Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Government Shutdown

Truly pathetic that our government can't work together, dare I say compromise, and is forcing a shutdown. Just got word today that because my position is emergency essential I will continue to work and get paid. So many others aren't as fortunate as myself. I told all my coworkers we should help others out during this time. I took my neighbor, who won't be getting paid, to the commissary yesterday and paid for his groceries. He has a family of 5. My sister "created" a temp job for another friend in D.C. at her work, so she can at least get a part time paycheck. The foolish and stubbornness of Congress will affect hundreds of thousands of people. I say next election we vote everyone out!
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Re: Government Shutdown

It is all about Obamacare. The shutdown doesn't occur if it weren't for that divisive piece of legislation.

And good luck finding politicians who won't act exactly the same way when they are elected. ;)

Getting rid of specific Congressmen is somewhat easy, but finding a replacement that is different in any meaningful way is another matter altogether

I get it Republicans don't like Obamacare. But how many times are they going to waste time trying to repeal it when they know that the Dems control the Senate and won't let it pass. Now your forcing a shutdown, and for what? This won't accomplish your goal. It's just going to hurt a lot of people. This Congress is the most inept in the history of the country. Even the "Do Nothing Congress" passed more legislation. Nothing has gotten because of the weekly hearings on Benghazi and the monthly vote to repeal Obamacare. That's literally all they've done!

Your right Haloti92, finding a different politician that "better" is easier said than done.

I am just so angry right now. I don't even know what I'm going to do when I go work. Almost all operations in Africa will stop. Things that we've been planning and preparing for for months...now all that is down the drain. Really important missions.

Forcing a shutdown because you can't have your way is not how our government should function. Thanks for destroying the "pursuit of happiness" of hundreds of thousands of government employees.

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Well, the Republicans aren't trying to repeal it (with this current standoff). They are trying to delay the parts of it that Obama has not already unilaterally (and unconstitutionally) delayed himself. They also are willing to fund the rest of the government and deal with funding Obamacare separately (a position supported by 63 percent of the people).

And it is more than "Republicans" that do not like Obamacare. More people dislike it than like it.

I am curious as to why you are absolving the Senate in the matter by stating simply "they won't let it pass." Why won't they let the delay pass when the alternative means a shutdown, especially considering the unpopularity of the law?

Blog Entries

dysfunction is the function of our government.

Theres so much misinformation on ACA its kind of hard to get a true gauge of how the people feel and that goes both ways. I liked John Stewart making fun of Ted Cruz for quoting green eggs and ham, "a book about a stubborn (guy) that says he hates something before he tries it and after trying it, he decides he likes it." Its all political BS in my opinion. Republicans dont want to support it to lose their base in case it doesnt work, and vice versa. ACA has its benefits and its downfalls, like most things in life, so im still taking a wait and see approach as most of what im hearing people complain about, simpy hasnt been true with my experiences so far. If they worked half as hard on coming together on a compromise as they have to either push it through or stop it all together itd be a lot better than where it is today. you know, how the government used to work. Guy has an idea, people embrace it, elect him, then both sides work together to actually make it functional. then again maybe that was just a dream i had.

“I think all of us should respect the outcome of elections, which reflects the will of the people.” - John McCain on ACA.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post

Theres so much misinformation on ACA its kind of hard to get a true gauge of how the people feel and that goes both ways. I liked John Stewart making fun of Ted Cruz for quoting green eggs and ham, "a book about a stubborn (guy) that says he hates something before he tries it and after trying it, he decides he likes it." Its all political BS in my opinion. ACA has its benefits and its downfalls, like most things in life. If they worked half as hard on coming together on a compromise as they have to either push it through or stop it all together itd be a lot better than where it is today. you know, how the government used to work. Guy has an idea, people embrace it, elect him, then both sides work together to actually make it functional. then again maybe that was just a dream i had.

“I think all of us should respect the outcome of elections, which reflects the will of the people.” - John McCain on ACA.
    Thank you JAB for saying this better than I could have.

