Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 57
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,307
    Blog Entries
    4


    Quote Originally Posted by Toddyvegas View Post

    Also bear in mind that our university sports setup is very differrnt to the US. Representing your collage at sport involves getting Wednesday afternoon off lectures, playing in front of a crowd which consists off the substitutes, a couple of girlfriend s and a jolly good piss up afterwards..!!
    How the hell do you know this so well? Lmao, describes my Wednesday afternoons playing rugby perfectly. Although my club team can get quite a lot of support.

    Club sports is way bigger over here than our school/college sports.

    And no Sid, too busy with work, rugby, and uni, plus the team's don't really attract my attention this year haha.




  2. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    67

    Re: the NFL in London

    Quote Originally Posted by Toddyvegas View Post
    Also bear in mind that our university sports setup is very differrnt to the US. Representing your collage at sport involves getting Wednesday afternoon off lectures, playing in front of a crowd which consists off the substitutes, a couple of girlfriend s and a jolly good piss up afterwards..!!
    Haha spot on! The piss up at the end is always the highlight.

    Yeah it is worth mentioning that sports at university in the uk is a past time, and is usually played in the absence of a crowd.

    We go to university to study, not to play sports. If you want to be a professional footballer/rugby player you can do it without higher education




  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Severna Park
    Posts
    3,454
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: the NFL in London

    Speaking as someone who visits the U.K. at least once a year and most of my co-workers are in Edinburgh, the interest in American football is just that. A fanciful distraction. They love the accuracy in which the QB throws the ball (lucky they missed Tebow) but it is just that, the spectacle. They also think there are WAY too many penalties and the game stops too much. Rugby and 'soccer', hell even cricket mean more to them.

    The NFL is a novelty in London. Sort of what it will be when it moves back to L.A.




  4. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Nottingham, England
    Posts
    797

    Re: the NFL in London

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Speaking as someone who visits the U.K. at least once a year and most of my co-workers are in Edinburgh, the interest in American football is just that. A fanciful distraction. They love the accuracy in which the QB throws the ball (lucky they missed Tebow) but it is just that, the spectacle. They also think there are WAY too many penalties and the game stops too much. Rugby and 'soccer', hell even cricket mean more to them.

    The NFL is a novelty in London. Sort of what it will be when it moves back to L.A.
    You obviously haven't met any of the NFL fans over here as this is a ridiculous generalisation. Whilst no, it will never overtake the more established sports to the extent of sustaining a franchise, it's not merely a 'fanciful distraction' as you so disrespectfully put it and there is a dedicated support for the game and it is growing.
    I told everyone that if I went to Pittsburgh I would have to throw up on my jersey every time I played, - Double J will always be a Raven




  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Roland Park
    Posts
    2,803

    Re: the NFL in London

    I just don't get how it is even possible logistically.

    Right now Seattle has the worst situation for travel, and their division games are two hour flight to SF, a three hour flight to AZ, and five hours to STL. Six hours is their max.

    London charters to east coast cities are going to be at least eight hours, and it goes up from there. Are they just never going to play west coast teams, or are they going to cram their 360lb lineman asses into a plane seat for 14 hours, play a football game, and then turn around and head home? Really, what players sign on for that? It almost makes more sense to have a European division, with four teams. At least then they could play each other.
    "Leave. Your. Mark."




  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Middle River
    Posts
    4,022
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: the NFL in London

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblue View Post
    You obviously haven't met any of the NFL fans over here as this is a ridiculous generalisation. Whilst no, it will never overtake the more established sports to the extent of sustaining a franchise, it's not merely a 'fanciful distraction' as you so disrespectfully put it and there is a dedicated support for the game and it is growing.
    Thank you!

    I appreciate your and all the others insight into the lay of the land over there... we really don't have a real idea over here, except to know there is some interest because people like you post here... but beyond that
    Remember we have seen artifically filled stadiums here with the Baltimore Stallions (and Stars)... not to knock that, but we take Wembley crowds with a grain of salt unless people we trust (eliminating most media) tell us differently.
    To understand paranoid people better, follow them around.




  7. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales, Uk
    Posts
    20

    Re: the NFL in London

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Speaking as someone who visits the U.K. at least once a year and most of my co-workers are in Edinburgh, the interest in American football is just that. A fanciful distraction. They love the accuracy in which the QB throws the ball (lucky they missed Tebow) but it is just that, the spectacle. They also think there are WAY too many penalties and the game stops too much. Rugby and 'soccer', hell even cricket mean more to them.

    The NFL is a novelty in London. Sort of what it will be when it moves back to L.A.
    And cricket will always remain ingrained as our summer sport.. Its like baseball is to you guys as a nation. Football (sorry guys I can't stand the name soccer) and cricket along with rugby our our national sports.. Its the fourth sport that NFL can realistically vie for but it will never take over those three I am afraid.. However,the yk is a sports mad country and NFL is growing.. I work in an office of around 20 people and 3 discuss NFL.. So there is a percentage that are genuinely interested.. A UK team would bring more interest especially if it was anywhere near successful..




