Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Art Jones

Re: Art Jones

Great dicussions. With Oher being a FA and McKinnie a possibly casualty, how do you all think our OT situation will look like next year? Obviously OT will have high priority in the draft, but do you think there's a chance that we could have new faces at both LT and RT in 2014?

A guy I'm keeping an eye on as a possible RT we could sign to a 2-3 year is David Stewart from the Titans. He will still have one year left on his contract after this season, but I'm hearing some Titans fans believes he'll be cut. I think he has some health concerns, but if he can stay health he would probably be a pretty good stopgap.

With regards to LT, it's no secret that it would be nice to soon land that guy who can lock down the position for a decade. Hopefully we won't be in position to pick a guy like that in the draft for the foresseable future, so I think we have to look at how the 49'ers got Staley and the Texans got Brown: converted TEs that they took a flyer on. I think getting a guy like that in the first or second round is the way to go. Anyone has some prospect to keep an eye on?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CopRaven View Post
    Great dicussions. With Oher being a FA and McKinnie a possibly casualty, how do you all think our OT situation will look like next year? Obviously OT will have high priority in the draft, but do you think there's a chance that we could have new faces at both LT and RT in 2014?

A guy I'm keeping an eye on as a possible RT we could sign to a 2-3 year is David Stewart from the Titans. He will still have one year left on his contract after this season, but I'm hearing some Titans fans believes he'll be cut. I think he has some health concerns, but if he can stay health he would probably be a pretty good stopgap.

With regards to LT, it's no secret that it would be nice to soon land that guy who can lock down the position for a decade. Hopefully we won't be in position to pick a guy like that in the draft for the foresseable future, so I think we have to look at how the 49'ers got Staley and the Texans got Brown: converted TEs that they took a flyer on. I think getting a guy like that in the first or second round is the way to go. Anyone has some prospect to keep an eye on?
    Keep an eye on Ricky Wagner as a possible RT/LT candidate. He performed pretty well during the pre-season as a LT and he has been active and on the field every week thus far over guys like Jah Reid.

They like Wagner.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

I'll say it again - I believe this is Suggs last year as a Raven. Just too much money tied up in one player when they need to find relief somewhere.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Formerly Carpetbaggerville (IND) --now back in MD
    Blog Entries

Right now as much as I like Art I think he is more a luxury than a priority. That could change over the season's course but as it stands I am bracing myself that this will be his last year in purple. I just hope Oz alloccates that money wisely. (as we have come to expect all these years)
    They hate us..... but they want to BE us. (.... or at least poach all our players/coaches/FO people!) :respect

The Ravens have been able to draft serviceable defensive linemen in the middle rounds (McPhee, Art Jones, Aubrayo Franklin) or fill in with bargain FA's (Bannan, Goose, Kemo.) Sometimes with guys like Kruger and JJ, they move them to LB. But our defense is so multiple (e.g. Upshaw at NT) that they will let Art go and let someone else overpay him while we replace 80% of his production with a mid-round draft pick that costs 5% of his new contract.

And FWIW, DeAngelo Tyson is getting more reps with the injuries. He could be bigger in the rotation next year.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    They like Wagner.
    I like Ricky Wagner too--"The Ride of the Valkyries," the Pilgrims' Chorus from Tannhauser...

...oh. :p

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    I like Ricky Wagner too--"The Ride of the Valkyries," the Pilgrims' Chorus from Tannhauser...

Hahaha.

I can always count on you for an esoteric post.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post

That's awesome. I'm going to be pronouncing his name VOG-ner from here on out.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I'll say it again - I believe this is Suggs last year as a Raven. Just too much money tied up in one player when they need to find relief somewhere.
    I really hope you're wrong but it's very possible. Ozzie is going to offer Suggs something. It will be up to Suggs if he wants to take it and stay on the team or pass and end up somewhere else.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Hahaha.

I can always count on you for an esoteric post.
    I guess that's better than being a no-count....

Srsly, if Wagner ever becomes a starter, how cool would it be if in back of his intro they played a couple of bars of this:

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I seriously doubt with the way Suggs is playing, they'd cut him or let him walk in FA. I see an extention for him next year and he'll retire a Raven.

As for signings, I see an extention for Pitta & and possibly Oher (unless they like Wagner at RT, but the market has been soft on OT so Oher might be had for a reasonable contract) and they will attempt to re-sign D. Smith and Ihedigbo to 1 - 2 year deals. Art Jones walks. They have Kapron-Lewis that will take his spot next year.

Wasn't sure that I could land on a comfortable position about Art's fate until I stopped and realized (for the umpteenth time) that we are a hybrid defense. As such, just about anyone that's not All-Pro, or Supreme Locker Room Leader is easily replaceable...even in times of considerable cap, let alone where we'll be next spring.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver