Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Art Jones

Art Jones

If he keeps up his level of play is there anyway we can afford to keep him?

I feel like this is exactly the type of player that we need to keep on the team. Inside passrushers are just too valuable to let go of IMO.
    360 tag: Ahhhhhhhhnold

Re: Art Jones

I really like him, but I don't see any way we have the money after this season unless they start renegotiating contracts and mortgaging the future.

He is exactly the type of good developed player that we have to let go of unfortunately due to money...JJ, Justin Bannen, Dwan Edwards etc...

I think we took Lewis-Moore with the expectation of him entering the rotation after he recovers...I think many looked at him as a 4th or high 5th rounder before his injury.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

JJ, Bannan and Edwards weren't pressure players.
    Art was on fire in the playoffs and it seems like he is better this year. This is the first interior DL we have had who can be a double digit sack player every year.
    360 tag: Ahhhhhhhhnold

Quote Originally Posted by goldenelite28 View Post
    Art was on fire in the playoffs and it seems like he is better this year. This is the first interior DL we have had who can be a double digit sack player every year.
    As a side note, I believe the Lions released Justin Bannan yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenelite28 View Post
    Art Jones is not going to be a double digit sack guy every year.

He had one sack in the playoffs and it was a coverage sack against Kapernick.

Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

I know not many people will agree with this, but i think he is our best défensive lineman. They will do all they can to keep him. He was projected to be a late first rounder or 2nd rounder before an injury marred senior year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post

He has 2 sacks in 2 games.

You're right. The funny part is Art is a lot like Kruger in that he's pretty much a 2nd and 3rd down d-lineman that isn't much of a run stuffer; he's a one-dimensional guy.

Still, a very good player.

I don't keep the detailed salary numbers some do, but I know there are substantial increases next season in the cap numbers of Flacco, Rice, Webb, and Ngata. Those more than wipe out any savings from the expiring contracts of Oher and Jacoby Jones.

Given that we're already tight against the cap, I'd think a contract for Arthur Jones would have to be heavily back loaded. But obviously they'd have to have the cap space available down the road for that to be feasible.

I'm not sure what they plan on doing with Ngata and Suggs after their contracts expire, but keeping a player like Jones may essentially be a choice to not bring them back. Torrey Smith's contract is up after 14 as well. It's hard to project that far forward but those may be the players you're choosing between.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    He has 2 sacks in 2 games.
    Incredibly small sample size.

Yea there's no way we are able to afford him. Too many players cap numbers increasing.

Blog Entries

Incredibly small sample size.

2 sacks in 66 snaps... Yes small sample size but that is very effective.