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post

Theres so much misinformation on ACA its kind of hard to get a true gauge of how the people feel and that goes both ways. I liked John Stewart making fun of Ted Cruz for quoting green eggs and ham, "a book about a stubborn (guy) that says he hates something before he tries it and after trying it, he decides he likes it." Its all political BS in my opinion. Republicans dont want to support it to lose their base in case it doesnt work, and vice versa. ACA has its benefits and its downfalls, like most things in life, so im still taking a wait and see approach as most of what im hearing people complain about, simpy hasnt been true with my experiences so far. If they worked half as hard on coming together on a compromise as they have to either push it through or stop it all together itd be a lot better than where it is today. you know, how the government used to work. Guy has an idea, people embrace it, elect him, then both sides work together to actually make it functional. then again maybe that was just a dream i had.

In terms of information about the ACA... the more people find out about it, the more they dislike it. This is shown in the polls and in the fact that almost every promise and claim, from overall costs, to the effects on the deficit, to how many will be left without coverage, to people losing their current coverage, to people losing their spouse's coverage, to people losing their current doctor, to people having their hours reduced, etc., has been shown to be false. And the critics knew they were false at the time and said so.

As for McCain's quote. He ignores the fact that the people voted the Republicans into the House in an unprecedented and historical fashion precisely because of the way Democrats rammed an unpopular ACA through by hook and crook, using bribes, procedural tricks, budget gimmicks, and lies. And of course the House is not some rubber stamp of the White House, no matter how much you or Obama wants it to be so.

And no, 2012 was not a referendum on Obamacare, as much as you wish that to be so as well. It has polled poorly from the beginning, more people do not like it than like it, and this was the case in November 2012.

Real Clear Politics has 243 polls since its passing. 95 percent of them show people opposition to Obamacare. Only 4 percent show support (1 percent show tie). Two-thirds of the polls that show opposition do so by double digits or more. In the past 6 months, more than 75% of the pools show opposition, with the recent CNN poll showing 57 percent against and 38 percent for (19 percent margin is a blowout).

The problem with Obamacare is not just that it is terrible law, it is the manner in which it was passed. It is a massive entitlement program that concerns 15% of our economy, and was passed in a hackish partisan manner with no input from the opposition, and against the will of the people. No other piece of legislation this big was passed on such a party line vote.

And this doesn't even get into the way Democrats are acting now. These continuing resolutions are only required because Democrats haven't been bothered to pass a budget since they have been in power (too politically inconvenient to create a record of their profligate spending). And the ones being proposed by the House are not a repeal of Obamacare they are various forms of delay (to the individual mandate, the exchange funding, etc.). And Obama has already unilaterally and unconstitutionally delayed several aspects of the law for political convenience (employer mandate, the process of proving eligibility, etc.). So asking to delay the whole thing is perfectly reasonable. Perfectly.

Now again, our low information electorate combined with a sycophantic press make the way Democrats are acting tactically sensible, but it does not make it morally or logically justifiable.
    Last edited by Haloti92; 10-01-2013 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    Well, the Republicans aren't trying to repeal it (with this current standoff). They are trying to delay the parts of it that Obama has not already unilaterally (and unconstitutionally) delayed himself. They also are willing to fund the rest of the government and deal with funding Obamacare separately (a position supported by 63 percent of the people).

And it is more than "Republicans" that do not like Obamacare. More people dislike it than like it.

I am curious as to why you are absolving the Senate in the matter by stating simply "they won't let it pass." Why won't they let the delay pass when the alternative means a shutdown, especially considering the unpopularity of the law?
    Truth

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post

Don't misunderstand me. I hold the Senate equally responsible for this mess. This is one giant cluster...two sides holding two extreme view points, refusing to negotiate or compromise in the slightest.

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    Don't misunderstand me. I hold the Senate equally responsible for this mess. This is one giant cluster...two sides holding two extreme view points, refusing to negotiate or compromise in the slightest.
    Ok. I wasn't sure if that was your stance.

To me, Reid's Senate is by far the "more unwilling to compromise" side. They have been using procedural trickery to prevent votes on sensible compromise bills (to spare vulnerable Dems uncomfortable votes). They state categorically, and with arrogance, that they are not going to negotiate at all, that it is their way or nothing.

That said, I understand Reid's strategy (of being totally inflexible), because Republicans are far more likely to be blamed for any shutdown, regardless of the facts/circumstances, due to a low-information electorate, an unprecedentedly partisan media, and the general understanding that Republicans are the "anti-government" party.

One thing is for sure, things have gotten worse (more partisan), not better, over the years.

Obama signed a preemptive bill that funds the military should a shut down happen.

Shut down has occurred.

Dems and Republicans combined to bone everybody. Good job, 'tards.:grbac:
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock