Defensive Notes 9/16/07

9/16/07 vs. NY Jets

There's an awful lot to talk about. Eerily similar game to last week, but we come out on the winning end this time on the should-have-been-caught-deflected-INT-on-what-should-have-been-the-game-tying-TD-in-the-final-90-seconds play.

First, by coverage type:
    Standard: 31/93, 3.0 YPPA, 0 sacks or TO
    Nickel: 17/139, 8.2, 0 sacks, 1 TO
    Dime: 20/72, 3.6, 4 sacks, 1 TO

By Player (Best and Worst)
    YPC
    Best: Ngata 14/29, 2.1
    Worst: Pryce 11/40 3.6

YPP
    Best: Pryce 10/34 3.4...Sapp 17/93 4.0
    Worst: Gregg 12/89 7.4...Ivy 32/198 6.2

YPPA
    Best: Bannan 17/58 3.4...Pryce 21/74 3.5...Sapp 20/72 3.6
    Worst: Ivy 37/211 5.7

I'll do the pass rush stuff tomorrow night.

Individual notes:
    • For context, the team gave up 2.6 YPC (27/69), 5.7 YPP (41/235), and 4.5 YPPA (68/304)
    • Antwan Barnes played his first 8 NFL snaps. I’ll break those down in a separate post. He was used both in coverage and as a pass rusher, primarily from LDE
    • All 4 Raven sacks in week 2 (as well as the only week 1 sack) came while in the dime (6 DB’s, although if you got this far in the post you certainly know that). The Ravens show a multitude of looks while in this formation, and it got Ivy, Sapp and Landry each an untouched run at the QB.
    • Suggs had a nice game with 2 hurries, 2 PD’s, and 4 tackles. He’s yet to get his first sack this year, but he’s contributing in other ways
    • Suggs, Johnson, Lewis, Scott, CMac, Rolle, Reed, and Landry played every down the entire game
    • The defense looked really lost without Trevor Pryce. While they did record consecutive sacks in the 3rd quarter, they went the last 22 drop backs with no sacks. The pass rush is very weak with Bannan or Edwards on the field.
    In one of the truly weird plays of the year, the Ravens had only 10 men on the field for Cotchery’s 44-yard catch and run with 5:59 to go in the 4th quarter. I’ve watched the video frame by frame at least 10-15 times trying to figure out what happened. There is a small corner of the field I can’t see, and I can definitely identify Gregg, Suggs, Johnson, Lewis, Scott, Ivy, Landry, CMac, Reed, and Rolle. There are 2 likely culprits. Antwan Barnes, who played the previous 3 plays as well as the following 2 was conspicuously absent. It could also have been Sapp, who would have been had the Ravens called a dime package (it was 1st down, but the Ravens played a lot of 1st-down dime in this game). Both Barnes and Sapp lined up near the line of Scrimmage on every other play they were in, so I can’t see that it’s likely Ryan called an extremely deep cover 2 with Sapp back. In any case, the play took forever as Ivy got his hand held most of the way down the field by Cotchery. If Sapp was on the field, he surely did not hustle to the ball. Take a look please and see if you can figure out what happened. I’d really like to know.
    • Ngata continued to be the feature DT, getting 45 snaps to Gregg’s 32 (those include accepted penalties). Ngata played very well early, as did all the Ravens, but he was on the field for the last 16 plays and looked tired. His overall stats were good (4.1 YPPA), but it’s very apparent the Ravens are thin at DT and could use another rotational contibutor.
    • I saw the other comments about Ivy’s coverage, and I want to review. I certainly hated his tackle on Cotchery.
    • I was bothered more, however, that our Safeties seemed out of position several times (including 3 possible TD grabs…2 McCareins drops plus the low throw to Coles)
    • JJ was again terrific recording 7 tackles, 1 QH, 1 FF. He also did a fine job distracting blockers on the sacks from the dime.

Re: Defensive Notes 9/16/07

No huddle is our weakest area on D - and other teams know it!

