Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Field Goal Attempt On 4th and 5 from the 7?

One call I thought was very interesting was the decision to attempt the FG with 4 minutes left in the game. I believe it was 4th and 5 from the Bills 7. The Ravens are down by 6 with maybe one more offensive possession after this. I thought they should have gone for it there.

1. The Bills had 200+ yards rushing by that point and it's conceivable they run the clock out.
    2. It just wasn't Joe's day. He already had 4 ints and he still would have had to drive the team yet again, assuming the D gets the ball back.
    3. They didn't need to put the ball in the endzone. A pass to the 2 yard line is a first down.
    4. Even if they don't make it, they pin the Bills way back. If the D forces 3 and out, they get the ball maybe at the 50 again.
    5. With no running game and an O-Line that wasn't getting the job done, I take make chances for 5 yards instead of 3 points and then having to make a stop, then drive another 40 yards or so for the tie.

Anyway, just my opinion. Thoughts?

Blog Entries

Re: Field Goal Attempt On 4th and 5 from the 7?

This was pointed out on the game thread. Basically, kicking a FG there is playing to get a tie. They should have gone for the win, thus going for the 4th down. If you don't make it, try and get the 3 and out with them deep in their territory, get the ball in midfield, and go for the TD again.

Another poster pointed out, correctly, that it was also time for a fake FG.

The problem is that all these coaches are scared to heck. They coach scared, even the good ones, as Harbaugh is. They will go "by the book" 99 out of a 100 times instead of going for the win.

Blog Entries

I didn't have a problem with it but what I did have a problem with was the end of the first half. Plenty of time and the full compliment of timeouts and they don't even try

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

I really thought they were going to call the fake.

Personally, I know it isn't always the smartest thing to do, but I don't like playing for a tie. I think going for it would have been the better choice here and basically told the team that they believe in Joe to make a play.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

I thought they should have gone for the TD. Don't you play for the win on the road, play for the tie at home? Isn't that the "book"? Or do I have it backwards? No matter, it was 4th and 5. They also could have gotten a first down. You put the ball in the hands of your QB and ask him to make a play. Don't play scared. Don't coach scared. Play to win. They didn't get where they did last year by playing scared...
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Blog Entries

Field Goal Attempt On 4th and 5 from the 7?

as poorly as Flacco and the offense were playing, we were lucky they didn't fuck up the chance at a FG like earlier in the game

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I didn't have a problem with it but what I did have a problem with was the end of the first half. Plenty of time and the full compliment of timeouts and they don't even try
    Actually I was totally fine with that. There's no reason for them to use the timeouts unless they convert that last 3rd down. No sense in calling timeout on 3rd down and then not converting leaving time for Buffalo.

Blog Entries

I could go either way. They did get to the 50 with 1:33 with two timeouts and Shit the bed. I can see going for it also, if you dont get it Buffalo has the Ball on thier 7. But if Ravens held could see Buffalo taking safety than punting from EZ with à guy who punted poorly. 6 point lead down to 4 Ravens still need TD.

It really comes down to coaches being conservative in general combined with the fact it is hard to put the odds we convert for a TD (considering how we were looking) at anything more than single digit percentage.

I thought that it was the right call. Even if we make the TD, there's something stopping the Bills from getting in FG range with all of the time left.

They needed a TD and a FG to win.

Since they didn't get the TD, you take the other half of the equation since they had plenty of time.

If they go for it and get nothing, the game ends right there.

The FG extends the game. Right call.

Blog Entries

It was the right call in my opinion. You can't give up on getting points that late into the quarter.