  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Severna Park
    Posts
    3,454
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: the NFL in London

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblue View Post
    You obviously haven't met any of the NFL fans over here as this is a ridiculous generalisation. Whilst no, it will never overtake the more established sports to the extent of sustaining a franchise, it's not merely a 'fanciful distraction' as you so disrespectfully put it and there is a dedicated support for the game and it is growing.
    There was nothing disrespectful about what I said. You may not like it, but I am repeating what I have been told numerous times while over there.

    I am sure there are RABID NFL fans there, but I don't think enough to warrant an NFL team.

    Ease up on the caffeine dude.




  9. #39
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,509
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblue View Post
    You obviously haven't met any of the NFL fans over here as this is a ridiculous generalisation. Whilst no, it will never overtake the more established sports to the extent of sustaining a franchise, it's not merely a 'fanciful distraction' as you so disrespectfully put it and there is a dedicated support for the game and it is growing.
    I've read CS's post a couple of times and I can't say I'm seeing the disrespect you're seeing.

    I don't think he meant it to be a slam. Rather, he's putting it in context with the other, more popular sports in the UK.

    Hockey, for a lot of people in the US, is that same fanciful distraction that gets folks by until baseball or football start up for the season. Right now, the NFL is that same niche sport in the UK.
    Last edited by HoustonRaven; 09-27-2013 at 08:16 PM.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  10. #40

    Re: the NFL in London

    Quote Originally Posted by Real Fan Dan View Post
    Is that because the Vikings overan England in the 10th century or because the NFL knows the Yinzers can't speak English?




  11. #41
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    16,039
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: the NFL in London

    Quote Originally Posted by Toddyvegas View Post
    And cricket will always remain ingrained as our summer sport.. Its like baseball is to you guys as a nation. Football (sorry guys I can't stand the name soccer) and cricket along with rugby our our national sports.. Its the fourth sport that NFL can realistically vie for but it will never take over those three I am afraid.. However,the yk is a sports mad country and NFL is growing.. I work in an office of around 20 people and 3 discuss NFL.. So there is a percentage that are genuinely interested.. A UK team would bring more interest especially if it was anywhere near successful..
    With that travel and time change they would have a very difficult time being successful. They have to play home and away in 4 game blocks to have any chance at all. Players wouldn't be happy with all that travel which would make recruiting free agents pretty difficult as well. Would the fans support a Browns or Jaguars type franchise?
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  12. #42

    Re: the NFL in London

    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The Steelers would never consent to being the home team. The Patriots have played in the game several times and always as the visiting team. Well run franchises don't give away home games.
    The ideas of a European team is as bad as an NFL team in Canada or Mexico. This whole concept stinks. Just another way to make the pie bigger so that the fat cats can pig out at the trough. It does nothing for the game.




  13. #43
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales, Uk
    Posts
    20

    Re: the NFL in London

    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    With that travel and time change they would have a very difficult time being successful. They have to play home and away in 4 game blocks to have any chance at all. Players wouldn't be happy with all that travel which would make recruiting free agents pretty difficult as well. Would the fans support a Browns or Jaguars type franchise?
    That's the interesting question, because although British fans are renowned for their loyalty and"through thick and through thin" attitude towards attendance, NFL is not a national sport for us.. There would need to be some success I would imagine for the team to cement themselves. And I agree, they would need to play away matches in bunches to save travelling fatigue.. What could be done to help attendences though, would be to rotate the home matches between England, Scotland and Wales.. 3 big national stadiums plus you could add old Trafford for northern England. Scotland's murryfield stadium is the smallest of those four at a capacity of around 67k I believe. But its a very good point about the viability of a struggling franchise year on year.
    Last edited by Toddyvegas; 09-28-2013 at 03:30 AM.




  14. #44
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Sparks, MD
    Posts
    627

    Re: the NFL in London

    Am here on London on business. Bunch of steelers fan in the Hilton park lane. So I on on my ravens jersey (just happened to have it in the luggage) and gave then grief. They are pretty miserable about their team this year but talking bravely. Vikings will win if only because they won't be jet lagged as they arrived Wednesday and the steelers came Friday (bad move)


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD




  15. #45
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    16,039
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: the NFL in London

    Quote Originally Posted by Toddyvegas View Post
    That's the interesting question, because although British fans are renowned for their loyalty and"through thick and through thin" attitude towards attendance, NFL is not a national sport for us.. There would need to be some success I would imagine for the team to cement themselves. And I agree, they would need to play away matches in bunches to save travelling fatigue.. What could be done to help attendences though, would be to rotate the home matches between England, Scotland and Wales.. 3 big national stadiums plus you could add old Trafford for northern England. Scotland's murryfield stadium is the smallest of those four at a capacity of around 67k I believe. But its a very good point about the viability of a struggling franchise year on year.
    Rotating home venues makes it even tougher to win. The Packers used to have to play some home games in Green Bay and some home games in Milwaukee. They had almost 20 years with just 1 winning season. Finally they were able to play all their home games in Green Bay which helped a lot. Home field means a lot in the NFL. I can't see a team having any sort of home field advantage if they don't have 1 home. They're almost better off establishing 2 teams if they need that kind of exposure.
    He Who Dares.....Wins




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland