Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
  1. Re: Boller is ready to lead

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack View Post
    To add to the post above, it should be noted McNair's best statistic isn't his touchdowns or QB rating, it's his winning. People say winning is a team stat, but so are touchdowns and interceptions, which are influenced by a number of factors including pass protection and the decision-making of the intended receivers. There is no pure stat to measure individual performance for any NFL player, but if the player is a major role player on a 13-3 team, that's noteworthy and he deserves credit for it. Especially if he engineers clutch victories in the final seconds, wins on the road and against playoff-caliber opponents, as McNair has.
    McNair has done well but don't kid yourselves. The biggest difference last season was better receivers and much improved O-line play. McNair was effective mainly because of that. It's big reason why Kyle was more effective. During Boller's early years he never really had an O- line that excelled at pass blocking. This year the line has taken a small step backwards with Ogden being out and the loss of some players due to free agency. I think these guys are going to be as good as last year if not better over time. The main thing is to understand is that McNair didn't singlehandedly make the offense better it was better line play and better receivers that allowed McNair to make the plays he did last season. Having said that The Ravens have two starter quality QB's (When both are healthy). It's a luxury we won't have more than one more season.

Re: Boller is ready to lead

People tend to forget that this offense is not the same offense on many levels than when Boller was drafted.

Let's be real and serious here, is it any real wonder why both McNair and Boller are playing well in this offense? Let's review:

Receivers in the past: Travis Taylor (who BTW was released again by another team), Clarance Moore, Frank Sanders, and Kevin Johnson

Receivers now: Derrick Mason, Mark Clayton, Demetrius Williams.

OL in the past: Jo, Mulatalo, Flynn, Vincent/Can't remember, Zeus (great on the run, sucked ass at pass protection)

OL Now: JO/Terry, Chester, Flynn, Grubbs, Yonda (good on run, solid on pass)

Seriously, I'm one of the few not suprised that Boller has played better when there are actually talented people at other skill positions to do things like oh.........not get him sacked every third play, or..............not drop the ball when it hits them in the numbers, or...........a running back that can catch the ball (remember, Willis McGahee's first ever NFL catching touchdown came from Boller)?

I've said all along that's been the real weakness. And now you're seeing improved play at QB from Boller, and of course the ability of McNair to go 20-27 and such. We're finally getting to the point where we're not saying "we could put any QB back there and they'd fail". We just might have the offense in total to play as a team.

It's an absolute LUXURY to have two starting QB's to rely on, now with better people around them.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

People tend to forget that this offense is not the same offense on many levels than when Boller was drafted.

. . .

Receivers in the past: Travis Taylor (who BTW was released again by another team), Clarance Moore, Frank Sanders, and Kevin Johnson
    I keep imploring people to just look at his development since Mason got here, that is his first quality front line WR. Since then he has come along nicely.

Is it possible we could witness "the closer" methodology in the NFL?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I keep imploring people to just look at his development since Mason got here, that is his first quality front line WR. Since then he has come along nicely.

I remember doing some statistical gathering on that with very "predictable" results. Since Mason's arrival, Boller has compared favorably with Eli Manning as an average starter.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeinGlennDale View Post
    Is it possible we could witness "the closer" methodology in the NFL?
    I'm in favor!!

McNair jumps out to a fast start (except settling for FG's), this philosphy might keep McNair healthier for a longer career providing he still performs at a quality level. We just need to "close" on defense!!:hammer:

Over the course of two years Kyle has looked good.

Things have a way of changing with humans. Steve McNair is starting to look awful. True, he has a groin injury. The cure for that is time off. In the meantime, why not let Kyle Man play? We could not be doing any worse with him than we did with Steve in the Brown's game.

C'mon mr. Billick. Lets make something happen. The lowly Browns made us look like shit today.

:usa:

I'm sorry but enough is enough. I am not knocking McNair's talent, or his competitiveness; but damnit he just can't be a consistent effective QB anymore. He just can't! If you can't throw downfield, the defense isn't going to take long to keep you from scoring or picking you off.

And I think most of it is his inability to stay healthy. Billick, after talking about how he was going to protect McNair's groin and wouldn't hesitate to pull him if needbe did exactly the opposite today, and left him in after seeing him hobble around and throw horrible passes.

It is time to quit throwing a half-broken Steve McNair on the field and hoping his groin doesn't pop through his fucking jock strap.

Its time to put Boller back in and see if he's got it now. We are NOT going 13-3 again like this.

Troy Smith should be the backup...with Kyle starting. Steve needs to be out buying paperback books to read to his grandchildren.

This is not a post inspired by hatred of McNair. Steve is (was) a great competitor, and he gave us one good season, but the turk of Life has come knocking. No one can lock that turk out.
    ENFORCE THE 1ST AMENDMENT WITH THE SECOND, NEVER DISARM

McNair looked like he needed a nap.

PP

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    McNair looked like he needed a nap.

PP
    And a cane.

This is the type of stuff that happens when you forget your geritol dose in the morning.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!