Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 25 to 36 of 118
  1. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,586
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Did the Orioles/MLB schedule another home game on the first Thursday in September again?



    So what happens with the Navy/Ohio State game on Aug 30th? The O's play that day also.




  2. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Boston MA
    Posts
    791

    Re: Did the Orioles/MLB schedule another home game on the first Thursday in September again?

    Concerning the Navy Ohio State game, I assume that the football game is in the early afternoon and people will be cleared out for the Orioles Game. Since people don't tailgate for baseball games, they should be able to do it.

    If we repeat I will worry about this. One thing I did notice though is after that game the Orioles go on the road, leaving the stadium free for the Ravens to open at home next year for any game (Sunday or Monday) and then the Orioles are home for the next 2 weekends. Based on this schedule, next year the Ravens will probably start:

    Home
    Away
    Away or Home on Monday Night.

    Even if we win the Superbowl, screw tradition I think I would rather start at home on Sunday Night. Thursday's suck.

    (Got coffee and made some edits when I realized my writing is for sh*t.)
    Last edited by somedumbguy; 09-11-2013 at 08:55 AM.




  3. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    28,151
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Did the Orioles/MLB schedule another home game on the first Thursday in September again?

    Quote Originally Posted by somedumbguy View Post
    Concerning the Navy Ohio State game, I assume that game is in the evening and people will be cleared out for the Orioles Game. Since people don't tailgate for baseball games, they should be able to do it.

    If we repeat I will worry about this. One thing I did notice though is after that game the Orioles go on the road, leaving the stadium free for the Ravens to open at home next year for any game (Sunday or Monday) and then come back for the next 2 weekends. Based on this schedule, next year we will probably start:

    Home, Away, Away or Home, Away or Home on Monday Night.

    Even if we win the Superbowl, screw tradition I think I would rather start at home on Sunday Night. Thursday's suck.
    I agree.

    I'm not a huge fan of Thursday night games.

    Plus, the Ravens always seem to play better on Sundays at 1.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  4. #28

    Re: Did the Orioles/MLB schedule another home game on the first Thursday in September again?

    By my count, there are eight cities that would have a tough time hosting an MLB and NFL game in one day due to shared parking/facilities - Baltimore, Cincinnatti, Oakland, Kansas City, Philadelphia, Detroit, Atlanta, and Seattle. Only one of those eight baseball teams has a home game on 9/4. Coincidence?? I think not. SMH!




  5. #29

    Re: Did the Orioles/MLB schedule another home game on the first Thursday in September again?

    There is bad blood between the Orioles and Ravens. Reports are that the Orioles didn't even return calls about moving the game this year. I wouldn't be surprised if Angelos request to be at home every year on that Thursday.




  6. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Boston MA
    Posts
    791

    Re: Did the Orioles/MLB schedule another home game on the first Thursday in September again?

    Quote Originally Posted by Purpleguy View Post
    There is bad blood between the Orioles and Ravens. Reports are that the Orioles didn't even return calls about moving the game this year. I wouldn't be surprised if Angelos request to be at home every year on that Thursday.
    If they really wanted to screw them, he would request a home series for the weekend and force them to start on the road. I don't think Peter Angelos has anything to do with MLB scheduling. It is probably a lot of moving parts.




  7. #31

    Re: Did the Orioles/MLB schedule another home game on the first Thursday in September again?

    Angelos can certainly make requests. How do you think we've managed to not have any games on Labor day weekend the past 3 years for a stupid Grand Prix?




  8. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Roland Park
    Posts
    2,125

    Re: Did the Orioles/MLB schedule another home game on the first Thursday in September again?

    Quote Originally Posted by Purpleguy View Post
    There is bad blood between the Orioles and Ravens. Reports are that the Orioles didn't even return calls about moving the game this year. I wouldn't be surprised if Angelos request to be at home every year on that Thursday.
    This isn't team vs. team. It's league vs. league. After the way the NFL went out of their way to spin this (successfully, mind you) including during the Ravens/Broncos broadcast, I am quite sure MLB is going out of their way to say "fuck you."

    That said, the NFL can and does make requests of MLB schedulers, the same way the Grand Prix organizers do. They could have requested keeping the date open this past year. They didn't because they were apparently unworried that the Ravens had a chance to win the SB, or they just assumed they'd be able to bully their way into the date they wanted. I haven't seen anything to suggest they requested MLB keep that date open next year either. The bottom line is, the NFL just doesn't care. Really. They could not give less of a crap whether Baltimore gets to host the season opener as a reward for winning the SB. They did not lose one thin dime by having it in Denver this year. And they didn't lose any PR capital either, because the entire country believes it is the Orioles fault.

    BTW, the big problem with Ravens and Orioles having games at the same time is that parking is sold to season ticket holders. So if you have 600 spaces in Lot B, for example, you have already sold 1200 tickets for that lot. That's why it can't work. You don't have that problem for the Navy game, since no parking has been sold yet.
    "Leave. Your. Mark."




  9. #33

    Re: Did the Orioles/MLB schedule another home game on the first Thursday in September again?

    Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    This isn't team vs. team. It's league vs. league. After the way the NFL went out of their way to spin this (successfully, mind you) including during the Ravens/Broncos broadcast, I am quite sure MLB is going out of their way to say "fuck you."

    That said, the NFL can and does make requests of MLB schedulers, the same way the Grand Prix organizers do. They could have requested keeping the date open this past year. They didn't because they were apparently unworried that the Ravens had a chance to win the SB, or they just assumed they'd be able to bully their way into the date they wanted. I haven't seen anything to suggest they requested MLB keep that date open next year either. The bottom line is, the NFL just doesn't care. Really. They could not give less of a crap whether Baltimore gets to host the season opener as a reward for winning the SB. They did not lose one thin dime by having it in Denver this year. And they didn't lose any PR capital either, because the entire country believes it is the Orioles fault.

    BTW, the big problem with Ravens and Orioles having games at the same time is that parking is sold to season ticket holders. So if you have 600 spaces in Lot B, for example, you have already sold 1200 tickets for that lot. That's why it can't work. You don't have that problem for the Navy game, since no parking has been sold yet.
    Spare me the NFL hates Baltimore crap. There are only a handful of teams that this affects. The A's were off on Thursday this year, and apparently they aren't home next year. Do you think the NFL really thought the Raiders were going to win the Superbowl over the Ravens and put that request in? The Orioles refused to budge on moving the game. They didn't have to budge, but they could have done so easily.




  10. #34

    Re: Did the Orioles/MLB schedule another home game on the first Thursday in September again?

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Which you were dead set against when this idea was floated earlier this year.

    Get your facts straight, Sonny!

    IIRC, the possibility of the O's playing a 10:30am game was never brought up for discussion when we were debating the Rosh Hashanna options. It would not have been feasible due to the late arriving baseball players on the prior Wednesday night, limiting any daytime scheduling.

    While highly unlikely that the O's would agree to play a late morning game such as the case of some college football games, it could be feasible if there were a predetermined time suspension, and a stern towing policy for towing stragglers' vehicles after 3 pm who don't pay for a parking double-dip.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).




  11. #35

    Re: Did the Orioles/MLB schedule another home game on the first Thursday in September again?

    Quote Originally Posted by Purpleguy View Post
    Spare me the NFL hates Baltimore crap. There are only a handful of teams that this affects. The A's were off on Thursday this year, and apparently they aren't home next year. Do you think the NFL really thought the Raiders were going to win the Superbowl over the Ravens and put that request in? The Orioles refused to budge on moving the game. They didn't have to budge, but they could have done so easily.
    I agree. The idea that MLB and the O's don't have any inkling of a potential conflict on that Thursday until someone "requests" the date is patently nonsense. They all got amnesia last Friday?




  12. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,925
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Did the Orioles/MLB schedule another home game on the first Thursday in September again?

    Perhaps MLB should schedule all their teams to play at a neutral site on the 1st Thursday in September just to accommodate the NFL (?) What nonsense. Our Ravens won the Super Bowl and I'm crazy happy about it. I don't care that we played our opener in Denver, just that we lost... Bc




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland