Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post

The point is that the NFL and Baltimore would prefer the game be played on Thursday night in Baltimore if the Ravens so happen to repeat. This is common knowledge to all.

And the O's and MLB can easily make a schedule that leaves that night free. No hardship whatsoever to leave the night free. And yet.....they don't.

The question is why.
    Maybe a better question is why the NFL hasn't asked them to. Are you really saying it is MLB's responsibility to check all possible civic conflicts? What about conventions? Concerts? International soccer?

Cuz I am of a mind that if it is oh-so-important to the NFL, maybe they could look at the potential needs of their own desired schedule and address them proactively.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Re: Did the Orioles/MLB schedule another home game on the first Thursday in September again?

Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    Holy shit. I just checked the schedule and you are right! YES, we were told the city could not host two games at M&T and Camden Yards on the same day. Son of a fucking bitch. If this happens then it's clear Ravens fans were lied to.
    Yes, so who lied to you?

I've been really pissed about this subject and now it comes out that the NFL was really indeed doing a power play and now MLB has played back. Good for them. We can have both the NFL and MLB in Baltimore in the same day if the NFL wants to play ball. We can somehow have college football and the O's on the same day. I guess the City and MTA and whoever else has some sort of plan to get people into and out of the stadium.

So why can't we have the Ravens and O's on the same day? Ask Roger Goodell.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleSunday View Post
    By my count, there are eight cities that would have a tough time hosting an MLB and NFL game in one day due to shared parking/facilities - Baltimore, Cincinnatti, Oakland, Kansas City, Philadelphia, Detroit, Atlanta, and Seattle. Only one of those eight baseball teams has a home game on 9/4. Coincidence?? I think not. SMH!
    IIRC, Philly has hosted multiple events in their sporting complex on the same day. May not have been MLB and NFL, but may have been a concert and MLB or NBA and MLB or something.

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    This isn't team vs. team. It's league vs. league. After the way the NFL went out of their way to spin this (successfully, mind you) including during the Ravens/Broncos broadcast, I am quite sure MLB is going out of their way to say "fuck you."
    This right here. I'm glad MLB grew some balls with regards to its relationship with the NFL.

It also doesn't change the FACT that neither the Orioles, nor the White Sox, nor MLB are under any obligation to inconvenience themselves because the uber-popular NFL failed to plan for the possibility of the Ravens winning the Super Bowl. As they have apparently done again this year.
    This right here. MLB and the O's have their own businesses to run without making themselves be inconvenienced by the NFL. If all parties can come to the table as equals, I'm sure that ultimately, they can come to an agreement, maybe one that, in the possibility of the Ravens winning the SB, any O's game scheduled that Thursday will be a day game and the Ravens, a night game. But with the NFL's BS PR machine spinning this entire fiasco as being the O's fault, what incentive do either the O's or MLB have to accomodate the Ravens/NFL? NONE.

Quote Originally Posted by downside52 View Post
    These events are of clear benefit to the residents of the city and as such, the city should arbitrate between what event gets what resources in the event of a schedule conflict.
    The City needs to coordinate resources such as mass transit, police, and parking (which they certainly can do, since they run their own agencies operating all 3), not arbitrate between the NFL and MLB, nor their representative local teams.
    ---

Baltimore Colts (AAFC): 1947-1950
    Baltimore Colts (NFL): 1953-1984
    Baltimore Stars (USFL): 1985
    Baltimore Colts/Stallions (CFL): 1994-1995
    Baltimore Ravens (NFL): 1996-Present

Re: Did the Orioles/MLB schedule another home game on the first Thursday in September again?

Maybe a better question is why the NFL hasn't asked them to. Are you really saying it is MLB's responsibility to check all possible civic conflicts? What about conventions? Concerts? International soccer?

Cuz I am of a mind that if it is oh-so-important to the NFL, maybe they could look at the potential needs of their own desired schedule and address them proactively.
    How do you know the NFL hasn't asked them to? It seems to me the NFL already asked, and publicly.

Why would MLB need to be asked to avoid a situation that anyone other than a person with a recent head injury and amnesia already knows about?

Are you seriously trying to argue that MLB has no idea that scheduling a Thursday night game on the 4th of September in Baltimore could result in a conflict, after everything that happened this year? It boggles the mind, but it appears that you are.

How do you know the NFL hasn't asked them to? It seems to me the NFL already asked, and publicly.

Why would MLB need to be asked to avoid a situation that anyone other than a person with a recent head injury and amnesia already knows about?

Are you seriously trying to argue that MLB has no idea that scheduling a Thursday night game on the 4th of September in Baltimore could result in a conflict, after everything that happened this year? It boggles the mind, but it appears that you are.
    They asked after the fact about LAST year. They did not ask before the fact. And unless you know something that I don't, they haven't asked before the fact this year. If there is evidence that the NFL asked MLB to please schedule the Orioles out of town on that Thursday in 2014, and MLB ignored the request, then I will change my tune. That would be ridiculous on MLB's part.

And I'm not saying MLB isn't aware of it. What I am saying is that the onus is not on MLB to be worried about what the NFL may or may not wish to schedule. They also don't need to check on World Cup soccer, the summer Olympics, the Billy Graham Crusade, Formula 1 racing, and Kenny Chesney's tour schedule. It is up to those people to actually make requests before MLB completes their schedule. Which I am sure they would do if it were actually important to them. I'm betting the NFL made damn sure there wasn't anything conflicting with that parking lot in New Jersey February 2nd.
    "Chin up, chest out."

You guys are making a lot of excuses for the Orioles and for MLB, and acting like MLB (by virtue of making its schedule earlier in the year) has no obligation whatsoever to change its plans even when changing its plans is in the clear best interest of the city.

Hosting the NFL kickoff for the reigning super bowl champions would have meant more to the city than one Orioles game did, and I dont care if they called "dibs" on the parking lot earlier. The Orioles failure to accommodate the best interests of the city means that the city should take action, up to and including creating a policy to allow them to take action to prevent these sort of situations in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by downside52 View Post
    You guys are making a lot of excuses for the Orioles and for MLB, and acting like MLB (by virtue of making its schedule earlier in the year) has no obligation whatsoever to change its plans even when changing its plans is in the clear best interest of the city.

Hosting the NFL kickoff for the reigning super bowl champions would have meant more to the city than one Orioles game did, and I dont care if they called "dibs" on the parking lot earlier. The Orioles failure to accommodate the best interests of the city means that the city should take action, up to and including creating a policy to allow them to take action to prevent these sort of situations in the future.
    The Orioles did not make the schedule, they simply play what's on their schedule and where they need to play.

As for you saying what would have meant more that's your biased opinion. Granted for money's sake it would have brought more to the city but the Orioles are playing for a playoff spot. Every game counts so there was no way the Orioles just say fuck our chances here lets give a game or two up and play a double header to make the Ravens happy.

Some of you are to damn blind to see the NFL could have made the changes.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

They asked after the fact about LAST year. They did not ask before the fact. And unless you know something that I don't, they haven't asked before the fact this year. If there is evidence that the NFL asked MLB to please schedule the Orioles out of town on that Thursday in 2014, and MLB ignored the request, then I will change my tune. That would be ridiculous on MLB's part.

And I'm not saying MLB isn't aware of it. What I am saying is that the onus is not on MLB to be worried about what the NFL may or may not wish to schedule. They also don't need to check on World Cup soccer, the summer Olympics, the Billy Graham Crusade, Formula 1 racing, and Kenny Chesney's tour schedule. It is up to those people to actually make requests before MLB completes their schedule. Which I am sure they would do if it were actually important to them. I'm betting the NFL made damn sure there wasn't anything conflicting with that parking lot in New Jersey February 2nd.
    You are repeating yourself.

Re-read my previous post, it still applies.

MLB is aware of the date. MLB knows there could be a repeat of the 2013 debacle if they schedule that date. MLB can easily block the date in the schedule-making algorithm. MLB chooses to schedule a game on the date.

There is no "onus" on anyone, other than to make MLB aware of the conflict dates. MLB is aware. Obviously.

