Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Report: League Pushing Hard for 3/16 Schedule & Extra Playoff Week

Just reported on ESPN by Mort.

Like the dropping of the one exhibition game but expanding the playoffs is just dumb.

Adding the extra playoff week will mean more average teams getting in the tournament, watering it down to the point we will most likely see teams with .500 or losing records in the playoffs.

And I'm not sure the NFLPA is going to sign off on it unless it includes an extra bye week and / or extra cash.

Re: Report: League Pushing Hard for 3/16 Schedule & Extra Playoff Week

I say keep it at 16 games, but expand the season to 18 weeks, giving an extra bye week for each team (1 early, 1 late in the season). That way, the fans get an extra week of prime time football coverage without having the players play another game, and the extra bye gives some teams a chance to rest beat up players in time for the playoffs.

As for an extra playoff week, that just sucks. Too many mediocre teams make the playoffs as it is. I think they should rethink the way the schedules are made, giving good teams equally tough schedules the following year. No way should a team like New England or Denver have the #1 seed one year, and one of the easiest schedules the following year.

In probably going to catch a lot of hell for this but...
    Expanding the playoffs isn't a horrible idea. In my honest opinion a mediocre and average team made the playoffs last year and eventually won the Super Bowl.
    I don't think the Ravens were the best team in the league but I do however think they got hot at the right time.
    Basically I'm ok with mediocre and average making the playoffs.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

The playoff format is fine the way it is.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorebirds_24 View Post
    In probably going to catch a lot of hell for this but...
    Expanding the playoffs isn't a horrible idea. In my honest opinion a mediocre and average team made the playoffs last year and eventually won the Super Bowl.
    I don't think the Ravens were the best team in the league but I do however think they got hot at the right time.
    Basically I'm ok with mediocre and average making the playoffs.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Wouldn't be the worse scenario IMO either. Playoff football is as good as it gets, Ravens caught fire last year after having an OK year but not great, same as the Giants a couple years ago. If you can get into the dance and maybe get some players healthy at the same time, you have a shot.

I couldn't find much info on this but I did find the link below where Goodell is talking about getting rid of the four preseason games that fans and players dislike. He is not even close to "pushing hard" for an expanded playoff, just says they will discuss it.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...-player-safety

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

And thus is the end of the most balanced playoff format in pro sports

Quote Originally Posted by Beerracuda View Post
    I say keep it at 16 games, but expand the season to 18 weeks, giving an extra bye week for each team (1 early, 1 late in the season). That way, the fans get an extra week of prime time football coverage without having the players play another game, and the extra bye gives some teams a chance to rest beat up players in time for the playoffs.

As for an extra playoff week, that just sucks. Too many mediocre teams make the playoffs as it is. I think they should rethink the way the schedules are made, giving good teams equally tough schedules the following year. No way should a team like New England or Denver have the #1 seed one year, and one of the easiest schedules the following year.
    I like this idea. 2 extra week of games for increased revenue and no team actually plays more games. Only downside is most weeks will only have a handful of games.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Don't like it. The postseason is fine as it is. I can't imagine how they can add another week to it. It's already effectively five weeks (incl SB bye week) long as it is. Anything further and it just makes the regular season look like the 'special guest' local band warm-up before the gig for the band you actually want to see.

I suppose they'd then have to add a 7th seed - have a semi-wild card weekend where 6th plays 7th, then the normal playoffs as we see now starts (sort of how it used to be and how it is in MLB, but with an extra week on top). They could maybe add an 8th, but you'd probably then have to re-jig the playoffs around a lot. The system works fine as it is, as there's enough chance from 1st to 6th to win it. Doing it that way probably condemns 6th/7th seed and/or 8th seeds to just participants - 1st seed may only have to play 3 games to win a SB, whereas a 6th/7th has 5 games. Or on the other side, the top seeds go from having a bye week to having a holiday.

I suppose they could do some of round robin event, but it just gets longer and longer, doesn't it?

They can expand the playoffs should the NFL ever get bigger than 32. If it's like at 36 or even 40 teams, then I can see a potential reasoning behind expansion of the playoffs.

3/17 would be fine if they wish to change it. Add a 2nd bye week and then have a special week where either it indulges international series match-ups so every team gets their 8 games at home per year or it has some sort of special inter-conference game - like Ravens playing Redskins every year or something.

Anyone know how they plan to add an extra playoff week?

Like Tyrian says, there is no easy/sensible way to do that without affecting competitiveness.

You basically have to add a full game on the road to the SB for at least one current playoff seed. And/or add a full bye week for at least one current seed. And/or eliminate the advantage of being a division winner. Etc. Something substantial has to change to add an extra week.

I would interested in seeing the proposal.

Compared to the other schemes for adjusting the schedule, this is the least desirable choice for fans.

18/2 would have provided us an additional home game and cut the exhibition scam in half

17/2 or 17/3 may have added an additional away game at a neutral site and may have cut the exhibition scam in half, at least every other year

16/2 would have cut the exhibition scheme in half

All adding an extra playoff week accomplishes is watering down the already watered down playoffs, adding a few fans to those who already deal with bitter cold January home games.

In my opinion: this is just an opening negotiation ploy. Another shoe to fall after the NFLPA responds. I sure hope so!
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    The playoff format is fine the way it is.
    Agreed. This isn't NBA or NHL. Unless it increases team and revenue to raise the salary cap. But even still 8 teams is too many.

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    Anyone know how they plan to add an extra playoff week?

Like Tyrian says, there is no easy/sensible way to do that without affecting competitiveness.

You basically have to add a full game on the road to the SB for at least one current playoff seed. And/or add a full bye week for at least one current seed. And/or eliminate the advantage of being a division winner. Etc. Something substantial has to change to add an extra week.

I would interested in seeing the proposal.
    NFL on ESPN ‏@ESPNNFL 38m
    THIS JUST IN: The NFL is mulling the possibility of expanding to 14 playoff teams and cutting preseason to 3 games. (via @MortReport)

So, 'twould appear that the 7th seed idea described above is the thought. Just whispers, of course.