Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Ravens RB weights

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Every now and then, you get a smaller back like Chris Johnson that can hold up for a good 3-4 years. However, Johnson was really the exception and not the rule. You'll find more instances of the Jahvid Best' of the NFL, guys that just can't stay healthy.

Ray Rice has hardly missed any games, if he even has, since his rookie season.

Willis McGahee rarely missed time.

Benard Pierce is 2-2 so far this year, despite nicks here and there.

I think a running back's running style has as much to do with their career length as their size and maybe even more so. There have been tons of bigger running backs that looked great their first few years and then just hit a wall because they tend to run through or over people as opposed to trying to avoid unnecessary contact. I read an article about the wear and tear on RB's one time and a poster had a comment that summed it up perfectly....

"Meeting a linebacker in the hole has the same effect as a car wreck. 300x a year for 7 or 8 years and the math takes care of itself."

Re: Ravens RB weights

Quote Originally Posted by iggyman555 View Post
    is it just me but every time pierce gets tackled i am praying he doesnt come up with an injury?
    What he saidVVVVVVV

Quote Originally Posted by RedSkins Fury View Post
    Not just you. Lol. I don't get so worried when he hits a whole in the line and stays inside... But when he busts it outside I'm praying he gets up. Something about him in space and his upright running style.... he always gets tackled up high and goes down awkwardly. I feel he he gets up from a sideline tackle limping about 1/5 times.
    As far as the original posters point, it depends on the back and the type of weight he puts on. Ray Rice doesn't take very many big hits, he is very elusive. There is a point where too much bulk can negatively effect that elusiveness. I don't believe Ray has hit that point though.