Why should the NFL have to make any request? There is really only a handful of teams that this could effect, and all of those teams except for the Orioles made the provision. I believe all of those teams, except the Orioles, also made the provision this year. Bisciotti was very confident after the Ravens won the Superbowl that "something could be worked out". A guy like that doesn't say something like that if he wasn't pretty sure. Rumor is that the Orioles didn't even return phone calls. I'm sure Bisciotti took that personally. There is bad blood, and it is the Orioles that started it, and I am an Oriole fan. An Oriole fan that can't wait for the death of Peter Angelos.

This is nutty. The fact is MLB doesn't make accommodations for the NFL and no one is suggesting they do. Every year the NFL schedules around the MLB to avoid conflicts. Folks are blowing this thing up into something that no one is suggesting. This discussion is about one team(the Ravens) and one day(NFL kickoff game). Don't drag the entire universe into something so simple.

The bottom line: it would be good for the city, fans and team if consideration is given towards accommodating this game in the future if we are so fortunate to have that opportunity again. Create and support a hostile and uncooperative environment towards a great owner like Biscotti and we'll be crying about losing the Ravens in the future. O's have 81 home games vs 8 for the Ravens. Those 81 games are scheduled unencumbered by anything I'm aware of. Rain outs are rescheduled to consume even more dates. Who's hogging the calendar? Seems silly to me that consideration for one day is so outrageous to some folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleguy View Post
    Why should the NFL have to make any request? There is really only a handful of teams that this could effect, and all of those teams except for the Orioles made the provision. I believe all of those teams, except the Orioles, also made the provision this year. Bisciotti was very confident after the Ravens won the Superbowl that "something could be worked out". A guy like that doesn't say something like that if he wasn't pretty sure. Rumor is that the Orioles didn't even return phone calls. I'm sure Bisciotti took that personally. There is bad blood, and it is the Orioles that started it, and I am an Oriole fan. An Oriole fan that can't wait for the death of Peter Angelos.
    Where did you hear these rumors? Can you provide a source or a link with this information? Do you know someone in the Orioles organization that can verify this information that they wouldn't return phone calls, at all?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

You are repeating yourself.

Re-read my previous post, it still applies.

MLB is aware of the date. MLB knows there could be a repeat of the 2013 debacle if they schedule that date. MLB can easily block the date in the schedule-making algorithm. MLB chooses to schedule a game on the date.

There is no "onus" on anyone, other than to make MLB aware of the conflict dates. MLB is aware. Obviously.
    Of course I'm repeating myself. You're not addressing the point. How is this not NFL's responsibility? They could have moved the game to Wednesday. They could have requested that the O's not schedule a home game. They did nothing.

Now this year, again, they are doing nothing. Of course MLB is aware. So what? Being aware doesn't accomplish anything. Action has to take place ensure that if Baltimore wins the SB, they host the preseason opener. And that action has to begin with the NFL. If they want it to happen, there are many actions they can take. And they have taken none of them. And all you want to talk about is MLB. It's not their problem; it's not their responsibility.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleguy View Post
    Why should the NFL have to make any request?
    Why? Why? WHY?!!! Because it is THEIR event! If you own Ringling Bros, you take care of scheduling venues for your circus. You don't wait for someone else to figure out what you might want to do and schedule around it.

That goes for sports teams, community organizations, your own wedding, whatever. This is nuts. What other universe does an organization take absolutely no action at all to make arrangements for their event, and then blame somebody else for the conflict? And THEN, do the exact same thing the following year?

Please, somebody, anybody, tell me one valid reason that the NFL didn't move the game to Wednesday this past year. Give me one reason they did not make a formal request to MLB last year or this year to keep that date open in Baltimore.

There were many more logistics involved for MLB to reschedule the Orioles and the White Sox than there would have been for the NFL to play the game on Wednesday-- which is incidentally is exactly what they did the year before, when it was actually important to them. And still everyone wants to harp on MLB's responsibility, and act like the NFL has absolutely no responsibility for their own freaking event.
    "Chin up, chest out."