Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
Results 136 to 150 of 157
  1. #136
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Land of Verdite
    Posts
    13,346
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Mike Preston: Ray Lewis needs to stop being so self-serving



    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    With the exception of Bam Morris and Ralph Staten, the biggest turd we've had on this team was Chris McAlister....who was here during the entire time the Ray Lewis "leader" legend was being created.

    Who can forget the time Chris was finally suspended by Billick out in San Diego because he blew off curfew to travel and party back in his neck of the woods on Southern Cali? That right there was worse than anything Jacoby or McKinnie has ever done....where was Ray then?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Later, there was the time Chris once again blew off curfew, during Harbaugh's first season as HC, and honestly, showed up hungover for the Indianapolis game. Harrison smoked him. Part of it was his knee, but you could just see it in his eyes. McNair had that same look in his eyes when they lost to Indy following the 06' regular season.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"




  2. #137
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Perry Hall
    Posts
    2,888

    Re: Mike Preston: Ray Lewis needs to stop being so self-serving

    Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    McNair had that same look in his eyes when they lost to Indy following the 06' regular season.
    Are you saying McNair was drunk or hungover during that game? That's the first time I've ever heard that. He had a horrible game, sure, but that's kind of a messed up accusation unless you have something to back it up.




  3. #138
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Land of Verdite
    Posts
    13,346
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Mike Preston: Ray Lewis needs to stop being so self-serving

    Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    Are you saying McNair was drunk or hungover during that game? That's the first time I've ever heard that. He had a horrible game, sure, but that's kind of a messed up accusation unless you have something to back it up.
    It's been a strong rumor for years.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"




  4. #139
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Perry Hall
    Posts
    2,888

    Re: Mike Preston: Ray Lewis needs to stop being so self-serving

    Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    It's been a strong rumor for years.
    I wonder if that rumor was started by the same folks who said Art Jones was out because he had an STD or hemorrhoids.




  5. #140
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    section 132
    Posts
    2,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Mike Preston: Ray Lewis needs to stop being so self-serving

    Quote Originally Posted by walkingpneumonia View Post
    Seems to me this is more a gift than a damaging thing. We spent an entire offseason dealing with questions like "Now that Ray is gone, the Ravens are leaderless. Who will step up blah blah blah.." Ray thinks he sees a lack of leadership in the clubhouse so he is challenging them to assert themselves. Maybe Rays' perception is wrong and there is a quieter, less self centered leadership in the clubhouse, but in any event Ray is saying I am not your leader anymore -- whoever is replacing me as leader needs to step up and assert themselves. It was phrased as criticism but is actually a challenge and one that needs to be answered post Lewis and Reed Ravens. There has to be some split with the past and this is the opportunity to do it and Ray has served it up -- intentionally or not -- on a platter. The current players can't say "Well Ray doesn't know anything and is full of shit" without incurring the wrath of the fans and Ray's supporters on the team. They have to take the bull by the horns and actually lead. This is a great opportunity to split with the past and usher in a new era with a new generation of Raven leaders.

    I like your spin on this incident.

    I don't see the big deal. Ray was asked a question and he answered it. Its his job now. Its not like he spent the prior week formulating some deep profound response to an obviously loaded question from Wingo.

    Most of this thread has more to do with our fan base's inclination to hate former Ravens once they have left Baltimore, IMO. I've never understood that.




  6. #141
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Perry Hall
    Posts
    2,888

    Re: Mike Preston: Ray Lewis needs to stop being so self-serving

    Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    I like your spin on this incident.

    I don't see the big deal. Ray was asked a question and he answered it. Its his job now. Its not like he spent the prior week formulating some deep profound response to an obviously loaded question from Wingo.

    Most of this thread has more to do with our fan base's inclination to hate former Ravens once they have left Baltimore, IMO. I've never understood that.
    Who is saying they hate Ray Lewis now just because he is retired?

    To me, this is TWICE now that he's gone on ESPN and said the Ravens have no leadership, and last time he specifically mentioned him and Ed Reed not being there anymore. That seems very self-serving and I don't know how you can really argue otherwise. I love Ray and always will, but the man has quite the ego on him.




  7. #142
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Land of Verdite
    Posts
    13,346
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Mike Preston: Ray Lewis needs to stop being so self-serving

    Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    I wonder if that rumor was started by the same folks who said Art Jones was out because he had an STD or hemorrhoids.
    In all seriousness, this one was legit. Word got out that McNair showed up hungover for the game, which played a major role in his performance. You could then see him on the sideline with that look on his face.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"




  8. #143
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Roland Park
    Posts
    2,802

    Re: Mike Preston: Ray Lewis needs to stop being so self-serving

    It makes you realize commentating is not as easy as it seems. We all same dumb shit all the time. Mostly my wife and my cat are the only ones who know it. But when you get in a profession that a) tries to lead you into saying dumb shit, and b) tries to spin whatever you say in the most controversial way possible, and c) broadcasts it to millions of people, the only real choice you have left is to be as boring as possible. (I believe the correct adjective is belichickian.)

