Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 95
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,742

    Re: Government Shutdown



    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    The article you linked says 0 enrolled but because of the sites issues, not that they werent getting on the actual enrollment website. Thats basically what all the websites are saying. People are trying to sign up and it caused issues. this to me is still supporting the original link i posted. They didnt plan on that much traffic immediately, which you can take either way as how confident they were or how many interested people there are.
    That's why I posted the second link, to show, just because people MAY be going there (if that's actually why the site is shutting down) it doesn't mean people are signing up.

    And like I said earlier, that pretyped message that pops up doesn't mean that's what happening. For example California could have typed, "due to an overwhelming number of applicants this process will take longer than normal please bare with us." In reality the site just sucks and people really aren't that interested.

    http://www.latimes.com/business/mone...,7108713.story
    State officials said the Covered California website got 645,000 hits during the first day of enrollment, far fewer than the 5 million it reported Tuesday.
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  2. #62
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,512
    Look, people are going to sign up. These problems will get fixed.

    But I think it's a huge lack of seeing the forrest through the trees if you think that all these site hits are because this program is wildly popular.

    Especially when you consider the law compels people to sign up.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  3. #63

    Re: Government Shutdown

    People wouldnt be going to the website for enrollment on the first day of a 6 month window if they really didnt want it. Theyd be procrastinating, because theres no benefit to signing up early. my issue is the projection that because oneself doesnt like or want it that "nobody" wants it. Thats simply not true. majority of people would be at least debatable.
    -JAB




  4. #64
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,742

    Re: Government Shutdown

    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    People wouldnt be going to the website for enrollment on the first day of a 6 month window if they really didnt want it. Theyd be procrastinating, because theres no benefit to signing up early. my issue is the projection that because oneself doesnt like or want it that "nobody" wants it. Thats simply not true. majority of people would be at least debatable.
    Hello Captain Literal, nice to meet you
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  5. #65

    Re: Government Shutdown

    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Hello Captain Literal, nice to meet you
    literal sense is nobody, but youre also implying the vast majority that its not even close.

    i disagree.
    -JAB




  6. #66
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,742

    Re: Government Shutdown

    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    literal sense is nobody, but youre also implying the vast majority that its not even close.

    i disagree.
    Based off what evidence?
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  7. #67
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,512

    Re: Government Shutdown

    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    People wouldnt be going to the website for enrollment on the first day of a 6 month window if they really didnt want it. Theyd be procrastinating, because theres no benefit to signing up early. my issue is the projection that because oneself doesnt like or want it that "nobody" wants it. Thats simply not true. majority of people would be at least debatable.
    Really?

    I went to one of their sites to see what my rates would be. Given that traffic dropped off a great deal, I don't think I was alone in that endeavor.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  8. #68

    Re: Government Shutdown

    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Based off what evidence?
    really no need to keep talking in circles. I dont think Polls mean anything and you dont feel internet traffic means anything.
    -JAB




  9. #69
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,512

    Re: Government Shutdown

    On streets where the cops employ traffic cameras, the average speed of the drivers drops.

    Not because it's desired by the drivers or they all of a sudden want to do something safe.

    They drive slower because they don't want to pay the fine.

    Thats called voluntold.

    Same goes here.

    http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...term=voluntold
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  10. #70
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,742

    Re: Government Shutdown

    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    really no need to keep talking in circles. I dont think Polls mean anything and you dont feel internet traffic means anything.
    It's not that I don't feel internet traffic means anything. It's the interpretation of the internet traffic, IF that is indeed why the sites aren't working.

    It's not as if the web browser is timing out, or stopping and giving a message back of "server too busy". Someone typed a message that "due to traffic we're running slow". That doesn't mean it's the case. And even if it was the case, it doesn't mean that it's actually a ton of traffic, it could just be a crappy site (most likely the case).

    The link I posted earlier that California a state with 35 million people only about 1/2 a million visited the website. That's not even 1.5% of their population that visited the site, not signed up, but visited the site. That's hardly popular.
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  11. #71

    Re: Government Shutdown

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I actually read a lot about what the law does and even though they are going to "tax" those who don't get health insurance, the tax won't be enforced... At least that's how I'm interpreting it.

    It also sounds like the law really isn't doing the poor any favors at all. However, that has been one of the main marketing points of the whole thing.

    Weird.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    For the most part yes. Poor folk already qualify for Medicaid so it's largely the status quo for that demographic.
    "On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the Draft

    Settle down. John Harbaugh and Joe Flacco's Baltimore Ravens can beat any team, anywhere.

    Having fun talking football and tech stuff on Twitter @BigPlayReceiver




  12. #72
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,512

    Re: Government Shutdown

    Obama's poll numbers are slipping.

    RCP poll average has Obama's disapproval rating at 50%, approval at 43%.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  13. #73

    Re: Government Shutdown

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Obama's poll numbers are slipping.

    RCP poll average has Obama's disapproval rating at 50%, approval at 43%.
    He certainly isn't doing himself any favors talking down the markets just to try to score political points. First time in history I think that has happened.

    And just like with the sequester, his administration is trying to hurt as many people as possible during the shutdown, going so far as to spend more money and man-hours to close stuff than is needed to keep them open (even attempting to close some stuff that runs on donations, not federal funds).

    Petty and embarrassing (or it should be). But despite these despicable tactics, the press will not hold him accountable, and therefore the damage will be limited.

    The Republicans will still cave though, for all intents and purposes, you can count on it. They don't know how to deal with the hostile press, and there are too many factions trying to position themselves for the future. Spells eventual capitulation for sure.
    Last edited by Haloti92; 10-04-2013 at 08:17 PM.




  14. #74
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Posts
    8,266

    Re: Government Shutdown

    Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    And just like with the sequester, his administration is trying to hurt as many people as possible during the shutdown, going so far as to spend more money and man-hours to close stuff than is needed to keep them open (even attempting to close some stuff that runs on donations, not federal funds).
    Which programs are those? Hard to keep up with everything...tons of homework to do!




  15. #75

    Re: Government Shutdown

    Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    Which programs are those? Hard to keep up with everything...tons of homework to do!
    Not sure what you mean when you say "programs."

    I am referring to the current shutdown and the national parks (primarily), but also the edict that went out to military chaplains saying they "risk arrest" if they volunteer to hold religious services during the shutdown. There are other examples popping up as well, which I can find and will add links over time.

    http://dailycaller.com/2013/10/02/se...-the-shutdown/

    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...t-out-mistake/

    http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc...NEWS/310030322


    As for the sequester, it was much more egregious, with memos being discovered demanding that departments do not make any adjustments to minimize effects. The examples from the sequester are easy to find, the FAA being the most obvious, where 4% budget cut turned into 10% cuts to air traffic controllers (who could have had no cuts easily if the goal was not to maximize public pain).

    I can find tons of articles on this, but it is easy to Google.
    Last edited by Haloti92; 10-04-2013 at 10:40 PM.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland