Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Blog Entries

Re: Do we retire numbers?

I see them going the route of the Redskins where they have one number that is "officially" retired, for them Sammy Baugh, for us is Lewis, and then other numbers through the years that are "unofficially" retired, for them guys like Riggo, Monk, Huff, and for us would be Reed and Ogden at this point.

There is no reason to worry about not having enough numbers. The Bears have 13 retired numbers. Giants 11. Eagles 9. They seem to work their numbering out just fine. Running out of numbers due to retiring or suspending use of numbers is not something that this franchise has to worry about for many years.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Not sure, but I can all but guarantee you that no one will ever wear 75, 20 and 52 again.

Also, notice that no one has ever worn 19?
    They never retired McCreary's and Goose's numbers. I was furious when they gave Mike's
    #99 to Kruger and DeCosta told Mike they were giving it to him because Kruger reminds
    them of him. ILMAO.

They recently gave Goose's number to Brandon Williams. Heap's number
    isn't retired either. All those numbers should be retired because they won a lot of games
    for this team.

Speaking of #19, I still get pissed when we play Indy and see Tom Matte's old number still
    in use, same with Mike Curtis, Bobby Boyd and Bubba's. I just can't watch.

Guess you gotta be a Ray, Reed or Ogden to get your number retired.

I also agree that Ray is Baltimore football just like Johnny U is the face of Baltimore's history. Both 52 and 19 should never be worn on the field again IMO. Certain players are people that cannot be duplicated, and for that they should have that number retired. I also think that 75 and 20 fall along that same category. It's only 4 out of the 99 that teams can use so, it's not like it should be difficult to get players to wear other numbers. If we were to retire the 4 officially like the Bears have done, (90-100 years) that's a slightly almost a quarter of what they retired, and we've been around for 17 years. That's impressive when I thought that. If the Ravens were to say retire some old Colts numbers like #70, I don't think people would have to much of a problem with that but, then it's been worn alot over our 17 years and noone has really been vocal against it.

I also didn't like Kruger getting 99. Of course I got over it along with 98 being used but, it just didn't seem ok. time heals most stuff but, I defiantely would have a beef if someone else were to wear 52 here. I'm also like some of the other posters here who see 52 on them and SMH "Heh...no way"

Blog Entries

Speaking of the famous #19, it should have been #16, the # Unitas
    wore in college but when he came to the Colts as an unknown QB
    the equipment manager flipped him #19 in the locker room. He
    could have asked for #16 because it was available but didn't, just took
    the #19 and made it the most famous number in football. Manning wanted it in Indy
    even though it was retired so he elected #18 to get as close as he
    could to it. He requested when he arrived in Denver and still wears it.

BTW, Unitas almost lost his #16 in college when Louisville de-emphasized
    sports and stopped some scholarships. John kept his by enrolling in a class
    for square dancing. True! LOL

A lot of teams don't always retired numbers. John's old #16 is
    the only # ever retired at Louisville. Otto Graham, the famous
    QB of the Browns wore #60 but changed it to #14. His old #60 is still
    worn while #14 is retired.

Jim Otto wore 00 which is now banned but the NFL instituted the
    current numbering system in 1973 and it has seldom been changed.
    Reggie Bush requested his #5 from college but was declined. Paul HOrning
    the famous RB wore #5 for Packers back in the 60s and there was a big
    push for GB to put it on the stadium's wall as recently as 2010.

http://www.jsonline.com/packerinsider/99326524.html

As more teams went to the 3-4 they ran out of #s for linebackers.

Only one University of Louisville football number has been retired. No. 16 will never be worn again by a Louisville Cardinal because it belongs to Johnny Unitas. As a matter of fact, Unitas did not even wear 16 after he left U of L. The quarterback wore 19 for his entire professional career.

A history of the NFL numbering system from WIKI.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform...ican_football)
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 09-21-2013 at 10:07 AM.