Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hakeem Nicks

Blog Entries

Hakeem Nicks

I know there was a thread a few weeks ago about Nicks, but he seems like he wants nothing more to do with the Giants. Clearly, Cruz and Randle are their WRs for the future.

If the Giants were willing to part ways with him, I'd love to see Ozzie trade for Nicks and give him an extension here.

Nicks + Torrey + Marlon + Doss + Thompson + Mellette = a really nice receiving unit for the next few years. Also, Marlon, Thompson, Doss and Mellette will be relatively inexpensive, so they may be able to re-work some cap structure to get Torrey into an extension and give Nicks a fair deal.

Nicks won't be cheap, but he wouldn't kill the cap either.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Re: Hakeem Nicks

Nicks will hit the free agency market. The last thing Coughlin wants is to lose a good offensive player this year. His job might depend on i.

I wouldn't feel comfortable with Nicks without seeing him play the entire season healthy.
    His talent is outstanding. No doubt about that.

But if I was a fan of a trade, could we handle the $$$ that we'll have to lay out to Torrey, Pitta AND Nicks?
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

I don't think the money is there.

Torrey is going into his final season next year and will be looking for an extension soon.

Looking at the cap situation, I just don't see where they'll have money for any new moderate to large contract next year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

I have mix feelings about this. The guy has never played 16 games. I'm more excited about seeing the chemistry Joe could have with Pitta (when he returns), Torrey and Marlon Brown in the very near future rather than the possibility of acquiring someone of Hakeem Nick's caliber.

Blog Entries

Those injuries are why the Giants won't pay him. The Giants will handle Nicks exactly as they handled Osi

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post

Torrey is going into his final season next year and will be looking for an extension soon.

Looking at the cap situation, I just don't see where they'll have money for any new moderate to large contract next year.

Agreed. I'd rather alocate/take the cap savings from cutting certain players to keep this same defense together. By that I mean resigning Art Jones, James Ihedigbo, and Daryl Smith, and make sure Suggs can fit under the cap, or possibly extend his current contract.

What we need to do is invest a high round pick on a wide out. Infact, next years draft should be the opposite of this year's, we need to invest the first 3 picks on offensive players. We need an OT, a WR, and a TE more than anything.

Blog Entries

The trade deadline is moved back, if Giants keep losing could happen for cheap near the deadline.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Nicks will hit the free agency market. The last thing Coughlin wants is to lose a good offensive player this year. His job might depend on i.
    Randle is eating a lot of his snaps as it is and if he is going to be a potential cancer, it might serve Coughlin well to get rid of him now while he can. Additionally, the Giants are 0-3 with a lot of issues. This may be a good opportunity for Jerry Reese to get something for a guy they don't have in their future plans anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    I wouldn't feel comfortable with Nicks without seeing him play the entire season healthy.
    His talent is outstanding. No doubt about that.

But if I was a fan of a trade, could we handle the $$$ that we'll have to lay out to Torrey, Pitta AND Nicks?
    That I don't know. What I will say is that the Ravens are going to have to really address the cap this off-season and get creative. There may not even be enough to keep Pitta.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post

I don't think Nicks will command a lot of money because of his durability concerns.

However, I understand where you're coming from. The money probably just won't be there.

The cap situation is going to be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    I have mix feelings about this. The guy has never played 16 games. I'm more excited about seeing the chemistry Joe could have with Pitta (when he returns), Torrey and Marlon Brown in the very near future rather than the possibility of acquiring someone of Hakeem Nick's caliber.
    I too would like to see the chemistry between Marlon and Joe grow. It seems like it is, but when Nicks is healthy (which is the issue IMO) he is one of the top receivers in the league.

Blog Entries

Might be wiser to find a Center near the deadline if running game doesnt improve.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Agreed. I'd rather alocate/take the cap savings from cutting certain players to keep this same defense together. By that I mean resigning Art Jones, James Ihedigbo, and Daryl Smith, and make sure Suggs can fit under the cap, or possibly extend his current contract.

What we need to do is invest a high round pick on a wide out. Infact, next years draft should be the opposite of this year's, we need to invest the first 3 picks on offensive players. We need an OT, a WR, and a TE more than anything.
    I would hope so.

The past couple of years I thought the Ravens would gun for a receiver, but they really haven't.

There are some good receivers and tackles in next year's draft. Outside of 2 or 3 tight ends, there are a lot of average players.

I'd love to see the Ravens move up and try and target a top flight player.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tolucaraven View Post
    Might be wiser to find a Center near the deadline if running game doesnt improve.
    The running game issues are not because of Gino.

They are because the team has used a man-to-man blocking scheme for a few years now and this off-season they switched to a zone blocking scheme.

The zone blocking scheme requires players block to a specific area of the field and requires cohesiveness and recognition. The fact is that the line just hasn't gotten to that point yet where they are all on the same page.