    But Ray will never ever choose to be boring.
    "Leave. Your. Mark."




  9. #144
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    baltimore
    Posts
    3,225

    Re: Mike Preston: Ray Lewis needs to stop being so self-serving

    Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    In all seriousness, this one was legit. Word got out that McNair showed up hungover for the game, which played a major role in his performance. You could then see him on the sideline with that look on his face.
    Impossible! We had Ray and Reed you know leaders

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2




  10. #145
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Balmer Merlin Hon
    Posts
    3,673
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Mike Preston: Ray Lewis needs to stop being so self-serving

    Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    (I believe the correct adjective is belichickian.)
    I'd go for darthhoodian but some might miss the reference...




  11. #146

    Re: Mike Preston: Ray Lewis needs to stop being so self-serving

    Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    In all seriousness, this one was legit. Word got out that McNair showed up hungover for the game, which played a major role in his performance. You could then see him on the sideline with that look on his face.
    No offense but it's not like you can ask him. He could just have been sick, had a tough night's sleep etc. I am not saying he wasn't hungover but since he is the only one who confirm or deny and ... Ray thinks the Ravens need another leader like Ray. He doesn't seem to realize that he was one of a kind and cannot be replaced with another Ray. No need for the sky to be falling or anything else that seems to happen here on a weekly basis.




  12. #147
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Toluca Lake, CA
    Posts
    1,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Mike Preston: Ray Lewis needs to stop being so self-serving

    Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    In all seriousness, this one was legit. Word got out that McNair showed up hungover for the game, which played a major role in his performance. You could then see him on the sideline with that look on his face.
    I heard he was ill from a Raven later after that game, but he didnt mention hangover.




  13. #148

    Re: Mike Preston: Ray Lewis needs to stop being so self-serving

    Quote Originally Posted by Real Fan Dan View Post
    I wasn't actually there of course, so i can't say for sure if Ray or anybody else really made a concerted effort to talk to CMAC and help him out, but my understanding is that a number of players and coaches (to include Ray) did. I remember hearing Ray and others saying that Chris was a "bit different" and indicating that he was somewhat of a loner. I got the impression that the players did in fact try to connect with him, and if all these folks (including Ray) had not tried to help him, he would have been alot worse than he was.
    Of course he did.

    Never said that he or anybody else didn't try and talk to him.

    It goes more to my point that these guys are their own men...when it comes to off field stuff, there isn't much you can do unless you are going to convince single, famous millionaires to never go out of the house and enjoy themselves.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.




  14. #149
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    17,949
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Mike Preston: Ray Lewis needs to stop being so self-serving

    Now Trevor Pryce and even Jaworski are chiming in with their opinions. Talk about overblown (IMO)
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  15. #150

    Re: Mike Preston: Ray Lewis needs to stop being so self-serving

    Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    Most of this thread has more to do with our fan base's inclination to hate former Ravens once they have left Baltimore, IMO. I've never understood that.
    I have been very critical of Ray's "analysis" of this incident over this past week. More on that below. But to your second point first...

    I couldn't disagree with you more. I like Ray. I like Reed. I like Jarrett Johnson. I like McGahee and hope he helps the Browns beat the Bengals this weekend. I guess I don't fit your "inclination" and I would suspect the vast majority of Raven fans are the same.

    I don't see the big deal. Ray was asked a question and he answered it. Its his job now. Its not like he spent the prior week formulating some deep profound response to an obviously loaded question from Wingo.
    Ray's job now is to be an analyst...that means he is supposed to find out the facts of a certain situation, or the facts are given to him, and he is supposed to tell us what they mean in his informed opinion.

    In this case, clearly, he had nothing in the way of facts to buttress his wild speculations on a "lack of leaders" in the Ravens locker room. Moreover, as has been repeatedly pointed out, he was holding the Ravens locker room leaders to a far higher standard than what was in place when he was a leader, or for any leader in any NFL locker room for that matter.

    At best it was slovenly analysis...at worst, it was a deliberate attempt to drum up a story where there was none.

    In terms of the Ravens, your are right, it is not a big deal. They've already moved on, and save for some probably hilarious locker room humor in the months to come, this incident is closed.

    As for Ray, I hope he does better next time, because I do think he's very smart and articulate and could bring some thoughtful insight to that job. If not, then he will just be one of far too many "analysts" that are just getting paid for much of the same analysis that is done on these message boards. And as soon as his "newness" wears off, he'll be gone from TV.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland