Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Results 61 to 69 of 69
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,586
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Joe Flacco "Almost There" (not quite top 10)



    Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    I understand what you are saying. I can't speak for other posters obviously, but I actually think national anaylsts, ESPN, etc has been pretty kind to the Ravens. In fact, I think the Ravens got more love than the 49ers last year during the Super Bowl week. That's not to say the 49ers didn't get any love, I just remember watching all the Super Bowl shows thinking it's all about Baltimore.

    So with that said I can't put myself in the "Everyone hates Baltimore" category, which is why I don't see my original post as thin skin. I put the line in there about the article being about 3 games so that you guys would know that I read the article and didn't just cherry pick a line about Flacco.

    I disagree with the article and how the author goes about deterinming who he thinks is the best through 3 weeks. He's ranking the QBs through 3 weeks based on QB index. I get that. I disagree with the premise on ranking and how he arrived there. I gave my reason why due to the intangibles. For example, a three and out depending on where it is in the game and why it occured is something that should be in the equation, but is not and never will be. Hence his flawed concept of ranking the starters.

    Is it possible you're so used to some people playing the "Ravens disrespect" card that you dismiss threads like this?
    Well said ERey!

    You guys crack me up man.




  2. #62
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    28,155
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Joe Flacco "Almost There" (not quite top 10)

    Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    I understand what you are saying. I can't speak for other posters obviously, but I actually think national anaylsts, ESPN, etc has been pretty kind to the Ravens. In fact, I think the Ravens got more love than the 49ers last year during the Super Bowl week. That's not to say the 49ers didn't get any love, I just remember watching all the Super Bowl shows thinking it's all about Baltimore.

    So with that said I can't put myself in the "Everyone hates Baltimore" category, which is why I don't see my original post as thin skin. I put the line in there about the article being about 3 games so that you guys would know that I read the article and didn't just cherry pick a line about Flacco.

    I disagree with the article and how the author goes about deterinming who he thinks is the best through 3 weeks. He's ranking the QBs through 3 weeks based on QB index. I get that. I disagree with the premise on ranking and how he arrived there. I gave my reason why due to the intangibles. For example, a three and out depending on where it is in the game and why it occured is something that should be in the equation, but is not and never will be. Hence his flawed concept of ranking the starters.

    Is it possible you're so used to some people playing the "Ravens disrespect" card that you dismiss threads like this?
    Sure it is possible.

    It's all in the hips...err...how you word it!

    The problem with QB rankings is that it is either purely based on metrics, which doesn't always tell the whole story as you've pointed out; or it is based on a subjective opinion...which again, doesn't always tell the whole story.

    Personally, I think anyone trying to rank any player after three games doesnt know what the fuck they're talking about. The only way you can rank anyone after three weeks is purely based on stats, but again...that isn't a full-proof argument.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  3. #63
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,586
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Joe Flacco "Almost There" (not quite top 10)

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Sure it is possible.

    It's all in the hips...err...how you word it!

    The problem with QB rankings is that it is either purely based on metrics, which doesn't always tell the whole story as you've pointed out; or it is based on a subjective opinion...which again, doesn't always tell the whole story.

    Personally, I think anyone trying to rank any player after three games doesnt know what the fuck they're talking about. The only way you can rank anyone after three weeks is purely based on stats, but again...that isn't a full-proof argument.
    That's essentially what I am saying. I just decided to take the "author is full of shit" route and provide my own ranking.

    Oh and, well said wicked.




  4. #64
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    28,155
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Joe Flacco "Almost There" (not quite top 10)

    Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    That's essentially what I am saying. I just decided to take the "author is full of shit" route and provide my own ranking.

    Oh and, well said wicked.
    That works too man.

    You can't put a numerical value on all of the tough, drive-continuing throws that Flacco has made this season so far. You also can't put a numerical value on how badly the passing attack is missing Jacoby and Pitta. It is also difficult to put a numerical value on what happens to the passing game when the running game stinks like it does right now.

    I'll take a QB who completes 60% of his passes for under 200 yards any day of the week as long as the team wins. I guarantee you that Flacco doesn't care if he throws for 400 yards or 150 yards. A win is a win and that is the only thing guaranteeing a trip to the playoffs and a shot at the SB.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  5. #65
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,586
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Joe Flacco "Almost There" (not quite top 10)

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    That works too man.

    You can't put a numerical value on all of the tough, drive-continuing throws that Flacco has made this season so far. You also can't put a numerical value on how badly the passing attack is missing Jacoby and Pitta. It is also difficult to put a numerical value on what happens to the passing game when the running game stinks like it does right now.

    I'll take a QB who completes 60% of his passes for under 200 yards any day of the week as long as the team wins. I guarantee you that Flacco doesn't care if he throws for 400 yards or 150 yards. A win is a win and that is the only thing guaranteeing a trip to the playoffs and a shot at the SB.
    Exactly! I should have just sent you the link to the article and had you type this up. Much better said than how I said it.

    I'll never be accused of great writing (just ask my wife, she'll tell you) lol




  6. #66
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southern PA
    Posts
    4,966
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Joe Flacco "Almost There" (not quite top 10)

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    No, and that's the larger point.

    Joe gets praise. Lots of it. But when one talking head in the media points out a statistical truth from this season, underwear gets sucked up into butts from the outrage.

    Thus, "the media" disrespects Joe meme is again wrongly perpetrated.
    And when the likes of Skip Bayless calls him "Fluke-o" and holds him to a different standard than most QB's? For every Jaws there's 5-6 pundits that bag on Flacco. Thats a fact and I honestly could give two shits what they say for the record because the ONLY thing that matters is wins and Joe wins!




  7. #67
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,236
    Blog Entries
    4
    Frankly I'm not sure if this guy is qualified to watch film and rank a group of NFL players, he's a journalist on the NFLN, it's funny how guys like Greg Cosell or Jaws rank Flacco higher than these beat writers do.

    I think Flacco should be in the top 5 if you look at what he's had to work with through the last 3 week's. Without him we're 1-2 at best. Hes been absolutely clutch so far.




  8. #68
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    23,277

    Re: Joe Flacco "Almost There" (not quite top 10)

    Quote Originally Posted by 4G63 View Post
    And when the likes of Skip Bayless calls him "Fluke-o" and holds him to a different standard than most QB's? For every Jaws there's 5-6 pundits that bag on Flacco. Thats a fact and I honestly could give two shits what they say for the record because the ONLY thing that matters is wins and Joe wins!
    No, your 1/5 - 1/6 ratio is not a fact. It's hyperbole (IMHO) and opinion.

    And you caring what a douche like Bayless says kind of proves my point.

    You don't debate absurdity, and you certainly shouldn't opine for validation from a professional troll like Skip Bayless.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  9. #69

    Re: Joe Flacco "Almost There" (not quite top 10)

    It would take a lot of work to break down every pass play by every QB in the league. And if you did that what are the attributes of each play and how much weight do you apply to those? Then according to him he uses advanced metrics which means nothing to me without knowing the source of the data is, how it was collected and what calculations are used to extrapulate the metrics. Any method used is going to have bias, there's no way around it with the variables each QB faces. At the end of the day it's just fuzzy science at best. It's easy to dismiss any list as nothing more than an opinion, much like a power ranking. Take it with a grain of salt.

    People defending Joe point to intangibles, not measurables. This drives the stats people crazy. Even after the SB victory I sense some dissatisfaction with certain fans over a lack of measurables by Joe and the offense. Static numbers are the basis of the ever popular fantasy world and is often used in arguments about a players value. I'm not sure some people wouldn't be happier with a QB who throws for 5,000 yards over a Super Bowl.

    At the end of the day winning is the thing that matters.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland