Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Run defenses the Ravens have faced

Since we are all worried about the YPA the Ravens run game is achieving, I thought it would be good to look at the YPA allowed by the 3 defenses they've faced.

CAVEAT: I recognize that with only 3 games played, these defensive performances against OUR run game will significantly bias the numbers.

However, I was pretty happy to see the numbers anyway.

Denver is #1 in the NFL, allowing only 2.3 YPA
    Cleveland is #2 in the NFL allowing only 2.8 YPA
    Houston is #5 in the NFL allowing only 3.3 YPA

What this tells me is that even though the Ravens helped boost the ratings of those defensive numbers, the defenses must be pretty good to hold all three of their opponents to such low rush averages. So I'm not writing off the Ravens running game as broken quite yet.

Buffalo is #23 in the NFL allowing 4.3 YPA. I'm betting that we see significantly more success rushing on Sunday. If we don't, then I'll start worrying.

Blog Entries

Re: Run defenses the Ravens have faced

This is what I've been saying and I thought Buff was actually #30. I guess it depends on what you measure in terms of run D

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...1&d-447263-n=1

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

I posted these numbers earlier in a thread today. The front 7's we have faced thus far are very solid. I expect to see our running game breakout Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    I posted these numbers earlier in a thread today. The front 7's we have faced thus far are very solid. I expect to see our running game breakout Sunday.
    Oh, ok. I looked around for an existing thread to post this on, but didn't see one that looked like a fit. The o-line thread is off the front page so I figured it was cold.

Buffalo's run defense is pretty abysmal. If Rice is healthy enough to play, I expect both he and Pierce to be effective.

If Marlon Brown and Deonte T can not play, we may HAVE to run well. It's just a shame that our reserve O linemen are so poor.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatorman82 View Post
    Oh, ok. I looked around for an existing thread to post this on, but didn't see one that looked like a fit. The o-line thread is off the front page so I figured it was cold.
    I also posted on this in another thread, but I'm glad you started a new thread on it since it didn't gain any traction amongst the panic. Nice job putting the numbers together. It's hard for me to believe that the entire offensive line collectively and concurrently got bad. After this game and we'll have a better idea.

So is our run game actually not that bad and we've just faced really good run defenses? OR, did our horrible run game make those defenses look better than really are and skew there numbers since it's only been 3 games? Guess we find out which is true this Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by YorkRavensFan View Post
    So is our run game actually not that bad and we've just faced really good run defenses? OR, did our horrible run game make those defenses look better than really are and skew there numbers since it's only been 3 games? Guess we find out which is true this Sunday.
    Our YPA is 2.6. So we did BETTER against Denver than their other opponents did. We did roughly the same against the Browns as their other opponents, but Adrian Petersen was one of their other opponents. We helped Houston's average. But we were only 1/3 of their stats, so the other two teams couldn't have done too well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gatorman82 View Post
    Our YPA is 2.6. So we did BETTER against Denver than their other opponents did. We did roughly the same against the Browns as their other opponents, but Adrian Petersen was one of their other opponents. We helped Houston's average. But we were only 1/3 of their stats, so the other two teams couldn't have done too well.
    It's worth noting that Cleveland held Peterson to 86 yards and 3.44 ypc.

Blog Entries

watching Bills/Jets, the Bills did a nice job in the first half and seemed to stay in their base D most of the time. It was the 2nd half when some big runs broke through. Also they play man to man on the backend and gave up some huge plays down the sidelines, Flacco is the best at those.

Bills played mostly four man front in the first and stacked the box in the second but ironically it worked against them

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Question: is this zone blocking scheme something new that Castillo brought in this year or did we run it last year too?