Filmstudy not sure whether you look at this but I'd be interested to hear your opinion on Ed Reed's form tackling of late. I was watching on a very very fuzzy and jumpy stream but it seemed to me that Reed's form tackling was very poor, and this seems to be a trend, trying to take the player's head off or go straight for the ball rather than wrapping man and ball. He was the man who I think fell off Cotchery on his long scamper in the 4th quarter and I noticed a couple of times that he was looking straight for the ball and consequently whiffed on the tackle. This is all well and good near the line when everyone's flying to the football but it worries me greatly when he's in a conventional safety spot and he's far more likely to give up a big play than make a big play of his own.

Rex Ryan said on WNST this morning that the situation with 10 men on the field was "a rookie mistake" and left it at that.

I think that answers that question.

Filmstudy I'm curious to know whether you agree that Ngata tipped that ball that ended up getting picked by Ray.

Thanks again for your analysis, I'm looking forward to your follow ups.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Festivus

I went back to review the Ngata play frame by frame. While a valiant effort, it appears Ngata missed by an inch or 2. The trajectory of the ball is clean and unchanged both before and after passing Ngata's outstretched arm.

52decleetzu

Thanks for the update on Ryan. It really made more sense that it was Barnes given the plays immediately surrounding this. I am curious to know...how did it come up in conversation with Ryan? Was he asked or did he offer it up without prodding?

UKravenstocker

While always a great hitter, Reed has never really been a good tackler. Most of the time, his tackles seem to be body slams or knee cuts in the backfield. If the ball carrier survives the initial contact, Reed then struggles like most smaller men in the NFL to make tackles. He had a shot on each of those long Cotchery catch and runs, but couldn't make either.

Thanks for the responses all.

Thanks for the work as always, Filmstudy. I am concerned that Pryce's absence will really hurt our D. Rex may have to gamble more to generate the type of pressure he likes to create.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave52
    Thanks for the work as always, Filmstudy. I am concerned that Pryce's absence will really hurt our D. Rex may have to gamble more to generate the type of pressure he likes to create.
    I am a bit worried about Pryce being out as well. He was a very important, if overlooked (by the media), contributor last year. Then again, Rex always seems to find ways to generate a pass rush, so maybe it won't be as bad as I fear.

I'm also relieved to find out that Pryce will apparently only miss three to five games. When I heard he had a fractured wrist, I was afraid he'd be out a lot longer than that.

Greenwave and highwater

I could not agree more on Pryce. All of our sacks this year have been the result of confusion generated. We've yet to mount a decent rush with 4 men. That's a real problem. Ngata gets good pressure when lined up off the LoS, and Suggs is getting good pressure, but Gregg, Bannan, and Edwards all generate very little push. The Ravens are still using JJ in a very hybridized role. He's been DE, OLB, and lined up over center in nickel and dime packages. If Barnes can't step up quickly to generate chaos, I would not be surprised to see JJ move back to playing a lot of DE.

The Pryce injury does hurt. But my hoping is, Barnes really show his puss rush speed on the third downs he plays. I like him alot. But Edwards is the key for early downs. I'm not sold on that yet, but what chose do i have.
    Maybe Bannan will play more on the line and i don't mind Jarret back on the line. He seem to always get to the QB. J.J can stop the run and pass rush.

Maybe Prude or Sapp or someone can play the coverage J.J played. Can one tell me, Is Prude Dressing for games.

Wow Filmstudy. I am more than impressed. That is excellent work.

I saw the other comments about Ivy’s coverage, and I want to review. I certainly hated his tackle on Cotchery.
    I'm not even sure I could classify that as a tackle. It was more like him running along Cotchery trying to just tug on his arm.

And the problem is that it then makes it difficult for me to believe that the reason Ivy "bounced" off Clemens was because he was afraid of getting flagged.

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    And the problem is that it then makes it difficult for me to believe that the reason Ivy "bounced" off Clemens was because he was afraid of getting flagged.
    That play right there really irritated me. Why didn't Ivy wrap him up and bring him down for a sack?

These "body slam tackles" really need to go away in favor of actually wrapping the guy up and bringing them down, the ol' fashioned way.
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello