Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Ray's Grammar Intervention

Ray Lewis is a perfectionist with high standards, at least when it came to football. Given the embarrassing way he butchers syntax, is it possible he'd seek help in this area by seeking out a grammar coach? Or would it even help at this point in his life?

Re: Ray's Grammar Intervention

I can remember watching him recently on ESPN and he repeated a sentence to correct his grammar. That showed me he was cognizant of it and must be working on it.

I was skeptical of Ray's entrance into the sports analyst arena but I thought he's been doing quite well given his level of experience.

Blog Entries

woah boy... here it comes

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

To be fair, all of these ex-athletes stumble over their words or say things that are grammatically incorrect. I've heard Steve Young say things that made me shake my head. My issue is that Ray has apparently been slotted as the pimp for the defensive side in contrast to the takes that Dilfer and Young have. It's all very formulaic and so typical of ESPN. In other words, barely watchable. Doesn't matter who it is: Mark Schlereth, Brian Dawkins, Herm Edwards, etc. Blah, blah, blah, yada, yada, yada..... It's all Hot Air Central.

I think Ray's doing fine. In fact, he's better when he just speaks what's on his mind, without worrying about syntax. His problems come when he tries to sound polished. He's not polished, and he's better that way.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CA Raven View Post
    To be fair, all of these ex-athletes stumble over their words or say things that are grammatically incorrect. I've heard Steve Young say things that made me shake my head. My issue is that Ray has apparently been slotted as the pimp for the defensive side in contrast to the takes that Dilfer and Young have. It's all very formulaic and so typical of ESPN. In other words, barely watchable. Doesn't matter who it is: Mark Schlereth, Brian Dawkins, Herm Edwards, etc. Blah, blah, blah, yada, yada, yada..... It's all Hot Air Central.
    Quote Originally Posted by owknows View Post
    I think Ray's doing fine. In fact, he's better when he just speaks what's on his mind, without worrying about syntax. His problems come when he tries to sound polished. He's not polished, and he's better that way.
    :word x2

Blog Entries

Given his inexperience in the field and the common knowledge that Ray probably didn't ace his English papers, he is doing pretty well. Irvin has come a good way as well. Emmitt was worse than both of them combined. Irvin didn't necessarily do anything special, but slow down his pace so that he complete the sentence more efficiently.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by owknows View Post
    This raises an interesting question: Do football fans not mind if their gridiron heroes sound like dumb jocks? Not saying Ray necessarily sounds like a dumb jock, but he sure doesn't sound "educated" in the traditional sense. I picture lots of viewers cringing when Ray offers non sequiturs, double negatives and incoherent syntax. Is this an intelligence issue or an education issue?

Quote Originally Posted by CA Raven View Post
    . Doesn't matter who it is: Mark Schlereth, Brian Dawkins, Herm Edwards, etc. Blah, blah, blah, yada, yada, yada..... It's all Hot Air Central.
    I always thought Schlereth was quite good. Trent Dilfer also speaks quite well. I wince when he starts evaluating quarterback play, though, especially that of Flacco.

As I'm sure most here believe, Jaworski is a cut above every one else at ESPN. He's knowledgeable, level-headed, not willing to go against the grain, and overall quite articulate with his comments. The fact that he gets less prime airtime than someone like Keyshawn Johnson shows how far that network has fallen.

My thoughts are this. He is a good communicator and he is smart. Some of his grammar will probably need cleaned up a little bit for mainstream mass appeal and some of it is fine. To an extent, it IS his personality and part of what is appealing to a lot of the viewers. As long as his content and info is good I don't think it is that big of deal... It's his style.

Quote Originally Posted by KbubbaK View Post
    Ray Lewis is a perfectionist with high standards, at least when it came to football. Given the embarrassing way he butchers syntax, is it possible he'd seek help in this area by seeking out a grammar coach? Or would it even help at this point in his life?
    It's a terrible reflection on our learning institutions in this country. Having said that, Ray is no worse then some, and better then many.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis