Blog Entries

The Ravens should be looking at RB too.

Fact of the matter is Rice is expensive and through two games hasn't been nearly as productive as he has been in the past and Bernard pierce has a history of injuries.

Might be a good idea for the Ravens to look at someone like Damien Williams out of Oklahoma, Roderick McDowell out of Clemson. Or Lache Seastrunk out of Baylor.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Re: The Ravens should be looking at RB too.

I support this.
    Haven't peeped any RBs myself, so I can't contribute anything at the moment.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    I support this.
    Haven't peeped any RBs myself, so I can't contribute anything at the moment.
    I think Lache Seastrunk is probably the top "pure" RB in this draft.

He is 5'10", 210lbs and nice speed/shiftiness. He also has nice hands. He started out as a top flight recruit by Chip Kelly, but never fit into his offense (he was on the same teams with Kenjon Barner and LaMichael James). I think Seastrunk has a little Shady McCoy in him with some nice power.

Damien Williams out of Oklahoma (5'11" 215lbs) is also a nice recruit.

Truth be told, this is probably a weak RB class at the moment.

I don't see the team making any big changes at RB. Rice's contract makes him un-cuttable until after 2015, no matter how geriatric he continues to look. He still has a ton of value as the best pass-catching back in the league, so at most I see them going to a true committee backfield with Pierce and Rice splitting carries 50/50. Rice will get more total touches.

What I'd like the Ravens to look at picking up is a Darren Sproles type--a guy who can line up at tailback a few times a game to give you a home run threat out of the backfield, or in the slot to turn short passes into big gains. I'm not really sure that I see that kind of guy in the 2014 class outside of Black Mamba, who probably isn't worth a 1st round pick to the Ravens.

Blog Entries

Ka'Deem Carey and James White could be that type of a player.

I'd normally agree, but I hate this RB class.

Given when they're likely to go, the only one I'd be particularly interested in is De'Anthony Thomas (and that's under the assumption that he falls to the third round). He'd be a guy that could contribute immediately in the return and passing game.

I'd just as soon double up on the offensive line or wide receiver than use a pick on a running back.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mizerooskie View Post
    I'd normally agree, but I hate this RB class.

Given when they're likely to go, the only one I'd be particularly interested in is De'Anthony Thomas (and that's under the assumption that he falls to the third round). He'd be a guy that could contribute immediately in the return and passing game.

I'd just as soon double up on the offensive line or wide receiver than use a pick on a running back.
    Definitely a valid point.

This is not a strong group of running backs.

Perhaps looking at free agency might be a better way to go.

"The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Not a lot there either...the good ones are going to go somewhere where they can start.

Jackie Battle and James Starks are intriguing to me. Inexpensive.

I think Ben Tate, if he isn't retained in Houston, is going to be the highest paid RB out of that crop for sure.

The future of Ray Rice in Baltimore...

In 2014 he costs $8.750M against the cap. If he gets cut he'd cost the team $14.250M in dead money or $5.5M more than if he is kept. He's not going anywhere next year regardless of his level of play. Unless there's a career ending injury, the two RB's next year will be Rice and Pierce and you can write that in ink.

In 2015 he costs $7.750M against the cap. If he gets cut he'd cost the team $9.5M in dead money or $1.75M more than if he is kept. Kinda hard to see him get cut this year too. This is also Bernard Pierce's last year with his rookie salary. Possibly a RB will get drafted this year to prepare for next year when both Rice and Pierce may not be on the team because...

In 2016 Rice costs the same $7.750M against the cap. If he gets cut he'd cost the team $4.75M in dead money resulting in a cap savings of $3M. Here is where he most likely gets cut unless he shows remarkable resiliency. Instead of paying Rice in 2016, the team may re-sign Pierce and/or get a higher round draft pick RB. (2016 is the year that Flacco's cap hit is $28.55M.)

Blog Entries

I don't disagree with what you're saying and I wasn't implying that the Ravens should cut Rice. He'll, I'm not even implying that they use which draft pick on a back.

What I am saying is that to avoid a situation like they are in right now, it may be prudent to consider a mid round back.

Oh, OK. Makes sense.