Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Government Shutdown

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Until we have a system where we vote by issue instead of by representative its going to be hard to argue with those results. At this point the smaller percentage has a voice that can overcome the majority. Thats where the system isnt working.
    Not sure what you mean here...

its one of Obamas biggest points in the election todo health care reform. less than half of the population doesnt want it or he wouldnt have been voted back in the second time. Its that "its not what I want so we should stop it" thats the issue. Until we have a system where we vote by issue instead of by representative its going to be hard to argue with those results. At this point the smaller percentage has a voice that can overcome the majority. Thats where the system isnt working.
    True Democracy's are sheer chaos and history has bore that out.

We need to hold our representatives more accountable.

We have the government we deserve right now. This is what you get when, by and large, the people are apathetic to Government. Switching to a true democracy won't change that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Not sure what you mean here...
    well youre under the impression that "nobody" wants ACA. so its going to be kind of hard to agree.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    I say next election we vote everyone out!
    Already there. Last election I voted without voting for any Democrats or Republicans. I plan on doing so for the foreseeable future. As was mentioned on page 1, it's not sufficient to replace people in office. It's about changing the behavior of our elected officials. Until the endless tug-of-war between Democrats and Republicans is interrupted, I have a hard time seeing how things will get better.

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    I get it Republicans don't like Obamacare. But how many times are they going to waste time trying to repeal it when they know that the Dems control the Senate and won't let it pass. Now your forcing a shutdown, and for what? This won't accomplish your goal. It's just going to hurt a lot of people.
    Exactly.

I have no affinity for the Democrats. I've never voted for a Democrat for President or a seat in Congress, but even I feel pretty strongly that this shut down is on the Republicans. Sure, maybe the Democrats played dirty pool somewhere along the line, but both sides do that continually. The simple fact is, the Republicans lost the fight over Obamacare, and they're not going to change that.

Regardless of your opinions on Obamacare or the tactics of the Democrats, I don't see how someone can be in favor of holding the country hostage over a losing battle.

dysfunction is the function of our government.

Theres so much misinformation on ACA its kind of hard to get a true gauge of how the people feel and that goes both ways. I liked John Stewart making fun of Ted Cruz for quoting green eggs and ham, "a book about a stubborn (guy) that says he hates something before he tries it and after trying it, he decides he likes it." Its all political BS in my opinion. Republicans dont want to support it to lose their base in case it doesnt work, and vice versa. ACA has its benefits and its downfalls, like most things in life, so im still taking a wait and see approach as most of what im hearing people complain about, simpy hasnt been true with my experiences so far. If they worked half as hard on coming together on a compromise as they have to either push it through or stop it all together itd be a lot better than where it is today. you know, how the government used to work. Guy has an idea, people embrace it, elect him, then both sides work together to actually make it functional. then again maybe that was just a dream i had.

“I think all of us should respect the outcome of elections, which reflects the will of the people.” - John McCain on ACA.
    In terms of information about the ACA... the more people find out about it, the more they dislike it. This is shown in the polls and in the fact that almost every promise and claim, from overall costs, to the effects on the deficit, to how many will be left without coverage, to people losing their current coverage, to people losing their spouse's coverage, to people losing their current doctor, to people having their hours reduced, etc., has been shown to be false. And the critics knew they were false at the time and said so.

As for McCain's quote. He ignores the fact that the people voted the Republicans into the House in an unprecedented and historical fashion precisely because of the way Democrats rammed an unpopular ACA through by hook and crook, using bribes, procedural tricks, budget gimmicks, and lies. And of course the House is not some rubber stamp of the White House, no matter how much you or Obama wants it to be so.

And no, 2012 was not a referendum on Obamacare, as much as you wish that to be so as well. It has polled poorly from the beginning, more people do not like it than like it, and this was the case in November 2012.

Real Clear Politics has 243 polls since its passing. 95 percent of them show people opposition to Obamacare. Only 4 percent show support (1 percent show tie). Two-thirds of the polls that show opposition do so by double digits or more. In the past 6 months, more than 75% of the pools show opposition, with the recent CNN poll showing 57 percent against and 38 percent for (19 percent margin is a blowout).

The problem with Obamacare is not just that it is terrible law, it is the manner in which it was passed. It is a massive entitlement program that concerns 15% of our economy, and was passed in a hackish partisan manner with no input from the opposition, and against the will of the people. No other piece of legislation this big was passed on such a party line vote.

And this doesn't even get into the way Democrats are acting now. These continuing resolutions are only required because Democrats haven't been bothered to pass a budget since they have been in power (too politically inconvenient to create a record of their profligate spending). And the ones being proposed by the House are not a repeal of Obamacare they are various forms of delay (to the individual mandate, the exchange funding, etc.). And Obama has already unilaterally and unconstitutionally delayed several aspects of the law for political convenience (employer mandate, the process of proving eligibility, etc.). So asking to delay the whole thing is perfectly reasonable. Perfectly.

Now again, our low information electorate combined with a sycophantic press make the way Democrats are acting tactically sensible, but it does not make it morally or logically justifiable.
    Last edited by Haloti92; 10-01-2013 at 12:57 PM.

Feels pretty good being a Libertarian today. :)

Blog Entries

Was just furloughed. Report back when told.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    That sucks. But it won't be for long, I am sure.

Republicans are getting ready to cave for sure, which is why it was dumb to take it this far.

Look at it this way.

The market is pretty high up right now. Looks like private enterprise can exists and thrive without the Gubmint after all.

:D

Just called the BATFE to check the status on my tax stamp on my NFA weapon.

Got a recording that the particular department that handles NFA weapons is shut down.

Dagger.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Sorry to those furloughed but . . .

KEEP IT SHUT DOWN!

Start funding it piece by piece. Start with military, courts, essential and Constitutional pieces. Let's see how much we suffer without the Departments of Energy and Education. Or Commerce. Or Agriculture.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    IIRC the last time they played this silly game, all furloughed federal employees eneded up getting back pay. I think you'll end up alright if you can just get through the short term.

Good luck.