Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Re: Terrific Ozzie article

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    I'm struck by Ozzie's even keel patient approach to everyone. Great Great read. While a lot of us here are fuming and hitting th e panic button I can just picture Ozzie quietly sitting back and saying "What part of I've got this don't you understand" LOL
    Indeed, his ability to sit back and wait for the Corey Grahams to fall into his lap while other teams jump on the Krugers is why the Ravens excel. Yes, the draft superstars as well as anybody, but the Ravens win because of the lesser known players Ozzie brings in with his patience and trust in what his scouts tell him.

Excellent leader and great example.

Blog Entries

Wow, great read! Thanks for posting

Learned that the Jets drafting Kyle Brady #9 in 1995 was the pivot that got the new 1996 GM Ozzie a second first rounder

and was reminded that both first rounders played out of position in 1996.
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    http://mmqb.si.com/2013/09/12/ozzie-...timore-ravens/

Great read here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Thanks for sharing. What a great article. I love the story about the dinner in 2008 when Ozzie said his friend Brian Billick took the blame for 5-11, but it was really his fault and a little the scouts. That was nice to hear about Brian Billick who I think belongs in the ROH. Ozzie will be there and so will John Harbaugh. We'll get to remember everyone in the Ravens organization who was responsible for this great run of success.

This article just hammers home how people need to relax and not jump all over this Super Bowl winning team one game into the season. I miss the old guys but embrace the new challenges we face. Its going to be an exciting year and we are in good hands for the future with Oz and his team.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    honestly I think they drop the ball a bit this offseason, I guess we will see how it turns out, but I don't have much hope for what they gave Joe to worth with this season.
    Did you post those same sentiments BEFORE the Broncos game ? Hmmm, I thought not. So, if the Ravens end up 11 - 5 or 10 - 4 and in the playoffs, will you still think the same way?
    I believe Ozzie wanted to get younger, faster, and more athletic than in 2013. He did that, and had a solid draft too (considering the Ravens draft position). I still have confidence in these 2013 Ravens... Bc

That was an awesome read!

I love this so much:

“He is a very patient, patient guy,” said Ravens senior vice president for public relations Kevin Byrne, who has been with the franchise for 33 years. “He believes oftentimes that things will work themselves out without having to make a dramatic, drastic decision.”

Blog Entries

Can Ozzie make the HOF twice - as a player and GM?

The announcers during the DEnver game raved about his career as both a player
    and GM.

iggyman555 Guest

great article...in oz we trust

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Can Ozzie make the HOF twice - as a player and GM?

The announcers during the DEnver game raved about his career as both a player
    and GM.
    I went searching, could find nothing.

In the HOF there are people listed as both being player and being coach...
    most were inducted near the start of the HOF itself
    And the list is "oldsters"

AFAIK, there has never been a situation where a person has been elected to the HOF and then goes on to produce HOF worthy accomplishments in a non-player category.

The List of players/coaches
    Ray Flaherty
    George Halas
    Walt Kiesling
    Earl "Curly" Lambeau
    Alphonse "Tuffy" Leemans
    Wayne Millner
    Ernie Nevers
    Steve Owen
    Fritz Pollard
    Joe Stydahar
    Jim Thorpe
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...Fame_inductees

Ozzie is still young enough to add to the resume... interesting question to consider.... think he still has to add some more years to be "Bill Walsh-like" but he is one man that could do it if it would be allowed.
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Blog Entries

I don't care if Ozzie makes the HOF as a GM as long as he makes the ROH with three or four Super Bowls under his belt... Bc

Blog Entries

Fantastic article.

A lot of you know me, I used to be a little bombastic. I have mellowed. I have an Ozzie Newsome story. Nothing epic mind you, but it captured everything in this article and then some, I was waiting for a time, a reason to post it more than just to brag, but back up this thread, the article, 'the MAN'.

It was Thursday, June 20th at BWI Airport. I was flying to Ft. Lauderdale to hang with an old friend and meet her boyfriend. So I roll into 'Obrycki's' on the Southwest wing of the airport. Soon as I walk in, bam, Steeler fan wearing a Steeler shirt, typing away on his laptop. So I go over to this 'trespasser' and tell him, "I hate your team. But I respect you guys and you have a great coach." So we start some fun jawing for about 10 minutes and a spot opens up at the bar. I bid him farewell and safe travels and he imparts that he also "Hates my team, but we have the best GM in the league."

Time passes, I chat with fellow travelers. Then, I get a tap on the shoulder. It is Steeler fan, getting ready to roll. He looks at me, tugs at his shirt and says, "Remember who told you. There's your man. Ozzie Newsome." He points to the right and son of a bitch, it is Ozzie Newsome. Steeler fan said, "Go on man, go get a picture with him before anyone else notices."

I got up, went straight to his table. He was like all of us, waiting on a plane. There was a gentleman with him sporting a 'suit', Ozzie was casual, but in his style.

"Excuse me Mr. Newsome. I was wondering if I might get a picture with you?" I asked.

Ozzie, I could tell in the deep recesses of his mind was thinking, "Damn, I've been spotted!" He made no initial response, but it felt like that 1 second was an eternity for me. I lowered my head, pointed to my Super Bowl 47 World Champion Baltimore Ravens cap and said, 'C'mon Oz! I'm representing!"

Again, it was like that next second was an hour, and he then nodded and said, "Yup, you are." He got up, I gave my camera to his companion, and he snapped the shot. "Thank you Mr. Newsome." I then meet two close friends right after purely by chance as Ozzie sat down and ended up sitting next to them on the flight to Florida. Ozzie didn't get hassled much after me, maybe two other people, seems with all the traffic, he was just another traveler after a few people picked up on who I had my picture with.

As I left Obrycki's, I walked past him and turned to him, held out my hand, he took it and we shook. I said, "Thanks again Mr. Newsome. You are the best General Manager in in the NFL. Congratulations on this past season and good luck to you and the Ravens this season."

"You are welcome, and thank you." was his reply.

I met the wizard.