Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Marlon Brown

Re: Marlon Brown

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Ah-ha! I knew Skip Bayless had an account on here!
    Haha, didn't mean it as negatively as it sounded, but the first thing Flacco said in his post superbowl celebration to Biscotti was get our your pay cheque.

Also you just look at a guy like Brady who takes less so that they aren't in cap issues. Just annoys me I guess
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

2. Re: Marlon Brown

Quote Originally Posted by runrayrun27 View Post
    Also you just look at a guy like Brady who takes less so that they aren't in cap issues. Just annoys me I guess
    I vaguely remember the Brady move. Pretty sure he did a typical veteran restructuring: lower his cap hit now, guarantee more money in the future. Not quite as selfless as you may have first thought, and I would expect something similar to happen to Joe in 2-3 years when his contract bloats out of control.

Quote Originally Posted by organizedchaos21 View Post
    I vaguely remember the Brady move. Pretty sure he did a typical veteran restructuring: lower his cap hit now, guarantee more money in the future. Not quite as selfless as you may have first thought, and I would expect something similar to happen to Joe in 2-3 years when his contract bloats out of control.
    I agree, this conversation should be deferred until Joe's cap hit balloons. Right now it's not a factor.

Blog Entries

Haha, didn't mean it as negatively as it sounded, but the first thing Flacco said in his post superbowl celebration to Biscotti was get our your pay cheque.

1. After putting up with all the crap that he put up with, only to reach Joe Montana levels of postseason success, I can't blame him. He's just being honest. Did Ray Lewis ever take a hometown discount? Has Ed Reed EVER been shy about expressing his feelings of being paid like the top Safety he was? Terrell Suggs went to arbitration to make sure he got every penny he could since he lined up at DE so much.

2. Tom Brady didn't take a pay cut, he relocated the funds in his contract to be received another year, while also gaining the status of 'guaranteed' to the vast majority of that money. Actually, in fact, the remaining three years of his contract are fully guaranteed. New England won't be able to avoid it.
    Last edited by The Excellector; 09-23-2013 at 12:57 PM.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    1. After putting up with all the crap that he put up with, only to reach Joe Montana levels of postseason success, I can't blame him. He's just being honest. Did Ray Lewis ever take a hometown discount? Has Ed Reed EVER been shy about expressing his feelings of being paid like the top Safety is was? Terrell Suggs went to arbitration to make sure he got every penny he could since he lined up at DE so much.

2. Tom Brady didn't take a pay cut, he relocated the funds in his contract to be received another year, while also gaining the status of 'guaranteed' to the vast majority of that money. Actually, in fact, the remaining three years of his contract are fully guaranteed. New England won't be able to avoid it.
    1. The guys mentioned here are: the best MLB to every play in the NFL, the best ball hawking FS to ever play in the NFL and one of the best pass rushers to play in the NFL. I love Flacco and I fully realize this team had no other option then to pay him (and I would have been against NOT paying him because I like him and he's a solid QB). However, he is, at best, a top 10 QB in the league now. So to compare him to those 3 is silly.

2. Bradys salary cap charges:
    2013: $13.8 million
    2014: $14.8 million
    2015: $13 million
    2016: $14 million
    2017: $15 million

So umm, what are you talking about with Brady?

I'm not trying to shit on Flacco, it just sucks that we're in cap hell so I'm finding a scapegoat. But your arguments were pretty weak at best. Either way I'm over it lol
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

1. The guys mentioned here are: the best MLB to every play in the NFL, the best ball hawking FS to ever play in the NFL and one of the best pass rushers to play in the NFL. I love Flacco and I fully realize this team had no other option then to pay him (and I would have been against NOT paying him because I like him and he's a solid QB). However, he is, at best, a top 10 QB in the league now. So to compare him to those 3 is silly.

I'm not trying to shit on Flacco, it just sucks that we're in cap hell so I'm finding a scapegoat. But your arguments were pretty weak at best. Either way I'm over it lol
    I think you need to have a 1 on 1 chat with B-More Ravor about Flacco's deal and how it is structured. Expensive? Absolutely. However, the killer years don't happen until year 4 IIRC when his cap hit jumps into the 20's. It is highly, highly, highly unlikely that the deal even gets to that point without being restructured.

Cap hell happens when you have a lot of good players.

If you want to look to blame someone, then blame the contracts of guys like Ngata and Suggs; both of which are super expensive.

There will be some deal restructuring this off-season, but their cap issues aren't because of Flacco's contract.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

And why was that? Because at the beginning of the season Flacco wanted to be paid as one of the best QBs in the game, the Ravens offered him less than that, & he said, OK, I'll stake the size of my new contract on proving that I deserve the higher number. And he did. And he did.

FTR, when was the last time you knew a key & highly-valued employee who was happy to take significantly less money to do a job that s/he could only do at a highly-valuable level for a few years because s/he was soooooo happy with the place s/he worked & the people s/he worked with? (Although that isn't even equivalent, since the hassle & expense of moving a family takes a lot bigger bite out of $100K than $100M, thus tilting things on the side of sticking around...)

Also you just look at a guy like Brady who takes less so that they aren't in cap issues.
    Who has already made a shit-ton of money, has a supermodel wife raking in even more, & is on the downside of his career (& thus has a vested interest in surrounding himself with coworkers who are less likely to get him killed as his own skills diminish). Joe is just hitting his prime--this was his shot at the big payday. Which he proved he richly ;) deserved.

Just annoys me I guess
    Just as it annoys all owners when a valued & key employee demands to be paid what s/he's proved himself to be worth instead of the smaller salary they hope they can get away with.

(The one thing that IMHO raises fan/fantasy "owners" above the utter rapacity of the current job market is that they would want to spend the savings on other employees rather than stuffing the cash into their own pockets. [Not that it necessarily makes them any less profit-driven than the actual owners--it's just that they take their "profits" via vicarious sharing in wins & championships rather than cash.] The real owners are not immune to the desire to "take the money & run"--cf. Mike Brown in years past--which BTW is why the NFLPA insisted on a team-salary floor.)

Quote Originally Posted by organizedchaos21 View Post
    I would agree. We have to see how the imminent (well...as imminent as two seasons from now can be) restructure talks go.

About Brady though, I don't recall (nor can find) what his 2nd contract was, but in 2010, he got the richest "per year" contract. Every elite guy at his position gets one or gets damn close, and now that Joe has his out of the way (although, not yet close to being fully paid out to him, of course), I think the 2016(?) version will be dialed down some.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

And what does Marlon Brown care about QB contracts anyway? :bag:
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    And what does Marlon Brown care about QB contracts anyway? :bag:
    :insane:

Blog Entries

If you want a scapegoat look at Haloti Ngata who gets paid 13 million a year and has done nothing the last two years. He is looking better this year though, finally.

And Flacco at his best is a top 1-2 quarterback. It's between him and Rodgers when he plays at his best.

Brady and Manning usually have QBRs of like 85 in playoff games. Flacco usually is 100+.

fwiw, Marlon had two catches, one for four yards and one for two. But he did a great job as decoy so other receivers could make plays. right?
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)