Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Re: Joe Flacco "Almost There" (not quite top 10)

Geez guys....he admits it's a statistical ranking...and he further admits regarding Flacco:

Flacco has played better on Game Rewind than the metrics show.
    Flacco's numbers are not great because in 2 of the 3 games (CLE and HOU) he's gone up against some pretty tough defenses, so he was careful with the ball and, when the Ravens got the lead in the latter part of the game, they took the air out of the ball.

In the third game he had Rick Wagner as his RT for most of the game, a defense that could pin its ears back, and a bunch of receivers dropping balls all over the field.

I have no problem with the ranking and I have no problem with the way Flacco has played so far.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    Geez guys....he admits it's a statistical ranking...and he further admits regarding Flacco:

Flacco's numbers are not great because in 2 of the 3 games (CLE and HOU) he's gone up against some pretty tough defenses, so he was careful with the ball and, when the Ravens got the lead in the latter part of the game, they took the air out of the ball.

In the third game he had Rick Wagner as his RT for most of the game, a defense that could pin its ears back, and a bunch of receivers dropping balls all over the field.

I have no problem with the ranking and I have no problem with the way Flacco has played so far.
    But that doesn't fit the emotional meme that the media disrespects Flacco.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    A meme that is true.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    A meme that is true.
    Jaws says hello

Blog Entries

Jaws says hello
    Jaws is the entire media?

Well, this writer has done a real good job of identifying exactly how he is ranking the QBs and clarifying that ranking with how they actually play during games...so I don't understand some folks' problem with this particular ranking.

In general though, I think there is a bias towards the fantasy/mobile QB. And Flacco is just not a great fantasy QB and he is a pocket passer, so I do think "the media" devalues him to some extent because of a combination of (a) just looking at the fantasy stats (ie, "Schaub is better than Flacco because Flacco has never throw for 4K yards") and (b), especially pre-Caldwell, many of Joe's worst games were on national TV, and (c) the new fad towards mobile QBs.

So I wouldn't call it "disrespect", rather a different way of valuing the QB position based on a somewhat limited perspective. They are looking for numbers and "flash". Joe is rather boring at times, which is why he wins more than he loses.

So while I agree that Ravens fans sometimes over-react to these types of rankings, I do not think the the basic premise of the reaction (not respecting Flacco) is flawed.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Jaws is the entire media?
    No, and that's the larger point.

Joe gets praise. Lots of it. But when one talking head in the media points out a statistical truth from this season, underwear gets sucked up into butts from the outrage.

Thus, "the media" disrespects Joe meme is again wrongly perpetrated.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    Well, this writer has done a real good job of identifying exactly how he is ranking the QBs and clarifying that ranking with how they actually play during games...so I don't understand some folks' problem with this particular ranking.

In general though, I think there is a bias towards the fantasy/mobile QB. And Flacco is just not a great fantasy QB and he is a pocket passer, so I do think "the media" devalues him to some extent because of a combination of (a) just looking at the fantasy stats (ie, "Schaub is better than Flacco because Flacco has never throw for 4K yards") and (b), especially pre-Caldwell, many of Joe's worst games were on national TV, and (c) the new fad towards mobile QBs.

So I wouldn't call it "disrespect", rather a different way of valuing the QB position based on a somewhat limited perspective. They are looking for numbers and "flash". Joe is rather boring at times, which is why he wins more than he loses.

So while I agree that Ravens fans sometimes over-react to these types of rankings, I do not think the the basic premise of the reaction (not respecting Flacco) is flawed.
    That's fair.

But there's still plenty of praise heaped on Joe. Enough to at least change the narrative to "some in the media still disrespect Joe".

That's fair.

But there's still plenty of praise heaped on Joe. Enough to at least change the narrative to "some in the media still disrespect Joe".
    Oh I agree...it's kinda of hard to make the "Flacco is average at best" argument while staring at 11 TDs / 0 INTs and big damn ring.

And those in the media that are not caught up in the fantasy football world of player rankings, and/or those (like Jawarski and Cossell) that do in fact take the time to watch all of Flacco's games do give Joe major props.

And in general I think Flacco has earned "the media's" respect. While they still don't rank him that high based on "the numbers", you never, ever hear them say "team x just needs to stop Ray Rice and make Flacco beat you." You used to hear that all the time 2 years ago...now? Never.

I haven't had a chance to read this whole thread but I see the prototypical comments are out in full swing. People need to read the damn article. The author is ranking QBs based on his film review of the first 3 weeks. He looked into some advanced stats to see how his scouting squared up, but he's not relying on statistics, he's relying on watching the game film and drawing conclusions.

I see absolutely ZERO problem with his conclusions and I have no idea how anyone can accuse him of bias. Kaepernick, the media's darling boy over the last calendar year, has been dogshit the past few games after shredding an awful Packers' defense, and the author correctly ranks him at the bottom and trending down. Same goes for Tom Brady who looks like he's useless without supremely talented receivers to catch his 2 yard passes and get YAC to make him look good.

Flacco has NOT played better than any of the guys in front of him on the list. He's played well, especially on 3rd down, and he's certainly been hurt by drops, bad OL play, etc., but the bottom line is he's not off to a very fast start. I think he'll get better, but anybody who's outraged by these rankings need to take off their purple glasses and detach the IV drip of purple Kool Aid.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I haven't had a chance to read this whole thread but I see the prototypical comments are out in full swing. People need to read the damn article. The author is ranking QBs based on his film review of the first 3 weeks. He looked into some advanced stats to see how his scouting squared up, but he's not relying on statistics, he's relying on watching the game film and drawing conclusions.

I see absolutely ZERO problem with his conclusions and I have no idea how anyone can accuse him of bias. Kaepernick, the media's darling boy over the last calendar year, has been dogshit the past few games after shredding an awful Packers' defense, and the author correctly ranks him at the bottom and trending down. Same goes for Tom Brady who looks like he's useless without supremely talented receivers to catch his 2 yard passes and get YAC to make him look good.

Flacco has NOT played better than any of the guys in front of him on the list. He's played well, especially on 3rd down, and he's certainly been hurt by drops, bad OL play, etc., but the bottom line is he's not off to a very fast start. I think he'll get better, but anybody who's outraged by these rankings need to take off their purple glasses and detach the IV drip of purple Kool Aid.
    :word

Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    it's all about the stats. I'd rather have boring wins
    :word We just need to stop getting worked up about articles like this. It's all about stats and playing fantasy football. I'd rather have a boring team that wins, rather than a team with gaudy offensive stats that always falls short.