Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Re: Mike Preston: Ray Lewis needs to stop being so self-serving

Seems to me this is more a gift than a damaging thing. We spent an entire offseason dealing with questions like "Now that Ray is gone, the Ravens are leaderless. Who will step up blah blah blah.." Ray thinks he sees a lack of leadership in the clubhouse so he is challenging them to assert themselves. Maybe Rays' perception is wrong and there is a quieter, less self centered leadership in the clubhouse, but in any event Ray is saying I am not your leader anymore -- whoever is replacing me as leader needs to step up and assert themselves. It was phrased as criticism but is actually a challenge and one that needs to be answered post Lewis and Reed Ravens. There has to be some split with the past and this is the opportunity to do it and Ray has served it up -- intentionally or not -- on a platter. The current players can't say "Well Ray doesn't know anything and is full of shit" without incurring the wrath of the fans and Ray's supporters on the team. They have to take the bull by the horns and actually lead. This is a great opportunity to split with the past and usher in a new era with a new generation of Raven leaders.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Observable results. Cmac certainly didn't benefit from him. There are other example too. It's a myth that Ray could fix troubled players.
    I think it's a bit of the ladder. I think Ray was a leader on the field and a lead by example off the field. I think it's myth that anybody can be a leader to grown men off the field (At lease someone on equal level, a coach or a GM/Owner that sings your check could have a different impact). Which is why his comments strike me as self-serving, he didn't do it and it can't be done.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    No clue. But he was and he's paid to answer those questions now. And I am glad he's not like Hoge who still licks the taint of his former team.
    Like others have said, if it were about the Ravens play on the field - whatever. If I'm Suggs or Ngata or others guys he' played with, I'd be pissed! But he did answer a loaded question, I wish he realized he's being used for tabloid time stuff when those questions come at him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by walkingpneumonia View Post
    Seems to me this is more a gift than a damaging thing. We spent an entire offseason dealing with questions like "Now that Ray is gone, the Ravens are leaderless. Who will step up blah blah blah.." Ray thinks he sees a lack of leadership in the clubhouse so he is challenging them to assert themselves. Maybe Rays' perception is wrong and there is a quieter, less self centered leadership in the clubhouse, but in any event Ray is saying I am not your leader anymore -- whoever is replacing me as leader needs to step up and assert themselves. It was phrased as criticism but is actually a challenge and one that needs to be answered post Lewis and Reed Ravens. There has to be some split with the past and this is the opportunity to do it and Ray has served it up -- intentionally or not -- on a platter. The current players can't say "Well Ray doesn't know anything and is full of shit" without incurring the wrath of the fans and Ray's supporters on the team. They have to take the bull by the horns and actually lead. This is a great opportunity to split with the past and usher in a new era with a new generation of Raven leaders.
    I thought about this too. I hope that's why Ray said it, but I'm not sure Ray is that crafty.

Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    I agree with Preston 100%. I love Ray, but his ego is a little out of whack. I noticed it a bit in his commentary on the "America's Game" show: "I told MY team...", "I'm the general", etc.
    Yeah, those quotes bugged me, too. I loved him as a player, but I'm not that sad to see him go.

Wow There is no pleasing this board sometimes. It's Ray Lewis, you ingrates. I mean I hate to say this (and the HATE is strong) but I agree with Houston. I know he's a contrarian on purpose but seriously.....what did Ray Lewis do to you people that you would just spurn him for saying the same exact stuff he's always said?! He's ALWAYS pointed to leadership when stuff like this happens. He's ALWAYS put a fine point on why other teams may have been in the mix more than ours and he always credited the leadership (and himself). Listen to yourselves: you're AGREEING with Mike Preston. That alone should be like a cold shower in Alaska for you guys. Sheesh.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rlh445 View Post
    Wow There is no pleasing this board sometimes. It's Ray Lewis, you ingrates. I mean I hate to say this (and the HATE is strong) but I agree with Houston. I know he's a contrarian on purpose but seriously.....what did Ray Lewis do to you people that you would just spurn him for saying the same exact stuff he's always said?! He's ALWAYS pointed to leadership when stuff like this happens. He's ALWAYS put a fine point on why other teams may have been in the mix more than ours and he always credited the leadership (and himself). Listen to yourselves: you're AGREEING with Mike Preston. That alone should be like a cold shower in Alaska for you guys. Sheesh.
    So explain Jamal Lewis getting arrested under the leadership of ray Lewis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Well, I must admit that I don't like agreeing with Preston. And I will defend Ray 'til my last breath about him being a good man (as opposed to being a murderer like so many hater still love to say). I will also make an argument for him being the GOAT. I will never get tired of seeing replays of the great things he did on the field.

But as Ray approached the end of his career and was constantly referred to as "future hall of famer" and "face of the Ravens", I think it it affected him. Mind you, compared to many of the egomaniacs in the NFL, he was still pretty tame. But I don't think it's right for a player to call the team "my team" or refer to himself as "The General". I consider the team John Harbaugh's team, and no player should challenge that perception. I think Ray's ego started shining a little too brightly when he was in front of the camera.

I don't spurn him. I just thought his self-image became a little too big. To the point that it was not good for the team. I'm glad to see the leadership pass on to Joe, Sizzle, Ngata, and other guys who love the limelight a lot less.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    So explain Jamal Lewis getting arrested under the leadership of ray Lewis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    So now Ray's responsible for things that happened before players join the team?

Jamal did what he did the summer before stepping foot in Owings Mills.

Agreed

BTW, I'll admit every time when I'm being contrarian.

This instance ain't one of those times.

So you're saying Preston is wrong 100% of the time?

So, how would what has happened be different if Ray and Ed - and their leadership abilities - were still on the team?
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    So, how would what has happened be different if Ray and Ed - and their leadership abilities - were still on the team?
    Ray's logic isn't very sound. He essentially says "If no Leadership -> Incidents " and the contrapostive of that is
    "If No incidents -> Leadership."

Well there were plenty of incidents and issues while he was on the team. By his logic, even when he was on the team, there was a lack of leadership. So the subtraction of he and Ed shouldn't have had any effect, because by his logic there was no leadership when they were on the team anyway.