Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

AFC starting to take shape

Denver.
    Everyone else.

Outside of Denver, right now not too many scary teams out there in the AFC. And i think they may also be overrated too...

Baltimore, Houston, KC, NE, Indy, Cincy all have some deficiencies but should be in the AFC playoff hunt come the end of the seaosn.

The comeback was great against SD...for a change, but Houston has the greatest overhyped players in the league. Great talent that absolutley shrivels when the going gets tough. My guess is Johnson, Foster and Schaub will continue to be underwhelming this year.

KC is an unknown with Andy reid now at the helm. It was Jax, but they appear to be playing for him...Old Chiefs would not have done that. Is this defense for real?

NE's WRs looked pathetic last night, but that should improve if/when they get back Gronk and Amendola. Keeping them healthy is another story.

Indy looks promising, but you can't put yourself in those tough must-come-back situations during playoff time.

Cincy- more of the same. Great talent, but whether it's the Red Rifle or Marvin, they just can't seem to get over the hump. Seem to lack mental toughness.

Blog Entries

Re: AFC starting to take shape

I dont think its much different than I expected. I thought Denver would once again rise to the top, as I thought they were the best team last year. Changes nothing, and clearly the best team doesnt always win once in the playoffs. Houston will be in the mix, as will NE with their inferior division. Even Denver as bad as they beat us still showed some things teams can take advantage of going forward. Theyre the pace setter right now, but i wouldnt be "scared" to face them again.
    -JAB

No offense, but every one of these teams other than New England have only played once. I'm not sure how anyone can ascertain anything from one week? If we were going by the first week, the Ravens certainly wouldn't look to be in the mix. It's just my opinion, however I feel after 4 or 5 weeks, everything then will begin to take shape. ( And maybe not even then )

I can't place too much value on week 1 results. They are often a mirage.
    The two things that look certain so far is 1) the strength of NYJ's run defense, and 2) the impact of #87 for NE.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

While I respect your right to start any kind of thread don't you think the thread title is a little misleading? Maybe "Week 1" observations would have been more appropriate? It's way too early to say anything is taking shape after only 1 week of football.

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    I dont think its much different than I expected. I thought Denver would once again rise to the top, as I thought they were the best team last year. Changes nothing, and clearly the best team doesnt always win once in the playoffs. Houston will be in the mix, as will NE with their inferior division. Even Denver as bad as they beat us still showed some things teams can take advantage of going forward. Theyre the pace setter right now, but i wouldnt be "scared" to face them again.
    Denver peaking in September only does them so much good, as opposed to peaking in January.

Blog Entries

It's been one week. I would be surprised if by Week 10 the Patriots offense isn't clicking with a healthy Gronk, healthy Amendola, and more experience for their young WRs. Granted given Gronk and Amendola's injury histories, those are "ifs", but all those things combined put them on the same level as Denver, if not better, since Brady doesn't fold like an accordion in the playoffs (unless he plays us or the Giants).

Odd thread IMO. The Colts had to come from behind to beat the Raiders and KC beat what is probably the worst team in the league in Jax, but they are playoff contenders? The Titans beat the Steelers pretty soundly, why not include them? Buffalo played NE tough and lost in the final seconds, why not include them? I guess I don't get this kind of thread after one week of the season. So much can happen even in just the next 3-4 weeks. That'd be a better time to evaluate how the AFC is shaping up.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    I can't place too much value on week 1 results. They are often a mirage.
    The two things that look certain so far is 1) the strength of NYJ's run defense, and 2) the impact of #87 for NE.
    Agreed. Every year there are teams that peak early and trail off late. And teams that start slow and get hot late. We won't know the real contenders are until there are 3 or 4 games left in the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    Agreed. Every year there are teams that peak early and trail off late. And teams that start slow and get hot late. We won't know the real contenders are until there are 3 or 4 games left in the season.
    So we should just stop talking about it until then?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by palukaraven View Post
    No offense, but every one of these teams other than New England have only played once. I'm not sure how anyone can ascertain anything from one week? If we were going by the first week, the Ravens certainly wouldn't look to be in the mix. It's just my opinion, however I feel after 4 or 5 weeks, everything then will begin to take shape. ( And maybe not even then )
    ^^^ this ^^^

I wouldn't even be surprised if Denver loses in NY this weekend and the Ravens beat Cleveland. Both teams could be 1-1 and last Thursdsay will be a distant memory.

Quote Originally Posted by mfdoom42 View Post
    Yes. Come back in January:)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mfdoom42 View Post
    Nope. Anyone can talk about it anytime they want. Waiting for 3-4 weeks into the season is just another perspective on the thread topic. There's no right and wrong here, just opinions.