Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Move Yanda to C

Blog Entries

Move Yanda to C

He's an elite right guard, but he's clearly being wasted right now with the way the line around him is playing. So here is a simple solution....

Move him to C, and insert Wagner at RG. Wagner struggled against Denver at RT, but he's a big body that can move the pile. He looked good in the pre season, and coming from someone who watches a lot of Wisconsin football, his run blocking was his main strength in college.

We need to try something like this, because right now, it's really worrying.

Re: Move Yanda to C

I would give Shipley a shot before trying this. And I also think there is a 0% chance of either happening anytime soon. They will give Gino some time.

The simple fact is, Gino is nowhere near the only problem with our OL, even if it may be easiest to find plays where he looks bad. KO has regressed, Oher still gets beat, and even McKinnie can't block his guy for very long. If everyone else was playing as well as they were in last year's playoffs, Gino's inexperience, or lack of size, or mental errors would be way less noticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    He's an elite right guard, but he's clearly being wasted right now with the way the line around him is playing. So here is a simple solution....

Move him to C, and insert Wagner at RG. Wagner struggled against Denver at RT, but he's a big body that can move the pile. He looked good in the pre season, and coming from someone who watches a lot of Wisconsin football, his run blocking was his main strength in college.

We need to try something like this, because right now, it's really worrying.
    The entire line is confused right now, Yanda included. If the problem is the calls, don't think moving Yanda there solves that, because I don't think he knows whats going on either. Thats the only explanation for his drop in play.

Blog Entries

This is so not the solution.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Has Yanda ever played center? There's the timing/handoff that is crucial with Flacco. I'd hate to take a player that is pro bowl at RT and make him average at center which could be the case.

I just don't know enough about linemen to know what the issue is. I look forward to Film Study's notes this week.

I like the idea of Shipley maybe. But it depends on where the real issue is.

Heck, we have Caldwell, Stokely and Clark. Let's just talk Jeff Saturday out of retirement! (that's a joke btw)

Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    The entire line is confused right now, Yanda included. If the problem is the calls, don't think moving Yanda there solves that, because I don't think he knows whats going on either. Thats the only explanation for his drop in play.
    Yanda knows how to do his job. He's confused about doing his job and the job of those around him. He's better at man to man. I think they all are. Look for a change.

:grbac:
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Talk about a knee jerk reaction. You said it, he's an elite "GUARD"...why move him from a position of strength to a position of weakness. Insert Wagner in Yanda's place and you'll see a significant drop off in play.
    The entire OL is struggling right now. This coaching staff is clearly intent on sticking with the blocking scheme. The offense in general is a work in progress. We all knew that so need to panic.

Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    Has Yanda ever played center? There's the timing/handoff that is crucial with Flacco. I'd hate to take a player that is pro bowl at RT and make him average at center which could be the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by ERey
    I just don't know enough about linemen to know what the issue is. I look forward to Film Study's notes this week.
    True dat. I can kinda follow individual OL players on a given snap when viewing in person. It's hopeless for me to see any single OL performance from the standard CBS broadcasts, unless they give me a replay.

Quote Originally Posted by ERey
    I like the idea of Shipley maybe. But it depends on where the real issue is.
    Shipley makes more sense than bringing in a guy from outside the offense in the 1st week of Oct., and I wasn't laughing when you mentioned Saturday! Shipley will get more work w/ the ones this week, but he, too, got manhandled and appeared clueless in the Atlanta exhibition game. No immediate miracles, I fear.

Does Film Study or anybody know how we were blocking (i.e ZBS or man to man) on 1st drive in 1Q 3rd exhibition game in Aug.(Carolina @ home)? It was Yanda's 1st appearance of the season, and the only moments I recall seeing our OL totally dominating this year

Of course that could be on the Panthers.
    Last edited by Tucker: M&T Sec 527; 09-30-2013 at 04:26 PM.

Blog Entries

The answer isn't to screw up 2 positions.

Blog Entries
    Hello? Isn't it obvious where the main issue is? It's Gino, he's our worst lineman by far right now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Hello? Isn't it obvious where the main issue is? It's Gino, he's our worst lineman by far right now.
    I don't think taking your blue chip guard and making him play center, when he never has in his life, is a good idea.

I'd say either start Shipley or see what Jensen has when he gets healthy.