Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Re: Did the Orioles/MLB schedule another home game on the first Thursday in September again?

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Exaggerate much? Orioles total season attendance is significantly greater than Ravens [fact]. Orioles game bring more to the local economy over a season than do Ravens game [opinion - which logically should be correct]. Please don't be dismissive of the Orioles because they are no longer the King of local sports scene. And just because it displeases you, that does not translate into "the majority of people"!

What "small minority"? I attend every Ravens game, and just sporadic O's games, and I consider my self in the vast majority. You have no better data to support your contention than I do.

Come on T. Yeah, given 162 games, the attendance is greater. NFL has 16 guaranteed games, and Baltimore gets 8 + 2 preseason + postseason to host.

That comparison is deceptive.

I don't post here much. Mostly like reading the opinions and information. But this one makes me laugh.

The NFL, a few years ago, decided to try to make the opener something like baseball's opening day. It is not. As a Ravens season ticket holder ( my name is on the wall outside the stadium as i was in the original expansion group), I don't give a damn and I honestly don't like Thursday games.

Opening Day as an event belongs to baseball. Opening day for football is contrived. And not even consistent. I don't give a crap about concerts in town or any of that nonsense. Play the game. Football is not a out carnivals or concerts. It is about the game.

Those of you getting upset about it are falling for the NFL propaganda machine. It is not that big a deal to almost anyone anywhere.

And, yes, it is up to the NFL to ask for the date. The Grand Prix people reserved the day ahead of time. It is not MLB's job to work out the NFL schedule when the NFL hasn't even announced yet that they are opening on Sept 5. They have been known to move their opening weekend. They used to open on Labor Day weekend. Now they try to avoid it. Nothing the NFL does is constant. Including the non-tradition of the Super Bowl champ opening at home on Thursday.

Blog Entries

Re: Did the Orioles/MLB schedule another home game on the first Thursday in September again?

Quote Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
    Those of you getting upset about it are falling for the NFL propaganda machine. It is not that big a deal to almost anyone anywhere.
    That's a statement that really has no basis behind it. There are several valid reasons for fans to be upset about the opening game not being played in Baltimore. Many fans do enjoy the opening game atmosphere and the concerts/celebrations that go with it. I thought it was pretty neat to see Baltimore's Inner Harbor all lit up behind Keith Urban. For many of us it would have been nice to attend that free concert, drink a few and then walk over to the game. I happen to enjoy that kind of stuff as do many other fans.

I have no idea who was ultimately responsible for the Ravens not getting that game. I don't believe a word of what anyone in those NFL and MLB offices said. But none of this has to do with falling for the NFL propaganda machine. And if it's not a big deal to some fans, then they don't have to attend. They came either stay at home or go straight to the stadium and skip the party. No harm there.

Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    That's a statement that really has no basis behind it. There are several valid reasons for fans to be upset about the opening game not being played in Baltimore. Many fans do enjoy the opening game atmosphere and the concerts/celebrations that go with it. I thought it was pretty neat to see Baltimore's Inner Harbor all lit up behind Keith Urban. For many of us it would have been nice to attend that free concert, drink a few and then walk over to the game. I happen to enjoy that kind of stuff as do many other fans.

I have no idea who was ultimately responsible for the Ravens not getting that game. I don't believe a word of what anyone in those NFL and MLB offices said. But none of this has to do with falling for the NFL propaganda machine. And if it's not a big deal to some fans, then they don't have to attend. They came either stay at home or go straight to the stadium and skip the party. No harm there.
    The NFL doing fine, record profits every year. As it stands MLB can block the Ravens from ever playing an opening game if they want. The NFL will just schedule around it and move on. I'm not sure what anyone is falling for. They aren't going to move the game as has been discussed ad nauseum for some trifle bickering over a city's shared stadium resources. There have entered into TV contracts no one here is privy to so no one knows with certainty what wrangling is required to change the date. It's obvious not worth the trouble, just move the game.

Blog Entries

Opening Day as an event belongs to baseball. Opening day for football is contrived. And not even consistent...
    I happen to agree with you, and I'm much more of a football fan than I am a baseball fan.
    Baseball's opening day is like the start of Spring. It evokes something inside that makes us feel a certain renewal of life (sorry to get philosophical). I love the Ravens, but don't care if they open at home or on the road. I know there will be 8 regular season home games anyway. To me, this is much ado about nothing... Bc

I don't post here much. Mostly like reading the opinions and information. But this one makes me laugh.

The NFL, a few years ago, decided to try to make the opener something like baseball's opening day. It is not. As a Ravens season ticket holder ( my name is on the wall outside the stadium as i was in the original expansion group), I don't give a damn and I honestly don't like Thursday games.

Opening Day as an event belongs to baseball. Opening day for football is contrived. And not even consistent. I don't give a crap about concerts in town or any of that nonsense. Play the game. Football is not a out carnivals or concerts. It is about the game.

And, yes, it is up to the NFL to ask for the date. The Grand Prix people reserved the day ahead of time. It is not MLB's job to work out the NFL schedule when the NFL hasn't even announced yet that they are opening on Sept 5. They have been known to move their opening weekend. They used to open on Labor Day weekend. Now they try to avoid it. Nothing the NFL does is constant. Including the non-tradition of the Super Bowl champ opening at home on Thursday.
    :word
    You should post more often. You make a lot of sense.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Opening night is huge when your team is the defending champs. Whether it's a new concept or not, I really like it. It sucks that we got snubbed this season, and even if the chances of repeating are slim, you would think the Orioles would have requested not to be at home that night just to avoid a potential conflict. The fact is that the orioles don't care. every other MLB team that could have the same conflict is not at home that night.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleguy View Post
    Opening night is huge when your team is the defending champs.
    Byngo! We're not talking about the average opening day. If it was just another opening day then on the road or home doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleguy View Post
    Opening night is huge when your team is the defending champs. Whether it's a new concept or not, I really like it. It sucks that we got snubbed this season, and even if the chances of repeating are slim, you would think the Orioles would have requested not to be at home that night just to avoid a potential conflict. The fact is that the orioles don't care. every other MLB team that could have the same conflict is not at home that night.
    The Ravens are my team. It is not huge to me. It feels artificial.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I happen to agree with you, and I'm much more of a football fan than I am a baseball fan.
    Baseball's opening day is like the start of Spring. It evokes something inside that makes us feel a certain renewal of life (sorry to get philosophical). I love the Ravens, but don't care if they open at home or on the road. I know there will be 8 regular season home games anyway. To me, this is much ado about nothing... Bc
    It would be as much ado about nothing if there was any reason at all. Literally any reason, for the O's/MLB to schedule a home game on 9/4/2014. Or.....if there were no such people living in Baltimore who would be upset that they do not get to host an NFL opening-season celebration in their home town.

Since neither is the case, then it is more than "nothing."

There's a guy named Steve Bisciotti who can truly say that the Ravens are his team, and you can trust that it was a pretty big deal for him.

You're in the minority it's a big deal when the Ravens are the defending champs.