Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Matt Elam & Arthur Brown

For the past week we've debated the defensive struggles and some of us even lobbied for Elam and Brown to play right away. I thought this article gave some insight into the player's mindset, how they value their current role and the need to go through their progressions.

We know Harbaugh loves versatility and the handling of Elam and Brown alludes to that. At some point we'll see them get more snaps no doubt. I look forward to that moment.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...7-5fb1c89387f0
    Last edited by pslholder96; 09-13-2013 at 03:54 PM.

Blog Entries

Re: Matt Elam & Arthur Brown

not Jones... Brown :)
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

I'm really, really skeptical about the hyperemphasis on special teams, particularly as it affects the rookies. Most of us grant that there's a quantum leap in complexity going from college to NFL offenses & defenses, so it's going to take time & effort for rookies to learn their roles. Meanwhile, though, the Ravens require them to serve on special teams--which also involves major coming-up-to-speed, since (as Arthur Brown notes) most of the newbies were marquee players in their school programs & never played STs. Even if the ST playbook is significantly less complex than that for O or D, having to learn it cold--along with learning how to do things on a pro level you may not have done since Pop Warner (again Arthur Brown re blocking)--has to impede their learning curves for the positions they were drafted to play.

Yeah, I know special teams are important & anyone who's active on game day has to fill some sort of role in the overall game plan--but sometimes I wonder if this coaching staff isn't so obsessed with ST play that it can only recognize a diamond in the rough when injuries force their collective hand (cf. Flacco, Joseph Vincent, 2008).

I do not understand what Harbaugh did with Bynes and Brown last week. He put Brown on special teams, which he's never done. As a result he gave up a blocked punt. Then Harbaugh leaves Bynes out their during passing situations and Bynes gets torched. Those roles should be reversed with Brown in on passing downs and Bynes on specials. Whatever happened to playing guys to their strengths? I mean Brown proved he was as advertised in pass defense in the preseason so what warranted him not playing in that role in the regular season?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by landshark52 View Post
    I do not understand what Harbaugh did with Bynes and Brown last week. He put Brown on special teams, which he's never done. As a result he gave up a blocked punt. Then Harbaugh leaves Bynes out their during passing situations and Bynes gets torched. Those roles should be reversed with Brown in on passing downs and Bynes on specials. Whatever happened to playing guys to their strengths? I mean Brown proved he was as advertised in pass defense in the preseason so what warranted him not playing in that role in the regular season?
    You make good points, and I am in agreement with you ... Bc

Blog Entries

I do understand why Harbaugh did not play the rookies more in the first game. It's bad enough that everyone expected communication issues. The last thing you need is multiple rookies starting against Peyton Manning on the road.

Cleveland does not present the same offensive threat, so it would not surprise me to see both of them more this Sunday.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by landshark52 View Post
    Well as the article implies there's a learning curve that Brown has to go through, especially if you're not a high impact first rounder who are generally expected to play right away.

Blog Entries

Arthur Brown needs to learn special teams, because if somebody gets hurt he'll have to play it and even if nobody gets hurt he might become good at it. In the playoffs, if somebody gets hurt and he doesn't have that experience by then, he'll have to play and he'll make a costly mistake that will cost the Ravens the game and posters will starting attacking Harbaugh for being a Special Teams coordinator with poor special teams that cost the Ravens another shot at the Super Bowl.

I mean, isn't special teams the reason Denver was even in the game last year? Isn't special teams what blew the door open in the Super Bowl before the outage?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Position coaches or Harbs on personnel placement?
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Position coaches or Harbs on personnel placement?
    It'll be Harbaugh, trust me.

You can't not play a guy because you're scared Peyton will scar him for life. These guys aren't skimpy little girls like David Care who can't handle gettin beaten down. I mean hell, the ravens couldn't have done worse if Brown was on d. Eventually u gotta throw him in the fire and if he shows more ability than Bynes you mine as well play him...at least more than 6 plays. C'mon Harbaugh git r done or get fired. ****SARCASM****

Loba, I have been alluding that point for a while now...

Ex.... it was not like we were asking that these two to start against Peyton Manning. Rather, these two could play on certain downs with specific alignments. Granted, they will make a mistake, but let them learn.

As for starting your high draft picks on special team, I don't see the significant of it. Special team players are replaceable, IMHO. If we had a special team like Chicago, a perennial special team powerhouse, I would be more forgiving of that strategy. However, we were average special team at best to put it nicely. We had Jacoby Jones last year that gave us a competitive advantage.

Didn't key players get hurt playing special teams during Harbaugh era? I can think of Jimmy Smith and Webb. I don't think it is worth a risk to place draft picks on a special team, then give average special team player (Bynes) the nod over a better player in certain packages.

Like someone said, we overemphasized special team to young players...