Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How Do You Stop the 49ers Offense??

This one is a little late, I've been busy with college, but this has been on my mind since the Packers game. How in the world do you stop the 49ers offense? The Packers studied hard on stopping the zone read plays, yet Colin Kaepernick still had a huge day, by going through the air and avoiding the run as much as possible. Is there any way to slow this locomotive offense down? You stop the run, they'll just carve you up all day through the air. You stop the pass, Kaep goes crazy in the run game. With a year and an offseason of starting reps behind Kaepernick, along with the clutch aspect that Boldin gives them, and what looks like chemistry between Kaep/Davis, what gives?? Do you just hope to outscore them, or is there a way to actually stop them?

Blog Entries

Re: How Do You Stop the 49ers Offense??

The Seahawks will try to answer that question in a couple of days. They've got the horses to do it

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Cool Re: How Do You Stop the 49ers Offense??

Quote Originally Posted by T-Sizzle View Post
    This one is a little late, I've been busy with college, but this has been on my mind since the Packers game. How in the world do you stop the 49ers offense? The Packers studied hard on stopping the zone read plays, yet Colin Kaepernick still had a huge day, by going through the air and avoiding the run as much as possible. Is there any way to slow this locomotive offense down? You stop the run, they'll just carve you up all day through the air. You stop the pass, Kaep goes crazy in the run game. With a year and an offseason of starting reps behind Kaepernick, along with the clutch aspect that Boldin gives them, and what looks like chemistry between Kaep/Davis, what gives?? Do you just hope to outscore them, or is there a way to actually stop them?
    You try to make Kaepernick hold the ball and run with it as much as you can and you beat the s**t out of him every chance you can. No QB will hold up for a full season that way. It's one of the reasons the wishbone never took off in the NFL. RGIII is already damaged goods from his knee injury last year and once Russell Wilson and Kaepernick get injured, teams will stop using the zone read so much.

Quote Originally Posted by PalladinInNC View Post
    You try to make Kaepernick hold the ball and run with it as much as you can and you beat the s**t out of him every chance you can. No QB will hold up for a full season that way. It's one of the reasons the wishbone never took off in the NFL. RGIII is already damaged goods from his knee injury last year and once Russell Wilson and Kaepernick get injured, teams will stop using the zone read so much.
    In theory, this is a very good strategy. However, as witnessed against the Pack, they tried to do the same thing, and shut down the run, but Kaep went through the air and had a HUGE game of doing so. Now, I know the Packers don't have the best defense in the NFL by any means, but they didn't even look like they ever truly had a chance of even containing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    The Seahawks will try to answer that question in a couple of days. They've got the horses to do it
    True, it'll be interesting to watch for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Sizzle View Post
    In theory, this is a very good strategy. However, as witnessed against the Pack, they tried to do the same thing, and shut down the run, but Kaep went through the air and had a HUGE game of doing so. Now, I know the Packers don't have the best defense in the NFL by any means, but they didn't even look like they ever truly had a chance of even containing them.
    Actually I think he's suggesting you do the opposite of what the Packers did. They sold out to stop the run, played constant zone and kept everything in front of them. As a result, the underneath stuff that Boldin is built for was wide open. Actually wide open doesn't really cover it. Uncontested comes closer.

I would do what Baltimore did in the first half of the Super Bowl before Ngata went out. Play man up on his receivers and make him hold the ball. No easy quick releases. You will surrender yards in the run game, and risk a big play from a guy like Davis, but if and when Kaep takes off, someone will be there to belt him for his troubles. Also, any time they run an option play, belt him. Hard.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Actually I think he's suggesting you do the opposite of what the Packers did. They sold out to stop the run, played constant zone and kept everything in front of them. As a result, the underneath stuff that Boldin is built for was wide open. Actually wide open doesn't really cover it. Uncontested comes closer.

I would do what Baltimore did in the first half of the Super Bowl before Ngata went out. Play man up on his receivers and make him hold the ball. No easy quick releases. You will surrender yards in the run game, and risk a big play from a guy like Davis, but if and when Kaep takes off, someone will be there to belt him for his troubles. Also, any time they run an option play, belt him. Hard.
    Love this plan. Make him think out there, rather than just letting him do his thing. However, man to man will still be pretty hard to play against them. As you said, Davis would break free of the coverage and go for a big day, and they'd still be unstoppable in that manner. Another option is still Boldin... while he's not the fastest by any means, and has a tough time of getting separation against man, he still loves those contested passes, and is more than capable of making man to man look pretty silly against him. The end result would still be that Kaep has a pretty huge day through the air.

And that, my friends, is exactly how you stop the 49ers D.

Blog Entries

All it takes is some big physical Corners and Safeties. Hopefully Jimmy Smith ends up close enough to Richard Sherman to do the same thing

Blog Entries

You guys love Cosell, he breaks down what happened although IMO he did a lazy job at it

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...6301--nfl.html

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Uh, better add the Colts to the list.....lol

Jim Harbaugh must be having a baby in the locker room. Wonder what he is going to whine about at the presser.

Blog Entries

He's going to wine about his WRs not getting open, penalties and how once Indy sealed the leaks off the edge in their run defense San Fran was no match.

Both QBs were forced to throw. Luck was more accurate and he had better WRs to throw to.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore