steelers have really gone downhill.

http://www.overthecap.com/cap.php?Na...Team=Cardinals
    Yeah, I really can't comprehrend what they are thinking with this one. They need to get rid of the older, declining players, not restructure more of contracts making it even more difficult to get rid of those older, declining players! And, to do so for Levi Brown?!?!? :grbac:
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
    Random thought...
    if the Ravens had beaten Buffalo and Pittsburgh was 3 games out of 1st instead of 2, do they even make this deal? They have to think this season can still be salvaged.
    Is this about salvaging the season or trying to make sure that Ben isn't too beat up to play next year?

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Is this about salvaging the season or trying to make sure that Ben isn't too beat up to play next year?
    Can always hand it off or go uber-max protect vs. making this kind of desperate move.

I suspect they think they can still win the division assuming they improve. Realistically, both us and the Bengals could be 2-3 after this week, which would mean the Steelers would be only one game back in the loss column. Not saying we will lose, but is possible, Miami looks capable enough at home to beat us if we play anywhere near as bad as last week.

The Steelers also have not yet lost any division games that they "should have" won, i.e. home games or at Cleveland.

Obviously they look like crap, so if they don't get it together they would have no chance regardless, but I don't think they are so far behind (at 2 games) to be out of it with 12 games left to be played.

I don't think the Steelers have any chance to make the playoffs at this point. With 4 losses already in the books, they can't afford to lose any more than 2 more games the rest of the season to have any realistic chance. And they still have games IN Green Bay and IN New England, both of which are almost guaranteed losses. Beyond that, they still have to play us twice, Cleveland twice, and the Bengals once more. Not to mention games against the Dolphins and Lions.

And let's face it, they're not exactly "close" to being a good team anyway.

Furthermore, since the AFL-NFL merger in 1970, only one team that started 0-4 has ever made the playoffs: 1992 San Diego. One team, in 43 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerracuda View Post
    I don't think the Steelers have any chance to make the playoffs at this point. With 4 losses already in the books, they can't afford to lose any more than 2 more games the rest of the season to have any realistic chance. And they still have games IN Green Bay and IN New England, both of which are almost guaranteed losses. Beyond that, they still have to play us twice, Cleveland twice, and the Bengals once more. Not to mention games against the Dolphins and Lions.

And let's face it, they're not exactly "close" to being a good team anyway.

Furthermore, since the AFL-NFL merger in 1970, only one team that started 0-4 has ever made the playoffs: 1992 San Diego. One team, in 43 years.
    The fact they are not close to being good is the biggest factor.

But the 0-4 stat isn't as meaningful as the fact that 9-7 (or worse) has won divisions multiple times over the recent years. Four times in the last 3 years, six times in the last 5 years. And 10 times in the 11 years since the NFL expanded from 6 to 8 divisions.

They could finish 9-7 if they turn it around and lose to NE, GB, and us (one time). And 9-7 could win our division, based on how the division has started (leader is 2-2...only us and the NFC East has a 2-2 leader).

I am not saying there is a serious chance, because I think the Steelers have serious, unfixable (this year) flaws. But the standings math isn't prohibitory.

You also have to figure Roethlisberger's health. He may be only 31 years old, but considering the beating he's taken behind that porous O-line over the years, he's an OLD 31, and you can realistically factor in about another 5 years, making him the equivalent of a 36 year old QB. As someone upthread said, he may not play beyond 2015, which would put him around the equivalent of a 38 year old.

One more thing about Roethlisberger: His success has depended largely on his ability to escape tackles and extend the play for his receivers to get open. As he ages, that ability to stay upright from tackles becomes harder to do. That's probably more of a factor than a QB's arm strength weakening with age.

Should be an interesting few years in that town coming up, especially considering their current cap situation, and the fact that Ben's contract, unless he restructures, is scheduled to give the Steeler's an $18 million cap hit starting in 2014.

Another gem from the Steelers board:

Quote Originally Posted by hilarious steelers fan

I bet Arians is laughing his ass off how he dumped a big fat lump of shit and it's bloated contract on our doorstep - and we picked it up - licking our fingers and thinking it's Christmas pudding!

hahahaha

This was Bruce Arians final revenge!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    Another gem from the Steelers board:
    Oh. My. Dog. Worth the price of admission.

(Any truth to the rumor that Heinz is adding a new line specifically for sale at Condiment Colosseum? Something on the order of We-Won't-Never-Ketchup?? :D)