Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Harbaugh's Rookie-phobia

Michael Oher started in all 16 games his rookie season. Marlon Brown started last night.

I'm not editorializing on the OP's original point; just reminding that it has happened, as someone said above that they can't remember Harbs ever starting a rookie.
    "A lot" is a two word expression denoting a great deal or greatly, as in "I like sunshine a lot." "Alot" is a lovable imaginary grammar monster. You can love a lot; you can love an alot; you can love alots a lot; but they are not the same thing.

That rookie Flacco really sucked his first year.

Good lord people. Really?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by owknows View Post
    I'm not suggesting that Harbaugh never plays rookies.. or never starts them. Only that he might place a greater value on inferior talent sometimes, because of experience. But for the sake of argument, who other than Flacco and Tucker (which were kind of necessary) would be on your long list?
    M. Oher , T. Smith, R. Rice, L. Webb, C. Upshaw, D. Pitta, P. McPhee, B. Pierce. All of these players played in at least 14 games or more in their rookie seasons under Harbaugh. To answer your question in a different way, NO I don't think Harbs puts greater value on inferior talent relative to more talented rookies. Rookies play when they are ready to play as determined by the coaching staff. And again there are plenty of examples of rookies getting allot of playing time.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
    M. Oher , T. Smith, R. Rice, L. Webb, C. Upshaw, D. Pitta, P. McPhee, B. Pierce. All of these players played in at least 14 games or more in their rookie seasons under Harbaugh. To answer your question in a different way, NO I don't think Harbs puts greater value on inferior talent relative to more talented rookies. Rookies play when they are ready to play as determined by the coaching staff. And again there are plenty of examples of rookies getting allot of playing time. , P. McPhee D. PittaC. UpshawC
    I don't think Elam showed anything in the preseason to suggest he was 'head and shoulders' above Ihedigbo, so the coaches evaluation of him as the #2 guy behind him seemed accurate enough.

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    He does not like to be blindsided by someone on the field making an unanticipated faux pas at a critical time.....
    Like NOT throwing the red flag on an obvious play....I agree! Rookie mistakes!!
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    Two words: Rookie mistakes. Harbaugh values consistency in play. He does not like to be blindsided by someone on the field making an unanticipated faux pas at a critical time; those are the sorts of incidents that lose games.
    Like running into your own return man and spraining his MCL.

Blog Entries
    Elam should start at FS, and Art Jones should replace Bynes as the evvery down starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenalytics View Post
    Like running into your own return man and spraining his MCL.
    Yeah! He should have had a quality starter in that spot! Maybe a veteran receiver. I can guarantee that a guy like Jacoby Jones wouldn't have run into Jacoby Jones like that!
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by ravenjoe View Post
    Like NOT throwing the red flag on an obvious play....I agree! Rookie mistakes!!
    If it was that obvious in real time, the refs would have gotten it right. All reports say that there was no replay in the booth, so I'll let that one go. The blame really goes to the NFL replay system, which is stupid beyond belief.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Elam should start at FS, and Arthur Brown should replace Bynes as the evvery down starter.
    FTFY (on the presumption that you do understand Art Jones plays DL & Bynes ILB...)

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    That rookie Flacco really sucked his first year.

Flacco never would have seen the field if Boller and Smith weren't out.

Clearly, the OP is on the right track. The owner himself stated that the team needed to make better use of its younger players sooner on. I guess you don't remember Webb sitting on the bench while Fabian Washington was out on the field, huh? It wasn't until Washington got injured that Webb saw the field. And the defensive backfield got an instant boost. So you want to play inventing alternate realities while the obvious is obvious? Be my guest. Harbaugh obviously has a philosophy regarding rookies that is similar to George Allen's. And Allen was a successful coach; he simply preferred proven vets over younger rookies -- that's why he always traded his rookies for vets. It's not saying it's necessarily right or wrong; just that it is what it is -- not what you're trying to twist it into.
    Last edited by RavensRule21215; 09-07-2013 at 09:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Flacco started due to two injuries, he was third in line. Lets not paint over the past, boller and that other guy were ahead of him...
    Oh, how fame is fleeting.

The Heisman Trophy winner is relegated to "that other guy" status.