Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Did the Orioles/MLB schedule another home game on the first Thursday in September again?

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Perhaps MLB should schedule all their teams to play at a neutral site on the 1st Thursday in September just to accommodate the NFL (?) What nonsense. Our Ravens won the Super Bowl and I'm crazy happy about it. I don't care that we played our opener in Denver, just that we lost... Bc
    All the teams do not have the potential conflict. And since there is no hardship at all to avoiding the conflict (the algorithm will still spit out a viable schedule without games on this day for those specific teams), then I don't see why MLB would want to risk another debacle and dose of bad PR, unless it places a value on "sticking it to their NFL counterpart."

That said, I don't really care about opening on Thursday on the road after a title, but obviously many other people do.

Re: Did the Orioles/MLB schedule another home game on the first Thursday in September again?

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Perhaps MLB should schedule all their teams to play at a neutral site on the 1st Thursday in September just to accommodate the NFL (?) What nonsense. Our Ravens won the Super Bowl and I'm crazy happy about it. I don't care that we played our opener in Denver, just that we lost... Bc
    Most of the 30 MLB teams don't have the potential for a scheduling conflict with the NFL as pointed out before. Specifically on point about a SB champion playing the NFL opener at home the number of teams impacted is reduced to just one, the Ravens. Throw every other MLB and NFL team out of the discussion, this is specific to Baltimore. Suggesting every MLB team schedule to a neutral site is dramatic nonsense.

MLB and the Orioles released this schedule right after the discussion from last year's conflict was concluded on a national broadcast of the game that created the controversy. The ratings for the game were very high so the NFL is sure to keep this game on Thursday in the future. Call them greedy, but they only have 16 games and the playoffs to generate their revenue, not 162+. Believe what you want, but with full knowledge of the controversy created with the Ravens on opening day this schedule set the stage for this to happen again. Coincidence? I don't think so. This is the opposite of goodwill, it's an FU.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
    Most of the 30 MLB teams don't have the potential for a scheduling conflict with the NFL as pointed out before. Specifically on point about a SB champion playing the NFL opener at home the number of teams impacted is reduced to just one, the Ravens. Throw every other MLB and NFL team out of the discussion, this is specific to Baltimore. Suggesting every MLB team schedule to a neutral site is dramatic nonsense.

MLB and the Orioles released this schedule right after the discussion from last year's conflict was concluded on a national broadcast of the game that created the controversy. The ratings for the game were very high so the NFL is sure to keep this game on Thursday in the future. Call them greedy, but they only have 16 games and the playoffs to generate their revenue, not 162+. Believe what you want, but with full knowledge of the controversy created with the Ravens on opening day this schedule set the stage for this to happen again. Coincidence? I don't think so. This is the opposite of goodwill, it's an FU.
    Based on what happenned last Thursday, perhaps MLB made the assumption that the Ravens were not a risk to repeat as champions.

Quote Originally Posted by somedumbguy View Post
    Based on what happenned last Thursday, perhaps MLB made the assumption that the Ravens were not a risk to repeat as champions.
    Based on the success of the Orioles for decades it's much easier to conclude they're envious of the Ravens success.

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleguy View Post
    Spare me the NFL hates Baltimore crap. There are only a handful of teams that this affects. The A's were off on Thursday this year, and apparently they aren't home next year. Do you think the NFL really thought the Raiders were going to win the Superbowl over the Ravens and put that request in? The Orioles refused to budge on moving the game. They didn't have to budge, but they could have done so easily.
    Where did I say the NFL hates Baltimore? I said the NFL doesn't care. The NFL is about making money, as is any other good business. Do you really think that the NFL is upset about having to play the season opener in Denver this year? If so, i would love to hear why.

As for "they could have done so easily", that's nonsense. There was no way to move the game earlier. Period. Cannot be done. They share parking, and baseball is not on a clock, so you can't guarantee the game wouldn't have gone extra innings. They could have moved to a double-header over the weekend, but anyone who thinks that is 'easily' done doesn't understand baseball. Then you risk rainout further complicating things. Not to mention the fact that it wasn't a decision the Orioles could have made. The White Sox would have had to agree to it too.

You may not like baseball, but the Orioles are in a pennant race. One game matters a LOT right now. And playing a double-header is not good for a baseball team. Period. Full stop.

What could have been done 'easily' is for the NFL to play on Wednesday. Hell, they did it last year. And I point to that as Exhibit A to support the fact that the NFL didn't care whether the game was played in Baltimore or not.
    "Chin up, chest out."

As it stands, I literally hate the Orioles for pulling this routine once. Twice and something needs to be done.

The city needs to do something about this. Pass some kind of resolution that whichever event is a bigger draw for the town gets the parking lots and the smaller event gets relocated to UMBC or UMD.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleSunday View Post
    By my count, there are eight cities that would have a tough time hosting an MLB and NFL game in one day due to shared parking/facilities - Baltimore, Cincinnatti, Oakland, Kansas City, Philadelphia, Detroit, Atlanta, and Seattle. Only one of those eight baseball teams has a home game on 9/4. Coincidence?? I think not. SMH!
    That is pretty trifling.
    I take it as a personal "fuck you" from my hometown baseball team.

We take 70 some members to the O's $35 "All you cane eat" game in the left field suites every year. It's a good party, but I'm going to make a motion the Roost boycotts 'em next year.

There really is no excuse for that kind of professional misbehaviour.
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Where did I say the NFL hates Baltimore? I said the NFL doesn't care. The NFL is about making money, as is any other good business. Do you really think that the NFL is upset about having to play the season opener in Denver this year? If so, i would love to hear why.

As for "they could have done so easily", that's nonsense. There was no way to move the game earlier. Period. Cannot be done. They share parking, and baseball is not on a clock, so you can't guarantee the game wouldn't have gone extra innings. They could have moved to a double-header over the weekend, but anyone who thinks that is 'easily' done doesn't understand baseball. Then you risk rainout further complicating things. Not to mention the fact that it wasn't a decision the Orioles could have made. The White Sox would have had to agree to it too.

You may not like baseball, but the Orioles are in a pennant race. One game matters a LOT right now. And playing a double-header is not good for a baseball team. Period. Full stop.

What could have been done 'easily' is for the NFL to play on Wednesday. Hell, they did it last year. And I point to that as Exhibit A to support the fact that the NFL didn't care whether the game was played in Baltimore or not.
    One league is growing, the other is dying. The trend is not good for baseball.

c6e3c8ea91cef6cfe17cfa68e405113f.jpg
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_S...vision_ratings

Baseball is behind the NBA, College Bowl Games, horse racing, Golf, NASCAR and March Madness at drawing TV viewers. They are absent from the chart below while the NFL has the top 10 locked up.

untitled-1-661.jpg
    http://www.businessinsider.com/chart...ng-else-2013-7

The marque games of the world series had less than half the viewership that the Ravens/Broncos opening game. Heck, even the NFL combine managed 7.25m viewers compares to the WS at 7.6m. While Baseball is becoming more irrelevant each year the NFL is surging and isn't going to be bothered by their silliness. MLB is a nuisance, not competition.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by downside52 View Post
    As it stands, I literally hate the Orioles for pulling this routine once...
    Oh you mean that the Orioles should have taken into consideration that the Ravens may have won the Super Bowl ? ... Bc

Twice and something needs to be done.
    YES, call out the National Guard and let's get armed troops to deny the O's a baseball game so that the Ravens can (if they repeat as Super Bowl champions) play on that Thursday night... Bc

The city needs to do something about this. Pass some kind of resolution that whichever event is a bigger draw for the town gets the parking lots and the smaller event gets relocated to UMBC or UMD.
    YES again, let's forget about crime, poverty, and eroding infrastructure, but put all our municipal eggs in the "Orioles / Ravens" basket... Bc

Form this weeks SI Power Rankings:

Baltimore Ravens (0-1)
    The Ravens should take the tape from the second half of their game in Denver, light it on fire, then throw it into Camden Yards as a reminder to never make the defending Super Bowl champs adjust their schedule for a random Thursday night baseball game.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl...#ixzz2ebqT8MZI

Maybe they could have both games, with the O's early and simply not sell tickets to the O's game, but instead allow the first 40,000ish people that show up Raven's tix to see the O's play as well. hell, they give enough tix away anyway, and sometimes they can't even giv'em away cause no one will take them.

Quote Originally Posted by houstonraven View Post
    which you were dead set against when this idea was floated earlier this year.
    pwned!

There was like 17,000 tickets sold for the game and less were actually at the game. And that's even giving away hats to try and boost attendance.

Is that amount of people even going to create a crowding issue downtown?