Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Question about the Torrey Smith catch/challenge

They got the call right. As much as I wanted it to be a catch... it was obviously not a catch. As far as PI.... Never crossed my mind, so I guess I didn't see anything that was obvious PI.

Being at the game there was absolutely no view that they replayed that showed that it was not a catch. We were all flabbergasted at the reversal because of the need for convincing evidence. Obviously the replays the Ref has are better than what we were seeing in the stadium and I guess those of you who watched at home got a better view.
    I root for the Steelers; I root for their plane to go down.

I'd rather be dead than pessimistic.

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

Sooo...

I'm guessing from the responses here that Smith DIDN'T control the ball??? Ok, I'll confess, Woodlawn, you are correct about the tinted shades I wear! ;) I still think Smith made a great effort in holding onto the ball, and he's showing me stuff this season that makes me feel like the Ravens have more than just a keeper in him at WR. Hopefully they can get Jones back and have him have a good season while guys like Brown evolve. Perhaps even Doss finds his way into a regular slot on offense, although IMHO he's making a pretty good case for a role with his kick returns.

And thanks to youse guys who clarified the "face guarding" issue.

Go PANTHERS! ;)

Quote Originally Posted by WxKevin View Post
    Being at the game there was absolutely no view that they replayed that showed that it was not a catch. We were all flabbergasted at the reversal because of the need for convincing evidence. Obviously the replays the Ref has are better than what we were seeing in the stadium and I guess those of you who watched at home got a better view.
    Also to Beau.... :)

From what I remember from watching the game at home, there were two "quality" views to this play. One view was from behind the play that didn't show Smith bobbling the ball as he rolled through (Probably what they showed on the big screen). The second "sideline" view showed the DB's hand grazing the ball and jarring it lose after Smith's initial grasp of the ball (probably didn't show on the big screen). This was what caused Torrey to NOT have complete control of the ball as his body crossed out of bounds.

Quote Originally Posted by WxKevin View Post
    Actually, we at the stadium see exactly what the ref sees when he is under the hood. They started doing that last year. Before and after he is under the hood is stadium controlled but when he is watching, we see what he sees.

Small ball movements are hard on the video board, though. Easier to see at home.

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

Furry-
    Yeah, I think I recall seeing those replays. One thought I had at the time was, did Smith have the ball long enough to be called a catch before he kinda fell and rolled before his foot/knee touched OOB and also while the ball bobbled a bit? I confess that I did have doubts as to whether he controlled the ball, but after watching the replays a bunch (during the broadcast), I just felt that I wasn't certain that there was compelling evidence to overturn the on-field decision, the collective wisdom and opinion of this board, the officiating crew and the guys in the replay booth notwithstanding! ;)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
    Actually, we at the stadium see exactly what the ref sees when he is under the hood. They started doing that last year.
    And that is a HUGE problem IMHO. I think after watching the whole debacle of the officials trying to place the ball on the correct yard line after that play makes it obvious that the NFL replay system is a joke. NCAA doesn't do much right, but they do replay right.

IMO opinion replay needs to be handled upstairs by devoted replay officials on a monitor/system devoted to replay and using every camera angle available. (hell it could be done at a central NFL office (like the NHL). These officials should be able to look at any and all plays (95% of that can be done without a single interruption to the game). There should be a "Head" replay official in constant voice contact via headset with the "Head" on field official. The whole throwing the red flag is not a system about getting the call right, it's turning officiating into gamesmanship to create controversy and intrigue. It Bull Shit. Ok, back to your regularly scheduled topic. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by RedSkins Fury View Post
    And that is a HUGE problem IMHO. I think after watching the whole debacle of the officials trying to place the ball on the correct yard line after that play makes it obvious that the NFL replay system is a joke. NCAA doesn't do much right, but they do replay right.

IMO opinion replay needs to be handled upstairs by devoted replay officials on a monitor/system devoted to replay and using every camera angle available. (hell it could be done at a central NFL office (like the NHL). These officials should be able to look at any and all plays (95% of that can be done without a single interruption to the game). There should be a "Head" replay official in constant voice contact via headset with the "Head" on field official. The whole throwing the red flag is not a system about getting the call right, it's turning officiating into gamesmanship to create controversy and intrigue. It Bull Shit. Ok, back to your regularly scheduled topic. ;)
    Agreed. It's ridiculous that in live time from my iPhone I can know exactly what the down, distance and yard line was on the previous snap but they have to take 5-10 minutes to discuss and watch in the replay hood? Get the fuck out.

Agreed the league should mirror the NHL and their replay system.

Last time it was brought up though, us that supported such a move got flamed a bit.

Nice pass, good effort by Torrey and almost a catch in bounds. They usually get these right, but it does seem strange to have the offical sticking their head under a hood like they're at a peep show. Right after that the ball was mis-spotted and they went under the hood again. The amount of time that went by was ridiculous, it was like a second halftime.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Agreed the league should mirror the NHL and their replay system.

Last time it was brought up though, us that supported such a move got flamed a bit.
    Sometimes it takes losing a game after a crucial cal didn't go your way.

Interesting how that works isn't it? lol
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

I don't think the video evidence was enough to overturn it, because from that front view where you can see the ball clearly, the ball then gets obscured for a second before his foot touches out of bounds. So you can see the ball initially moving after the db hits it, but there is a moment where you cannot see what exactly was going on before his foot hit. So based on that, I don't see how the call on the field should have been overturned. It may very well have been moving, but maybe it wasn't, and maybe the ref on the field had a better view. I think they blew that one, purple shades or not.